Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who decides the names for streets??!

Who decides the names for streets??!

Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Who decides the names for streets??!

Was having a look at property in Duncraig (Perth) and I've found.....

Bernard Manning Drive

I kid you not!

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...alia+6023&z=16
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:03 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Who decides the names for streets??!

Bogan Street, Albion, QLD 4010.

Click on Street View and the first thing you see is a Commodore ute. Good times!

Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who decides the names for streets??!

Mostly it's the local govt who come up with the names but this can depend. From looking at StreetView on Google all of those houses appear to be brick and tile 15-20 year old places. If a developper (like Delfin) buy up a large plot of land they often have the freedom (within reason) to create roads and subplots at will and can also name accordingly too, so long as the name is not the same as another street name within that suburb. So I would say that it was the private developper who named this one
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Mostly it's the local govt who come up with the names but this can depend. From looking at StreetView on Google all of those houses appear to be brick and tile 15-20 year old places. If a developper (like Delfin) buy up a large plot of land they often have the freedom (within reason) to create roads and subplots at will and can also name accordingly too, so long as the name is not the same as another street name within that suburb. So I would say that it was the private developper who named this one
I worked for a while in the unit that labels the computerised maps for use by 000 despatchers for Fire and Ambulance. We used to get paper plans of the estates with the road names and house numbers and had to translate this onto the computerised version.
The worrying bit was the lack of imagination on behalf of the councils, who were naming the roads. Numerous occuences of "Lakeside Road/Avenue/Place" or "Bayview........." or "Springfield......." or "Garden..........". Apparently the boss raised the subject at a planning meeting once, saying that it caused a lot of confusion among despatchers, and was told that the name of the road really can have a major effect on the ability to sell houses there, and ones called things like Lakeside or Garden sell quickly - especially to British immigrants! Looking at the growth of places like Springfield Lakes and North Lakes, they were probably right!

The other scary thing about the job was the time lag between the building of house and the submission of the plans to us. I was labelling whole areas of roads that had become established suburbs 4 or 5 years before, and the councils had only just sent us the info. Worth noting if you are on a brand new estate and ring 000, the despatcher may need help to locate you :blink
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:40 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I worked for a while in the unit that labels the computerised maps for use by 000 despatchers for Fire and Ambulance. We used to get paper plans of the estates with the road names and house numbers and had to translate this onto the computerised version.
The worrying bit was the lack of imagination on behalf of the councils, who were naming the roads. Numerous occuences of "Lakeside Road/Avenue/Place" or "Bayview........." or "Springfield......." or "Garden..........". Apparently the boss raised the subject at a planning meeting once, saying that it caused a lot of confusion among despatchers, and was told that the name of the road really can have a major effect on the ability to sell houses there, and ones called things like Lakeside or Garden sell quickly - especially to British immigrants! Looking at the growth of places like Springfield Lakes and North Lakes, they were probably right!

The other scary thing about the job was the time lag between the building of house and the submission of the plans to us. I was labelling whole areas of roads that had become established suburbs 4 or 5 years before, and the councils had only just sent us the info. Worth noting if you are on a brand new estate and ring 000, the despatcher may need help to locate you :blink
This is probably one of THE major parts of my job as our company is one of the producers of these digital maps. The problem resides in the inefficient workings of local governments and State based legislation. These areas are referred to as Private Estates, whereby developpers buy up huge plots of land and are not required to pass on the layouts and naming of the streets and plots to local councils until they pass over utilities duties to the governing council. Then the council themselves have to produce the maps. That whole process can take years and is one of the main reasons I am in a job as we go around driving these to collect them through GPS units. As soon as the Govt get their act together I will likely be out of a job
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
This is probably one of THE major parts of my job as our company is one of the producers of these digital maps. The problem resides in the inefficient workings of local governments and State based legislation. These areas are referred to as Private Estates, whereby developpers buy up huge plots of land and are not required to pass on the layouts and naming of the streets and plots to local councils until they pass over utilities duties to the governing council. Then the council themselves have to produce the maps. That whole process can take years and is one of the main reasons I am in a job as we go around driving these to collect them through GPS units. As soon as the Govt get their act together I will likely be out of a job
Don't think you need to worry for a while thinking of the chaotic system I was working within!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:43 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

how about Gogulger Stock Route, Gidgegannup? hmm that just rolls off the tongue, you wouldn't tire of spelling that over the phone eh?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie

Bernard Manning Drive

I kid you not!

The road I used to live in the UK was called Caroline. It was explained to me later that all the roads had been named after the developers family. So we had Heather road and Duncan road etc.

As hard as I tried, I couldn't find 'up my own arse' road.

JTL
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
how about Gogulger Stock Route, Gidgegannup? hmm that just rolls off the tongue, you wouldn't tire of spelling that over the phone eh?
You'd just living in Wales...
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

We lived on a small estate in the UK where the main road was named after the house builders (Huntingate) and the 3 cul-de-sacs were after one of the directors kids.

Our new house is going to be Elspeth Circuit ....yuk, yuk, apologies to any Elspeth's out there but I can just see that is going to be such fun giving our address out on the phone! I don't know if it's anything to do with the lady who originally owned the land the estate is built on. The actual estate has quite a nice name so I don't know why we just couldn't be number so and so and the estate name.

Mind you the next door estate has got some odd road names so maybe we aren't too badly off!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:20 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Many of my local streets are named after famous Antartica explorers eg Shackleton, Scott, Evans, Mawson, Oates, etc.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When the Husband was in the fire brigade in the UK, they'd get called out to a street that none of the guys had heard of. As is probably the case in towns and villages everywhere, the locals have different names for roads and they'd get called to a street and after about 20 minutes driving around they'd realise that the road they were looking for, they all knew as a different name No one ever came to any harm.

It also got confusing if a crew came from a neighbouring town and had been given the local name, which obviously didn't show up on any maps
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

I believe when the Government is putting up new roads the Surveyors are the people who name them.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Noranda WA has an area with streets named after Monopoly names.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie

Bernard Manning Drive

I kid you not!

It's named after a local politician, not the racist comedian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.