Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do estate agents have a bad name?

Wikiposts

Why do estate agents have a bad name?

Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Why do estate agents have a bad name?

I'll tell you why - they don't know what they're doing and they really don't care. Apologies to any estate agents out there who don't fall into this category but I'm afraid you're all tarred with the same brush.
We agreed a sale with a couple who we were told by the agent were in rented had a mortgage in place and wanted to move in quickly. Great we thought. We should of exchanged last week, but after alot of back tracking and messing about, the agent has finally told us that they do have a place to sell and they have gone away on holiday and can't be contacted. When Mr. Bookie finally came down off the ceiling, we told them to put it back on the market. So basically we've lost 4 weeks of potential buyers and have had to put off shippers etc.
We dropped the price for our buyer, agreed to all their terms and what we would leave in the house even down to my nearly new washing machine which I was going to take and now we get this.
The estate agent has done nothing except very skillfully avoid telling us the real situation and failing to return telephone calls.
My faith in human nature has taken a bashing.
Off for a wee dram.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:33 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do estate agents have a bad name?

Originally Posted by Bookie
I'll tell you why - they don't know what they're doing and they really don't care..
sorry to hear about that...my bessie friend in the uk has worked for an estate agent for yrs and you would not believe the crooked wheeling and dealing that goes on
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:06 am
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Estate Agents don't work for us even though we pay them. And when we are buyers they don't seem to work for us either! I hate them! Hate the way they make you feel you are so insignificant no matter what position you are in. Hate them!

Sorry to any decent estate agents out there, I'm not talking about you - there again, I don't suppose many agents are on here.

Good luck to everyone dealing with Estate Agents - you need it!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there some kind of estate agents body you can report them to?

I'll tell you why - they don't know what they're doing and they really don't care. Apologies to any estate agents out there who don't fall into this category but I'm afraid you're all tarred with the same brush.
We agreed a sale with a couple who we were told by the agent were in rented had a mortgage in place and wanted to move in quickly. Great we thought. We should of exchanged last week, but after alot of back tracking and messing about, the agent has finally told us that they do have a place to sell and they have gone away on holiday and can't be contacted. When Mr. Bookie finally came down off the ceiling, we told them to put it back on the market. So basically we've lost 4 weeks of potential buyers and have had to put off shippers etc.
We dropped the price for our buyer, agreed to all their terms and what we would leave in the house even down to my nearly new washing machine which I was going to take and now we get this.
The estate agent has done nothing except very skillfully avoid telling us the real situation and failing to return telephone calls.
Off for a wee dram.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:37 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Off for a wee dram.
totaly agree with you

our lying usless basterd sorry estate agent sold our house not once but twice ( yippee we said each time )
only to find out later down the road that the lying usless basterds had taken offers from people without the abilty to pay
( ie dreamers without mortgages offers who subsequentley couldnt raise the required dosh )

please help form an angry mob so we can go an lynch a few of the lying usless basterds sorry estate agents

yours from my quite padded cell

steve
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do deserve the crap name.

We had a house to sell in UK- my late FILs- while we were in Oz.
Estate agent claimed that he showed 200 people through in 18 months...we went back, appointed new agents and had a sale within 1 month.

Lying cheating scum.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Off for a wee dram.
It's no consolation & I'm not trying to lecture but next time insist on documentary evidence that they have a mortgage & deposit, ie letter from their bank & mortgage provider.

Estate agents are tossers. Good luck next time.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

With the odd exception, Australian ones are appalling. They are in it purely for the money and to do as little as possible.

Measure the rooms? Oh, we don't do that - unless you pay.

Advertise? Oh, we don't do that unless you pay.

And the buyer is confronted by a feral youth whose attitude is - "write a cheque and don't bother me any more".
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Off for a wee dram.
Yep, they are in the same league as the sheepskin coat wearing 2nd hand car brigade .
We sold ours in the UK without an agent, we purchased a professional for sale board and advertised on the internet, we were lucky, we sold to first viewer for the full asking price.

A bit different in Australia, when you have agreed a price you sign a contract there and then, no waiting for a chain, the sale can be completed within 30 days but normally 60 days is more the norm. If the people you are buying from have not found a house at the end of the time period then its out into the rented market for them. It was a bit worrying the first sale that we did, we moved out of the house and into a holiday unit overnight whilst furniture spent an uneventful night in storage until moving into our present home.
There is no gazumping here either so I suppose thats a good thing.

Make your real estate work for their money in Oz, Qld has a fixed maximum commission that they can charge, I believe this is set by the state government, they can not charge any higher than this and you are able to negotiate a lower figure but to date I have only found real estate agents who charge this set fee and will not negotiate, therefore I believe in making them work for their money. When you are buying get them to pick you up and show you all the houses they have, dont be embarrassed they do it all the time. Be prepared to barter on the price, think nothing of offering 10-15% less. Always have a subject to finance clause in your contract even if you are a cash buyer, it will give you another outer should you need it.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:53 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
Yep, they are in the same league as the sheepskin coat wearing 2nd hand car brigade .
We sold ours in the UK without an agent, we purchased a professional for sale board and advertised on the internet, we were lucky, we sold to first viewer for the full asking price.

A bit different in Australia, when you have agreed a price you sign a contract there and then, no waiting for a chain, the sale can be completed within 30 days but normally 60 days is more the norm. If the people you are buying from have not found a house at the end of the time period then its out into the rented market for them. It was a bit worrying the first sale that we did, we moved out of the house and into a holiday unit overnight whilst furniture spent an uneventful night in storage until moving into our present home.
There is no gazumping here either so I suppose thats a good thing.

Make your real estate work for their money in Oz, Qld has a fixed maximum commission that they can charge, I believe this is set by the state government, they can not charge any higher than this and you are able to negotiate a lower figure but to date I have only found real estate agents who charge this set fee and will not negotiate, therefore I believe in making them work for their money. When you are buying get them to pick you up and show you all the houses they have, dont be embarrassed they do it all the time. Be prepared to barter on the price, think nothing of offering 10-15% less. Always have a subject to finance clause in your contract even if you are a cash buyer, it will give you another outer should you need it.
Just out of interest, where on the internet did you advertise. How easy was the whole process. I'm interested because I might try this approach.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:03 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Just out of interest, where on the internet did you advertise. How easy was the whole process. I'm interested because I might try this approach.

We're using www.housenetwork.co.uk. We get a professional for sale board, our property's advertised on all the property websites (rightmove etc), they arrange viewings, send brochures out, pass on offers. They don't value so we got other valuations and picked our own price. We do all the viewings but lets face it we would do with a high street agency. They take masses of photos, do virtual tours and a floorplan. There is an upfront fee of £199+VAT and if you sell through them it's about the same again. Also they don't have mailing lists but all high street EAs we talked to said most buyers use the internet these days.

Admittedly we've had no viewers yet but then neither have people we know round here with High Street agents.

We sold our last house completely privately by making our own board but then it was the height of the boom and our house was on a road with more passing traffic.

I would rather cut the price of my property by the amount of EAs commission than give money to the robbing b's.

Lou
xx
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's no consolation & I'm not trying to lecture but next time insist on documentary evidence that they have a mortgage & deposit, ie letter from their bank & mortgage provider.

Estate agents are tossers. Good luck next time.
Good idea, although it goes against the grain to have to do what you are paying the agent to do - namely selling your house quickly and efficiently and trusting them to have your best interests at heart.
I'm far too trusting, but hey, you learn the hard way.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

I am sorry I can not remember the exact site, this was back in 2000, we paid about 60GBP for the board. I also bought a book from WH Smith on selling houses privately and in the back was an address you could write to and they would send you out contracts and the paper work side, no need to use an agent or solicitor when selling, the FIL has always bought and sold without either, but he has the time to do all necessary searches.
There was another thread on here a short time ago regarding selling houses without agents.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:35 pm
kerrie/wayne

we agree crap useless estate agents ...dont they understand what you tell them
we said to ours to check out time taster and what did they do sent out a time waster who cheeky sods put a offer in and did even have the funds which we found out after easter and wasted a week on them ...we have two offers and lost them via the agent so put the house up with another agent and have to start all over ago...
we have lose around 4 months by agents farting around ....

we was hoping for june but think it will be sep n

so every one out there you think the visa is a pain wait til you try and sell your house stressed isn the word :scared:

cheers kez and wayne {need a few of them}

Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:31 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

April Which magazine had an article about this. The online agents they talked about were Halfapercent and Housenetwork. Both of these act completely as agents except you show the house yourself, they charge £250 upfront (for photos etc). Halfapercent's commission starts at 0.5 per cent plus VAT, Housenetwork's is 0.25 per cent and capped at £199 plus VAT.

Or there is houseweb which advertises your house for a private sale on a whole number of property websites for £129.

You can read the full article on Which.net (have to sign up for a free trial). Hope that helps
Martyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.