British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/why-cant-some-people-stand-hear-negative-views-australia-443228/)

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 3:38 am

Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664820)
Answer the question then please to inform me.

I have given my view earlier why i think it is

Please change my mind or open my eyes as to HOW different it is.

Just sying that it is isnt helping anyone

thanks

al

Ask sensible questions, I'll give sensible answers. if you need it to be explained that Australia and the UK are different countries with different cultures, histories, identities etc etc etc, you really are setting yourself up for a shock.

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 3:39 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4664799)
Like I said, I cant say what the difference is as such, but it is there...

Maybe it's the family thing, Aussies definitely do like to spend more time with their families especially kids, you always see them in the parks at weekends, big groups having BBQs and playing cricket or whatever.

Less emphasis on labels (certainly in my neck of the woods) no looking down on people because they are wearing something from Best & Less that cost $5.

That is just a couple more examples, like I said it's little things that add up...

So are you suggesting no families in the uk do this too

Its all a bit generalistic as to YOUR EXPERIENCE

I call pant pants and not trousers so am i australian. There are other parts of the uk where people spend alot of time with their families and i walk round in barefoot sometimes(did it last night to the petrol station) and i wash my feet when i get home.

al

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 3:40 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4664807)
Bugger, have to "spread" before I can give you K again... :(

I'd only spend it on cheap booze and loose men. ;)

I have enough - worry yourself not.

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 4664832)
Ask sensible questions, I'll give sensible answers. if you need it to be explained that Australia and the UK are different countries with different cultures, histories, identities etc etc etc, you really are setting yourself up for a shock.

You are born then go to school and then work and get a partner and have kids and pay taxes and get stuck in traffic and then die

in england (manches=ter in my experience) it pisses it down very often
In australia it will be sunnier and warmer

Whats the difference there. none.

Maybe not being able to get next clothing or go to boots or get a mars bar is horrifying for some people but not for me.

Paxing 10% GST on things WOW 17.5% in the uk.

This is my sensible answerable question to you:

What are major cultural differences between oz and the uk for you.

thanks

not trying to be an arse, i just want to see why i will be shocked and prepare myself.

al

bridie Apr 19th 2007 3:48 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664836)
So are you suggesting no families in the uk do this too

Its all a bit generalistic as to YOUR EXPERIENCE

I call pant pants and not trousers so am i australian. There are other parts of the uk where people spend alot of time with their families and i walk round in barefoot sometimes(did it last night to the petrol station) and i wash my feet when i get home.

al

FFS I was just trying to give examples as to how it's different :rolleyes:

I certainly dont know any families in the UK who would spend their Sundays down the park having a BBQ with a load of friends and family.....

Like I said IT'S HARD TO EXPLAIN

But anyone naive enough to think it's the UK with sun is in for a huge shock...

Swerv-o Apr 19th 2007 3:49 am

I think it's more to do with the way that things get done. Some things they do here are great, and you think why the hell don't they do that in England, where as other things, you think the complete opposite.

Buying a house for example, as I can combine both things.

Legally binding offer acceptance process, with completion 1 month after offer, penalty clauses apply if you don't sort it out on time. Why don't they do this in the uk?

But:

Viewing a house: May have to wait 4 weeks for the 25 minute 'Open for inspection' window, probably have to take the afternoon off of work to fit it in, only to be told by the agent he has "no idea" how much the vendor wants :confused: because he really wants to take it to auction. UK? Phone the agent, make an appointment go have a look, usually on your own, Agent tells you the asking price is xxxk pounds. How easy is that?

Stuff like that.

S

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664820)
Answer the question then please to inform me.

I have given my view earlier why i think it is

Please change my mind or open my eyes as to HOW different it is.

Just sying that it is isnt helping anyone

thanks

al

bridie Apr 19th 2007 3:51 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664857)

This is my sensible answerable question to you:

What are major cultural differences between oz and the uk for you.

thanks

not trying to be an arse, i just want to see why i will be shocked and prepare myself.

al

But then you say we are being generalistic and it's just our own experiences so make your mind up....

Dont prepare yourself for anything, come with an OPEN mind, dont expect Aus to be like anywhere....

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 3:54 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664857)
You are born then go to school and then work and get a partner and have kids and pay taxes and get stuck in traffic and then die

Whats the difference there. none.

You have just described most of Europe, North America, half of Asia and significant proportions of Africa.

What's the difference between any of them?

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 4664864)
I think it's more to do with the way that things get done. Some things they do here are great, and you think why the hell don't they do that in England, where as other things, you think the complete opposite.

Buying a house for example, as I can combine both things.

Legally binding offer acceptance process, with completion 1 month after offer, penalty clauses apply if you don't sort it out on time. Why don't they do this in the uk?

But:

Viewing a house: May have to wait 4 weeks for the 25 minute 'Open for inspection' window, probably have to take the afternoon off of work to fit it in, only to be told by the agent he has "no idea" how much the vendor wants :confused: because he really wants to take it to auction. UK? Phone the agent, make an appointment go have a look, usually on your own, Agent tells you the asking price is xxxk pounds. How easy is that?

Stuff like that.

S

Hi swervo thanks

you mean red tape and funny ways, but on the flip side the aussies wold think it was the same if they came to the uk.

Same everything then just all in a brighter light.

Im trying to get a REAL difference one you wouldnt get anywhere else in the world, like getting bum raped for having a tattoo not the ususal company or gov bollocks spilt out by idiots who think they know things

Thats what i cant get to the bottom of im sorry bridie and geordie.

As far as im concerned itd be like me moving to newcastle or scotland or ireland. The people talk funny anfd they have there frustrating or affable ways (own opinion) but hardly any of that bollocks affects me in the UK so why should it in Australia. Thats my question.

al

anawanahuanana Apr 19th 2007 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Three Legs (Post 4664780)
I believe there are many posters here who believe they are better off in Oz but if they really analysed their decision to move would realise their previous lives offered them more.

They choose to sweep that sentiment under the carpet by putting their fingers in their ears and shouting ...

Blah Blah Blah Blah ...

Sometimes a bad decision is hard to admit.

I am full of admiration to those posters who give an honest and frank opinion on how things sit.

This is absolutely spot on. Some people are afraid to admit that they may not be as well off here as they expected, and get upset when others point out the failings that Australia has. All countries have their bad points, so why is Oz exempt?

I work the same hours here as I did in the U.K. I have a bigger house here, and the weather is better. However financially I was better off in the U.K. Why do people assume that here I will spend all of my free time with my family, doing "wholesome family" things, whereas in the U.K I would obviously be doing something else (sitting in the pub perhaps?)? If people are that way inclined, they will do it anywhere. Besides, they seem to forget that in the U.K, I actually had a lot of family to spend time with. Here, I am part of a very small family unit.

If I were to say that I would be having more holidays if I lived in the U.K, and driving a better car, people would jump down my throat about being too materialistic. They'd then go on in another thread about the bigger house with a pool they've just bought (Ooooh. It's soooo much better than what we were living in before....)! So many people talk about coming here for a better life with more leisure time, but this isn't always possible in a lot of cases. Many people have to work more hours here to make anything like they were before they left, which leaves them less time for family, holidays (coupled with the lesser annual leave allowance on average), and generally enjoying the "lifestyle" that is so heavily promoted.

And if you haven't already secured a job in Oz, make no mistake, it isn't easy, and whatever you might hear on the grapevine about how much you can expect to earn, don't believe it until the first payslip is in you hand. Only then can you pass comment on how much family time, the comparative cost and quality of living, and overall improvement in you circumstances the move to Oz has made. People who sit back in their armchair in rainy Grimsby or wherever, and spout on about all the free time, flash cars, nice houses etc etc they're going to have when they arrive are dreaming, and they will be sadly, in most cases, but not all, proved wrong when they arrive.

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 4664878)
You have just described most of Europe, North America, half of Asia and significant proportions of Africa.

What's the difference between any of them?

in america gun culture
thailand military coup
china under communism
etc etc

give me why aus so different to the UK

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 4:04 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664917)
in america gun culture
thailand military coup
china under communism
etc etc

give me why aus so different to the UK

I did - identities, culture, histories etc etc etc.

You ignored it.

Shakmaty Apr 19th 2007 4:05 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen (Post 4664901)
Hi swervo thanks

you mean red tape and funny ways, but on the flip side the aussies wold think it was the same if they came to the uk.

Same everything then just all in a brighter light.

al

"funny ways":lol: do you mean cultural differences?

Geordie George Apr 19th 2007 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Shakmaty (Post 4664930)
"funny ways":lol: do you mean cultural differences?

No culture here, move along people.

alkristensen Apr 19th 2007 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 4664925)
I did - identities, culture, histories etc etc etc.

You ignored it.

i didnt

I didnt understand.

How in EVERYDAY life does being a pom in australia differ to the UK.

Please give examples.

thanks

alan