Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do brits overhype Australia so much

Why do brits overhype Australia so much

Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

wazzoz99 is a jewel in the roughwazzoz99 is a jewel in the roughwazzoz99 is a jewel in the roughwazzoz99 is a jewel in the roughwazzoz99 is a jewel in the rough
Default Why do brits overhype Australia so much

As a 25 year old british-Australian contract worker who travels regurlarly to Melboune and the US, Im alway underwhelmed and dissapointed by Australia. Ive lived between Melbourne and london for the first eighteen years of my life and I found Australia rather boring and uncultured. Theres seems to be hardly any diversity in the mainstream culture, theres rampant racism against minorities although there have been major improvements, the nightlife is dull and limited, the only things youths can do is get drunk, high culture is frowned upon while everyone seems to only celebrate sports and macho culture. Theres not much to do except go to a cafe, university or a nightclub and the food is expensive.And as a biracial man, I felt alienated and unwelcomed. And television and local culture is absolutely terrible and unstimulating. When I go to britain, inspite of yhe weather and economy, theres seems to be the warmth and acceptance. Theres always something exciting to do, you could one day attend an O2 concert and the next day visit ancient ruins. The people are much more diverse and the city feels so much more alive and fast paced when compared to melbourne. And I just love britis humour, i feel at home when I visit England. And british culture just offers much more. Australia just feels like a retirement home and a place to have a family. Why do brits hype up Australia so much
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do brits overhype Australia so much

Originally Posted by wazzoz99
As a 25 year old british-Australian contract worker who travels regurlarly to Melboune and the US, Im alway underwhelmed and dissapointed by Australia. Ive lived between Melbourne and london for the first eighteen years of my life and I found Australia rather boring and uncultured. Theres seems to be hardly any diversity in the mainstream culture, theres rampant racism against minorities although there have been major improvements, the nightlife is dull and limited, the only things youths can do is get drunk, high culture is frowned upon while everyone seems to only celebrate sports and macho culture. Theres not much to do except go to a cafe, university or a nightclub and the food is expensive.And as a biracial man, I felt alienated and unwelcomed. And television and local culture is absolutely terrible and unstimulating. When I go to britain, inspite of yhe weather and economy, theres seems to be the warmth and acceptance. Theres always something exciting to do, you could one day attend an O2 concert and the next day visit ancient ruins. The people are much more diverse and the city feels so much more alive and fast paced when compared to melbourne. And I just love britis humour, i feel at home when I visit England. And british culture just offers much more. Australia just feels like a retirement home and a place to have a family. Why do brits hype up Australia so much
When you find all these British people who 'overhype' Australia, why don't you ask them? In the meantime may I suggest a cup of tea, a Bex and a little lie down.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The ones that overhype, if any do, are probably those not living there but looking through rose tinted spectacles, and thos who have moved there and find it's just what they were told it would be. The vast majority are just pragmatic and get on with live or move back.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be appropriate for the likes of Chris and Grayling to give the definitive answer on that one, they never stop banging on about how good it is.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

@ OP
Is it just the TV image of big pink prawns on a beach?
To be honest I don't understand it either. I know of may people who very quickly found out how dull it was and went back to the UK.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conniewalker
@ OP
Is it just the TV image of big pink prawns on a beach?
To be honest I don't understand it either. I know of may people who very quickly found out how dull it was and went back to the UK.
What's so dull about it? I can understand the OP's sentiments, especially at his youthful age, but Oz must be about as good as anywhere else when it comes to settling down? I thought people returning to the UK generally did so because of relatives and/or the heat.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of Brits here in the UK do it because they just assume it must be so much better, most have never even been. Many in Australia also do it and will often list all the things that are absolutely impossible to do in the UK that they can do in Australia every day of the year. I dont know why they do it, maybe reinforcement? I wouldnt say dull but FOR US maybe bland and there just isnt enough going on but for others of course it gives them everything they want.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Polly, where are you?
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Visiting ancient ruins ........ yawnnnnnn...... now that is something that bores the pants off me.

Time for you to move somewhere down the A303. You can have that boredom that is Stonehenge everyday of the week.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Oh Polly, where are you?
She is around somewhere.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Visiting ancient ruins ........ yawnnnnnn...... now that is something that bores the pants off me.

Time for you to move somewhere down the A303. You can have that boredom that is Stonehenge everyday of the week.
Ah the lovely uncongested A303
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think many are just happy with their lives here, being happy doesn't mean overhype. The ones that overhype in my experience, are the ones that have never lived here.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

The thing that is the most boring is the OP. You don't have to come here if you don't like it. A concert at the O2? If you can get tickets. Meanwhile I could have seen Muse or Bon Jovi here just last weekend.
And best of all. I get to do all my outside activities without freezing my nuts off.
Lots of same shit different countries but no need to come on here with your first post bagging it.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Lots of Brits here in the UK do it because they just assume it must be so much better, most have never even been. Many in Australia also do it and will often list all the things that are absolutely impossible to do in the UK that they can do in Australia every day of the year. I dont know why they do it, maybe reinforcement? I wouldnt say dull but FOR US maybe bland and there just isnt enough going on but for others of course it gives them everything they want.
Talking to yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.