Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who's gonna win The Ashes?
Australia
36.62%
England
52.11%
Draw (Australia retain - not win)
11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:16 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Originally Posted by fraser
If we had of picked a second spinner wouldn't we have lost Broad?
I wouldnt change it for the world at the moment
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Another 100 runs and it's curtains for the Aussies surely. Even 240 is looking like a tough 4th innings score.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:23 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Generali
Another 100 runs and it's curtains for the Aussies surely. Even 240 is looking like a tough 4th innings score.
But the Aussies can actually bat,unlike England....i reckon we need 330 minimum.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:25 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

If we had of picked a second spinner wouldn't we have lost Broad?
There was none to pick anyway. Rashid? Too big a risk to try him in a critical game. Panesar has been bowling pies.

Think Harmison would have been dropped. Broad got a five fer at Headingly.

Even Pietersen would be handy. But he's injured.

So they'll have to do it with one.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Burbage
There was none to pick anyway. Rashid? Too big a risk to try him in a critical game. Panesar has been bowling pies.

Think Harmison would have been dropped. Broad got a five fer at Headingly.

Even Pietersen would be handy. But he's injured.

So they'll have to do it with one.
Well it's going pretty well so far.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I stayed up till 4.30 this morning watching it
If England get rolled for less than 100 its still game on IMO....and the way they batted the last 90 minutes theres a very big chance..so its still game on.
I went to bed when it was raining, woke up at 6.30 looked on the net and must ave woken the whole house..gutted I missed it.

Not entirely confident of victory yet as this is England, Strauss and Trott can put on another 50 odd we're there I believe.
The beauty of cricket is that you never know..

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And what did i say this morning?

Naaah dont listen to me, i'm a middle aged grandma. What do i know about cricket?
Would it make any difference if you were an old-aged grandma?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

But the Aussies can actually bat,unlike England....i reckon we need 330 minimum.
If the Aussies were to chase 470 successfully then I think that would be the highest ever 4th innings winning score.

300 is a lot to get in a 4th innings which must be the absolute minimum possible target England can set from here. People misunderestimate* how difficult it is to score batting last.

Edit: Highest winnning 4th innings score was 418 by the WI (presumably not the Womens Institute) vs Australia. Australia's highest was 404 which was against England in 1948.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content...ds/222199.html

If you're interested.

*(c) President GW Bush

Last edited by Generali; Aug 21st 2009 at 12:51 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Bat for 2 days and then there is no way England can win
lol

If they had batted for 2 sessions, never mind 2 days, it would have been an improvement.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:47 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The beauty of cricket is that you never know..

Would it make any difference if you were an old-aged grandma?
Probably not. Us women become invisible at 45
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:50 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Anyone who claims that the Oval was doctored is simply munching on sour grapes. The groundsmen said they would prepare a typical Oval pitch, and they've done exactly that. There's no funny business here. England have simply bowled better, that's all there is to it.

No, you'll be safe at 200. Australia clearly can't cope with swing bowlers; that's been obvious since the first Test. We came to the UK with a relatively weak bowling attack and a few rookies in the team, so I expected us to lose the Ashes - and we have!

We'll lose our #1 ranking and probably have to wait a while before we get it back, but that's fair enough; you can't stay on top forever. We've dominated international cricket for some decades now, so there's nothing to be ashamed of.

England's performance has been somewhat haphazard to say the least, and a 2:1 victory isn't exactly superstar material; more like "Phew, that was lucky"! But it will give the Poms some consolation after the 5:0 whitewash in 2007.

Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

If Mike Hussey doesnt get the chop then I'll eat the crotch out of my mankini.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:55 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Anyone who claims that the Oval was doctored is simply munching on sour grapes. The groundsmen said they would prepare a typical Oval pitch, and they've done exactly that. There's no funny business here. England have simply bowled better, that's all there is to it.

No, you'll be safe at 200. Australia clearly can't cope with swing bowlers; that's been obvious since the first Test. We came to the UK with a relatively weak bowling attack and a few rookies in the team, so I expected us to lose the Ashes - and we have!

We'll lose our #1 ranking and probably have to wait a while before we get it back, but that's fair enough; you can't stay on top forever. We've dominated international cricket for some decades now, so there's nothing to be ashamed of.

England's performance has been somewhat haphazard to say the least, and a 2:1 victory isn't exactly superstar material; more like "Phew, that was lucky"! But it will give the Poms some consolation after the 5:0 whitewash in 2007.

As I've said before this has been a fascinating contest between two very average teams
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:36 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
As I've said before this has been a fascinating contest between two very average teams
100 % correct neither side are world beaters
I've watched more cricket in the last few weeks than i ever have...really enjoyed it despite the late nights ( 4.30 AM this morning )
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:40 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yep Australia have been too bloody good for the last 2 decades,much longer really than most countries dominate for normally.
I'm just waiting for England's turn at being 'the daddy' .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep Australia have been too bloody good for the last 2 decades,much longer really than most countries dominate for normally.
I'm just waiting for England's turn at being 'the daddy' .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............
Could take a while!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.