Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't i buy tangerines / satsuma's in Oz

Why can't i buy tangerines / satsuma's in Oz

Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why can't i buy tangerines / satsuma's in Oz

Eh, why? These skinny skinned things with 3 pips in every segment are doing my head in

Rant over

Jazzys
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why can't i buy tangerines / satsuma's in Oz

The honey tangerine is known as the murcott here. I've not seen satsumas.

For mandarins with a low pip count I choose clementines, afourer or imperial (batches of imperials can sometimes be pippy). I've noticed some confusion between clementines and imperials (i.e. the former being sold as the latter) so it does pay to look at the label.

PS: It's close to the end of season for mandarins now so I've started moving back onto Navel Oranges which are dead cheap at the mo (less than $1 a kilo the other day).

Last edited by MartinLuther; Aug 29th 2009 at 10:31 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The honey tangerine is known as the murcott here. I've not seen satsumas.

For mandarins with a low pip count I choose clementines, afourer or imperial (batches of imperials can sometimes be pippy). I've noticed some confusion between clementines and imperials (i.e. the former being sold as the latter) so it does pay to look at the label.

PS: It's close to the end of season for mandarins now so I've started moving back onto Navel Oranges which are dead cheap at the mo (less than $1 a kilo the other day).
No one knows what the hell i'm talking about if i mention satsuma's. I don't really like the taste of clementines that much, its a different beast altogether isn't it

jazzys
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:35 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I have a satsuma Plum tree in my orchard , your quite welcome to come and pick them , we tend to prefer the Blood plums.........mm
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mr mover
I have a satsuma Plum tree in my orchard , your quite welcome to come and pick them , we tend to prefer the Blood plums.........mm
I don't even know what a satsuma plum is?

jazzys
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jazzys
No one knows what the hell i'm talking about if i mention satsuma's. I don't really like the taste of clementines that much, its a different beast altogether isn't it

jazzys
I agree. But as we are all different I prefer the clemmies to satsumas (did in the UK as well). Didn't hate satsumas and the taste of clemmies can vary from batch to batch. I always found tangerines to be pippy. I only remember them in the UK as a kid. I thought they'd pretty much disappeared there as well. I find murcotts too pippy.

Have you tried a tangelo? I don't like them so you might. They have a thick skin and are not too pippy.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

I don't even know what a satsuma plum is?

jazzys
It's a plum.

They are nice if you like plums though.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:41 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

The satsuma is a Blood plum WE prefer the mariposa variety the flesh is blood red and the juice stains everything, the other variety of plums have yellowfesh and are not so juicy...............nice but.......mm
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Never heard of a tangelo either, cheers, i'll look out for those.
Is it an arse on trying to grow your own?

Jazzys
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, every time I mention satsumas here people think I am on about plums!

I am told marderines are exactly the same thing, but they are not I tell you!

Last edited by pumpkin blossom; Aug 30th 2009 at 12:02 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of different types of Mandarin, we have a Satsuma plum tree too its one of the most prevalent varieties here I actually prefer greengage and we also have one of those in the garden.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Petals
Lots of different types of Mandarin, we have a Satsuma plum tree too its one of the most prevalent varieties here I actually prefer greengage and we also have one of those in the garden.
Well thats very nice for you but its not a plum i'm after, sadly

Jazzys
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:55 am
ABCDiamond

It would appear that they aren't grown here commercially.

I also used to wonder about them in the past, but got used to the local option of Mandarins, some of which are seedless.

Some comments from the Mandarin section on the Australian Citrus Growers website:
Okitsu Satsuma
Fruit from southern growing areas would compete with Queensland Imperials on Australian market. Short marketing season of 3 to 4 weeks before fruit becomes puffy and loses internal quality. Difficult to handle due to its ‘soft’ fruit characteristic.

Miho Satsuma
Similar to Okitsu satsuma, but could enter market one week earlier.
Taste test comparisons between the 2 Japanese satsumas, show the Okitsu has been the preferred selection.
Clementines
success with any of these clementines is yet to be consolidated. Many early plantings of these varieties in Australia have since been pulled-out or reworked.
Murcott The Honey tangerine ?
This is the second most widely planted mandarin in Australia with extensive fruit supply to both domestic and export markets (principally SE Asia).
Mandarin Varieties:
Afourer, Amigo, Arrufatina, Clausellina, Clementard, Clementine, Corsica , lementines, Daisy, Ellendale, Ellenor, Eloise, Encore, Fallglo, Fortune, Fremont, Hernandina, Hickson, Imperial, Miho, Murcott, Nova, Okitsu, Page, Pixie, Sunburst,Topaz

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Aug 30th 2009 at 4:01 am.

Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:32 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of a tangelo either, cheers, i'll look out for those.
Is it an arse on trying to grow your own?

Jazzys
Nothing like satsumas, too sour for me!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

ooooooooooh jazzy i too miss satsumas terribly!! could eat them by the kg load - let me know if you find anything to replace them