Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why is Britain number one?

Why is Britain number one?

Old May 25th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is Britain number one?

I find it a little strange that the UK is still the biggest source country for migrants to Australia. As has been pointed out, the culture is actually quite different, it's about as far (and expensive) to get to as anywhere, and the material standard of living is broadly similar. Surely, there must be a lot more Indians wanting to come down here. Given Indians have good English language skills and there are millions of them with that are well educated, and Australia no longer has a discriminatory immigration policy, why are there still more British people coming here? Is the power of day time soaps that great?
Old May 25th 2008, 1:13 am
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Britain number one?

They would work harder for less money too, no doubt.

Like my local sushi bar, there's definitely something fishy going on.
Old May 25th 2008, 1:19 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
I find it a little strange that the UK is still the biggest source country for migrants to Australia. As has been pointed out, the culture is actually quite different, it's about as far (and expensive) to get to as anywhere, and the material standard of living is broadly similar. Surely, there must be a lot more Indians wanting to come down here. Given Indians have good English language skills and there are millions of them with that are well educated, and Australia no longer has a discriminatory immigration policy, why are there still more British people coming here? Is the power of day time soaps that great?
UK isn't number one. New Zealand is.
Old May 25th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Because Britain is the softest welfare state in the world.
Old May 25th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Budawang;6390340]I Surely, there must be a lot more Indians wanting to come down here. Given Indians have good English language skills and there are millions of them with that are well educated, and Australia no longer has a discriminatory immigration policy, why are there still more British people coming here? QUOTE]

Their call centre training in command of the Oztralian language will pay off for them.

Just wait till they turn up at your front door at dinner time. You wont be able to hang up on them then.

WW
Old May 25th 2008, 9:07 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I read some stats on the last intake and the numbers of Indians were on a par with UK intake.It had'nt been previously.India has been flavor of the month lately.
Old May 25th 2008, 11:14 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why is Britain number one?

UK's Indian population: 1.8% (source).
Australia's Indian population: 1.2% (source).
The two figures are reasonably close; Britain's Indian population that much larger than Australia's.

Top 5 countries of birth for immigants to Australia:

United Kingdom (1,153,264
New Zealand (476,719)
China (279,447)
Italy (220,469)
Vietnam (180,352)
Source.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 25th 2008 at 11:16 am.
Old May 25th 2008, 11:39 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

UK's Indian population: 1.8% (source).
Australia's Indian population: 1.2% (source).
The two figures are reasonably close; Britain's Indian population that much larger than Australia's.

Top 5 countries of birth for immigants to Australia:

United Kingdom (1,153,264
New Zealand (476,719)
China (279,447)
Italy (220,469)
Vietnam (180,352)
Source.
What about current annual rates of migration? My innacurate anecdotal evidence of observations at DIMIA offices and doctors at hospitals indicates Indians are the current major wave. I'm just too tired to do the googling for something accurate.
Old May 25th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

I´ve put in bold the answer to your question.
Old May 25th 2008, 4:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Why is Britain number one?

Originally Posted by IvanM
What about current annual rates of migration? My innacurate anecdotal evidence of observations at DIMIA offices and doctors at hospitals indicates Indians are the current major wave. I'm just too tired to do the googling for something accurate.
Can't help you there, but I believe Australia's looking at around 130-300k p.a.

Don't quote me on that.
Old May 25th 2008, 5:01 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Why is Britain number one?

Here we go; some figures for Australian immigration covering the year 2005-2006:

Permanent (settlers) 131.6 hundred thousand

Long-term 326.7 hundred thousand
Source.

So that's a total of 458.3 hundred thousand immigrants in one year, with nearly a third of them remaining as permanent settlers and the rest staying on as long term residents.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Here we go; some figures for Australian immigration covering the year 2005-2006:

Permanent (settlers) 131.6 hundred thousand

Long-term 326.7 hundred thousand
Source.

So that's a total of 458.3 hundred thousand immigrants in one year, with nearly a third of them remaining as permanent settlers and the rest staying on as long term residents.

There's been a big increase in the immigration intake for 2008/2009 to 190,000. There will also be a lot more temporary (e.g. subclass 457) people coming to these shores. Quite a few of these temporary people will end up staying I suppose.
Old May 26th 2008, 11:18 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Why is Britain number one?

Yep, it's all good.

Old May 26th 2008, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

UK has a long history of migration from India, it's going to be the natural choice for many expats with existing family connections.

I think there has been a big increase in Indian migrants to Australia over the last 4 years.

Have a chat with your next taxi driver. Chances are, if he is from the sub-continent, he will be studying accounting or IT.

Take a look at the diversity of many TAFE courses leading to skills in demand occupations (cookery, hairdressing, etc). These courses are a sure route to PR.
Old May 26th 2008, 9:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The man who found my fishing rods at Brisbane airport was an Indian and his colleague was East Asian.

Just walking around Toowong and Indooripilly shopping malls you will see several different nationalitiesand creeds, including muslims, often wearing their traditional dress.

It is easy to imagine that most migrants are from the UK but that is simply not the case.

The government have stated a wish to increase migration from the Indian sub continent.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.