Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why is Darwin never mentioned??

Why is Darwin never mentioned??

Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:17 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is Darwin never mentioned??

I'm not thinking of moving to Darwin myself but I was wondering why it never seems to get a mention on here as a destination for those moving to Oz? Any ideas?. Lack of jobs is perhaps the obvious one that springs to mind but as I have never been to Darwin I can't really be sure.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all
Default Re: Why is Darwin never mentioned??

Hi

A bit of research on the climate might give you a reason? Tends to get a bit damp for some of the year,

Charlie
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

A bit of research on the climate might give you a reason? Tends to get a bit damp for some of the year,

Charlie
Damp would be an understatement.... but its part of Oz where people retire to BECAUSE of the climate. There is a good part of the year when the climate seems perfect, assuming you like high 20's, low 30's centigrade.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:23 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

couldent afford to live there!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

wmoore lived there

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=22399
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:47 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited it back in June... it was quite a good city! Of course, way too hot for us and that was in Winter.. plus the sandflies bit us to death! But that aside, it had a brilliant atmosphere !

Em x
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Damp would be an understatement.... but its part of Oz where people retire to BECAUSE of the climate.
Not sure that many people retire there out of choice.

In the 2006 Census the median age of persons in Darwin (Statistical Division) was 32 years, compared with 37 years for persons in Australia.
In 2006 when national unemployment was 5.2%, it was only 3.5% in Darwin.

Also, the median weekly family income was $1,488, compared with $1,171 in Australia.

Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure that many people retire there out of choice.

In 2006 when national unemployment was 5.2%, it was only 3.5% in Darwin.

Also, the median weekly family income was $1,488, compared with $1,171 in Australia.
There are occasionally threads on living there - some ADF (army) families are up there I think.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:04 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I was hoping this would be a discussion on the biologist, rather than the armpit of Australia.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gedge
I was hoping this would be a discussion on the biologist, rather than the armpit of Australia.
Not a fan then.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:21 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Not a fan then.
It never held anything for me other than the sweaty betty feel.
I guess if you want to get away from it all and don't mind the tropical humidity, the monsoons and cyclones...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:24 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I'm not thinking of moving to Darwin myself but I was wondering why it never seems to get a mention on here as a destination for those moving to Oz? Any ideas?. Lack of jobs is perhaps the obvious one that springs to mind but as I have never been to Darwin I can't really be sure.

- It's very isolated - so far away from anywhere else.

- Especially for Europeans there is a distinct lack of arts and culture.

- The weather. Very hot, very humid. Tropical storms. Hell, the whole city was destroyed by Cyclone Tracy.

- It's not a very big city, so probably not a lot of opportunities for a lot of people.

- It's the Australian stereotype on steroids - too much for many.

- You would have trouble finding many Australians who would want to live there.

By the way, I'm not saying Darwin is a bad place - after all it's definitely quite the tourist destination - just that it's not a place that appeals to many as a long term home.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you might be surprised if you actually went there. I see a lot of people putting up negative input on Darwin but those that have, how much time have you spent there and how recently. Darwin is not for everyone, the biggest drawback being the wet season and there are still those pesky indigenous issues.

I have two siblings living there and spent a month there in August. Could I live there - probably, but not forever. As for the Australian stereotypes being on steroids, I actually managed to not encounter any such person in my month there.

As for being isolated I suggest you look again. It is in a sense remote and isolated from the rest of Australia, but I am not sure that is a real loss. However the advantage is how cheap it is to get to Asia, flights to Vietnam, Singapore etc. are dirt cheap out of Darwin on Jetstar, cheap enough to make a weekend trip possible.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Heat Humidity Isolation

Barney
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

Funny how several people mentioned isolation as a downside, yet one of the most popular places for Poms to go is that city that's at the hub of all things, Perth, the most isolated large city on the planet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.