Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:11 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You're meant to be out running, not here encouraging gambling.

S

Oh hang it. $20 he lasts less than 6 months...

S
Say goodbye to your money...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:13 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I don't tend to find the word Pom offensive, but when I was on the receiving end of abuse by an Australian who in addition to calling me a Pom and telling me to go back home, I have to say I found it incredibly offensive. Again, it was the context in which the term was used.

That wasn't an incident outside a curry house we can't go in, was it?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm uncomfortable about people using the term wog too, but it comes down to how its being used. Like the word nigger being used by black people, and the word poof being used by gays, some ethnic communities have appropriated the term to describe themselves. But if the term is being used by someone who is Anglo, for example, and it's being associated with negative values, it becomes offensive to both non-wogs and wogs themselves.

I don't tend to find the word Pom offensive, but when I was on the receiving end of abuse by an Australian who in addition to calling me a Pom and telling me to go back home, I have to say I found it incredibly offensive. Again, it was the context in which the term was used.

Yes, context is the important factor good point, I've never heard Pom said in a nasty or negative way, but I have heard wog used in that sense (although also heard it on TV used just as a general word, in fact I think some Greek guy even did a film about himself called Wog Boy!)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
Enjoying the "lifestyle" that is so heavily promoted.
Sorry to mention it again, but I was absolutely gob-smacked at the episode of Wanted: Down Under I downloaded the other day. And again, it's no reflection on the family in question (who appeared to be far more sussed than many I've seen), but - what a total farce of a show.

Where was I. Oh yea, reason I bring up that show. They fly out a family from the UK for a week. Day three of their visit is their chance to sample the 'lifestyle'. So what do they do? Send 'em up in a seaplane over Sydney harbour and have a coffee in a cafe (they preferred tea, but were prepared to try some of this strange Australian coffee of myth and fable ). And then after that authentic taste of Aussie lifestyle they have to vote on whether they prefer the lifestyle here, or in the UK by twizzling some knackered cardboard flag around. What in the name of all that's holy has taking a pleasure flight above Sydney harbour got to do with aussie lifestyle? Not saying I don't like the aussie lifestyle, but last time I checked, taking pleasure flights over Sydney harbour weren't a daily occurence around here! If anyone in the UK was sitting there thinking - "That'll do for me, daily pleasure flights over the harbour in a seaplane, beats walking the pooch down dogshit alley in the pissing rain," then I reckon the airlines and shipping companies are going to do bloody well out of that show, on return journeys.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:26 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
That girl was pissed beyond all recognition wasn't she?

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:27 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

That girl was pissed beyond all recognition wasn't she?

S
Or you were. 'Twas a bloke telling me and D to sod off back to the UK; that our types weren't welcome here. (Or did you mean D? Or me?!)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Or you were. 'Twas a bloke telling me and D to sod off back to the UK; that our types weren't welcome here. (Or did you mean D? Or me?!)
Oh, I thought it was a pissed up girl. Doh. Maybe I had had enough by then...

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sorry to mention it again, but I was absolutely gob-smacked at the episode of Wanted: Down Under I downloaded the other day. And again, it's no reflection on the family in question (who appeared to be far more sussed than many I've seen), but - what a total farce of a show.

Where was I. Oh yea, reason I bring up that show. They fly out a family from the UK for a week. Day three of their visit is their chance to sample the 'lifestyle'. So what do they do? Send 'em up in a seaplane over Sydney harbour and have a coffee in a cafe (they preferred tea, but were prepared to try some of this strange Australian coffee of myth and fable ). And then after that authentic taste of Aussie lifestyle they have to vote on whether they prefer the lifestyle here, or in the UK by twizzling some knackered cardboard flag around. What in the name of all that's holy has taking a pleasure flight above Sydney harbour got to do with aussie lifestyle? Not saying I don't like the aussie lifestyle, but last time I checked, taking pleasure flights over Sydney harbour weren't a daily occurence around here! If anyone in the UK was sitting there thinking - "That'll do for me, daily pleasure flights over the harbour in a seaplane, beats walking the pooch down dogshit alley in the pissing rain," then I reckon the airlines and shipping companies are going to do bloody well out of that show, on return journeys.
Hey, I'm just glad that my post has given you something to write about!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The drought, fly in over a state that is completely brown, states that you read are green and lush. Live in a city with enough water to last eight months...

See a state ravaged by bushfire then hear a pom talking about how great it is it hasnt rained
*taking deeeeeeeeep breaths & counting to 10 ..........*

:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:53 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one! Thank goodness we had newly arrived in Australia - what a great welcome that would have been...

Oh, I thought it was a pissed up girl. Doh. Maybe I had had enough by then...

S
I think this may be an insight into why you don't have more success with the ladieeees
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:55 am
has lost The Game

That's the one! Thank goodness we had newly arrived in Australia - what a great welcome that would have been...

I think this may be an insight into why you don't have more success with the ladieeees
I'm hearing that...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:56 am
Cup of tea, Father?

I'm hearing that...
'S OK though, N. We're going to go shopping and sort you out. Then the ladieeees of Sydney will be your mollusc.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:02 am
has lost The Game

'S OK though, N. We're going to go shopping and sort you out. Then the ladieeees of Sydney will be your mollusc.
Shoppping for what exactly?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:05 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Shoppping for what exactly?
OK, the education of Miss Jean Brodie might take longer than expected.

Lesson 1: remember conversations with women. We never forget anything. Ever.

(Aussie Yoof evening - conversation about smelly.)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:10 am
has lost The Game

OK, the education of Miss Jean Brodie might take longer than expected.

Lesson 1: remember conversations with women. We never forget anything. Ever.

(Aussie Yoof evening - conversation about smelly.)
Oh, I remember that now. Just needed a bit of a prompt...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.