Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

A whinge from the wife...

A whinge from the wife...

Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default A whinge from the wife...

It's not often that you hear me complain about things, but here's a success story...

I went to a local landscape supplies shop to order some soil for the garden yesterday to be delivered this morning. I told the guy at the shop any time after 9am. He said how about between 9:30 and 10am? I said great. Paid him and left.

This morning at 7:30, while I was in the middle of settling the two girls into day care, I got a call from JTL, who was at home getting ready for work, saying someone was there to deliver some soil and wanted to know where to dump the soil. I said the soil was to be piled between the trees in the back garden but I was coming home right away to sort it out.

Got home, you guess it, the soil was already dumped, but not where it was supposed to have been. The delivery guy dumped it between some trees but not exactly where I wanted it. I was very upset that he turned up 2 hours early without a phone call. It wasn't the delivery man's fault as he did only what he was told - arriving early and putting soil in the wrong place. He said he could phone the office for me. I said not now I have to drop off my husband at the train station.

When I got home I phoned the shop and explained the situation. The guy apologized for delivering early. I said that wasn't enough. It messed up too many things. There was a reason for agreeing on a delivery time. He asked what I wanted him to do. I said either move the soil for me, or refund me and take the soil away. He said we can't do that, we can offer you free delivery next time. But what if I never order from you again?! How's that a compensation? I asked if I could speak to the owner? He said no. What about your superior? I am the manager of this shop. I said right I'll complain formally then. He asked to whom. I said I would look up the appropriate ways to complain - I would write to the authority, the newspaper and even the radio station. He said don't forget we've got lawyers and can sue you for defamation. I said fine (or bullsh*t or some other rude word) but how can you sue me if I'm only stating the truth.

I got off the phone fuming and decided to phone their other branch near by to see if I could get hold of the general manager. Spoke to the manager of that shop and explained again the situation. He apologized on behalf of the company and said he would speak to the GM. The GM phoned me a few minutes later, apologized profusely, and offered me two options - they come and move the soil to where I want it, or refund me fully and leave me to deal with the soil. I said I was happy with either.

So there you go, after telling the story 3 times, I got myself 3.5 cubic meters of soil, free, in the wrong place. Now I just need JTL to move the soil...

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Baltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A whinge from the wife...

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It's not often that you hear me complain about things, but here's a success story...

I went to a local landscape supplies shop to order some soil for the garden yesterday to be delivered this morning. I told the guy at the shop any time after 9am. He said how about between 9:30 and 10am? I said great. Paid him and left.

This morning at 7:30, while I was in the middle of settling the two girls into day care, I got a call from JTL, who was at home getting ready for work, saying someone was there to deliver some soil and wanted to know where to dump the soil. I said the soil was to be piled between the trees in the back garden but I was coming home right away to sort it out.

Got home, you guess it, the soil was already dumped, but not where it was supposed to have been. The delivery guy dumped it between some trees but not exactly where I wanted it. I was very upset that he turned up 2 hours early without a phone call. It wasn't the delivery man's fault as he did only what he was told - arriving early and putting soil in the wrong place. He said he could phone the office for me. I said not now I have to drop off my husband at the train station.

When I got home I phoned the shop and explained the situation. The guy apologized for delivering early. I said that wasn't enough. It messed up too many things. There was a reason for agreeing on a delivery time. He asked what I wanted him to do. I said either move the soil for me, or refund me and take the soil away. He said we can't do that, we can offer you free delivery next time. But what if I never order from you again?! How's that a compensation? I asked if I could speak to the owner? He said no. What about your superior? I am the manager of this shop. I said right I'll complain formally then. He asked to whom. I said I would look up the appropriate ways to complain - I would write to the authority, the newspaper and even the radio station. He said don't forget we've got lawyers and can sue you for defamation. I said fine (or bullsh*t or some other rude word) but how can you sue me if I'm only stating the truth.

I got off the phone fuming and decided to phone their other branch near by to see if I could get hold of the general manager. Spoke to the manager of that shop and explained again the situation. He apologized on behalf of the company and said he would speak to the GM. The GM phoned me a few minutes later, apologized profusely, and offered me two options - they come and move the soil to where I want it, or refund me fully and leave me to deal with the soil. I said I was happy with either.

So there you go, after telling the story 3 times, I got myself 3.5 cubic meters of soil, free, in the wrong place. Now I just need JTL to move the soil...

Mrs JTL
Good on you
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:35 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya

Have you got the refund back yet though
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:06 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs JTL... It'll save money on your gym membership.. at least they came on the right day !
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Give him something to do, instead of posting stories about you
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:27 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Mrs JTL
That'll keep him busy...and fit
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:29 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

well done you!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good girl Mrs JTL. Don't take crap from these peons. You're the customer and as such deserve to be treated respectfully.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Or cripple my back

Can I just point one flaw in her story. She told me over the phone to get the guy to dump the soil between the trees at the back, and then when she gets home of course she says, 'no, not those trees'

What she really meant was, 'between the trees beside the fence in the back', but that crucial 'beside the fence' part would have made it too easy.

JTL
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You're her husband, you should have known exactly which trees, without having to ask.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yeah missus.
Don't move the earth before they refund you or they may claim they put it in the right place.
Oh, unless it rains heavily...and then it's okay to have him move it
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:51 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs JTL
Whats a GM? A Genetically Modified person? Your the type that stands no nonsense Did Mr JTL congratulate you? How much have you saved? I need loads of the stuff.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Baltibabe
Good on you
Thanks, I'm glad the story made you laugh. Should I contribute to you thread asking for photos? I don't just know how a pile of soil can ease your homesickness though.

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Good onya
Thanks. It's a reputable company and I've still got faith in people, sometimes.

Originally Posted by datamile
Mrs JTL... It'll save money on your gym membership.. at least they came on the right day !
Are you trying to say I need a gym membership?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Give him something to do, instead of posting stories about you
The garden work will put his back off and he wouldn't be able to go into the office and I would get stuck with him. May be not a great idea.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
See above reply to Penny.

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
well done you!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Good girl Mrs JTL. Don't take crap from these peons. You're the customer and as such deserve to be treated respectfully.
I don't take crap from peons or giants.

Or cripple my back

Can I just point one flaw in her story. She told me over the phone to get the guy to dump the soil between the trees at the back, and then when she gets home of course she says, 'no, not those trees'

What she really meant was, 'between the trees beside the fence in the back', but that crucial 'beside the fence' part would have made it too easy.

JTL
Please read Penny's second reply.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You're her husband, you should have known exactly which trees, without having to ask.
You know exactly what I'm thinking. May be I should've married you Penny but would you really move 3.5 cubic meters of earth for me?

Originally Posted by Bix
Yeah missus.
Don't move the earth before they refund you or they may claim they put it in the right place.
Oh, unless it rains heavily...and then it's okay to have him move it
Good idea, Bix. That reminds me, I'm going to put a tarp over the stuff tomorrow morning.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

You know exactly what I'm thinking. May be I should've married you Penny but would you really move 3.5 cubic meters of earth for me?
Err, No! But then I would have obviously known which trees you meant
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

3.5 metres????? We've got 12 metres of mulch to shift.

Soil isn't so bad, much easier than gravel
Attached Thumbnails A whinge from the wife...-kro0143.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.