Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Where have you been today?

Where have you been today?

Old Sep 19th 2018, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where have you been today?

I lived there way before 1994, but still a good place to kick back with a beer over looking the river on an evening. I guess the 'old' characters that seemed to be plentiful in number have passed on by now, but they made the place in the 'old days'. Many spoke fondly of the British, (army)whom were based just out of Melaka and a certain colonial Englishness, prevailed, for want of another term, among some of these characters, be they Chinese, Malay or indeed Indian. Some had served in the British forces and were pleasantly disposed to Brits it seemed. So many invites to houses for meals and invites to weddings and trips and so on. Hard to find friendlier people. Over latter years I have noticed that the novelty has worn off a bit, with far more Westerners about and far more materialism.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot say Malaka in Melbourne...... Just sayin.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 12:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Surely it's more a Greek thing than a Melbourne thing. I know there are a lot of Greeks in Melbourne but even so.......
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
But life isn't just a monopoly game you should have begin to realise. Sydney booming? A house of cards on quick sand comes to mind. Singers is way in front of Sydney. In location, in business, in everything I can point a finger at. Okay place to be an ex pat, with all expenses, otherwise forget it, far prefer KL anyway. But Singers, a city I first went to many decades ago as an eighteen year old back packer, at a time when Singers was still holding out as cheap, with hordes of Aussies attracted for that very reason , being cheap and Asia in miniature, has changed probably more than any other city I can think of on the planet. KL would rank close to it. I suppose smaller cities like Malacca are up there as well, but hardly well known.

I still think a trip across the causeway would be beneficial. My only question being, if true, for someone who claims to travel to Singers four times a year, be so uninformed about Malaysia, to address it as the 'arm pit' of Asia?
I have back packed across the causeway. Also done it in a suit. Johor is the start of the bicep of the arm that leads to the pit.

It's a pity you don't have the funds to get to the good spots. Not that it matters. It only matters that you pretend otherwise.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just for a walk, with the dog around Coburg Lake, very close to me, less than 300 meters to the start of the parkland.

Swans in Coburg
Old Sep 20th 2018, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have back packed across the causeway. Also done it in a suit. Johor is the start of the bicep of the arm that leads to the pit.

It's a pity you don't have the funds to get to the good spots. Not that it matters. It only matters that you pretend otherwise.
You must have looked a 'right wally' back packing in a suit, but there you go, takes all sorts. I guess being somewhat Asia illiterate just further confirms we shouldn't have too high expectations on sensible posts. I wonder If you can comprise a comment without the referral to money in some form? It those without it, of course, that constantly harp on about it.
But hey, Vasco, any gems of wisdom brought back from the inscrutable East? Or did shell shock being out of comfort zone,impact on any sensible, not to say rational observations?
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You must have looked a 'right wally' back packing in a suit, but there you go, takes all sorts. I guess being somewhat Asia illiterate just further confirms we shouldn't have too high expectations on sensible posts. I wonder If you can comprise a comment without the referral to money in some form? It those without it, of course, that constantly harp on about it.
But hey, Vasco, any gems of wisdom brought back from the inscrutable East? Or did shell shock being out of comfort zone,impact on any sensible, not to say rational observations?
Well that's your main issue in life .... lack of money. As you say, you are stuck in Perth and hating it.

I feel for those who can't get away from places they hate because finances restrict a move.

I don't feel for those who hide the truth .... you.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well that's your main issue in life .... lack of money. As you say, you are stuck in Perth and hating it.

I feel for those who can't get away from places they hate because finances restrict a move.

I don't feel for those who hide the truth .... you.
There's a definite pattern developed here. Money being on your mind every conscious hour awake. I bet you have night mares about it as well. I don't feel for those who rate such a commodity so highly, as a rule, but in your case, I do understand the falling house prices combined with such a mind shattering mortgage must be playing havoc on any resemblance to rational. Again those that with constancy refer to it, do so because they don't have it. Financial embarrassment it was once called.
While Walter Riley brought back the humble 'earth apple' from his American tour of discovery, I at least thought you would have returned with a small nugget of wisdom. Alas should have known, little chance in reality. I guess sitting in Singers traffic and hotel mini bar wasn't particularly contusive to profound thought or much in the way of discovery.
But hey, don't feel too bad you didn't head Out West. Nowhere is perfect. Just that Sydney is more meh, than many city's its size.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There's a definite pattern developed here. Money being on your mind every conscious hour awake. I bet you have night mares about it as well. I don't feel for those who rate such a commodity so highly, as a rule, but in your case, I do understand the falling house prices combined with such a mind shattering mortgage must be playing havoc on any resemblance to rational. Again those that with constancy refer to it, do so because they don't have it. Financial embarrassment it was once called.
While Walter Riley brought back the humble 'earth apple' from his American tour of discovery, I at least thought you would have returned with a small nugget of wisdom. Alas should have known, little chance in reality. I guess sitting in Singers traffic and hotel mini bar wasn't particularly contusive to profound thought or much in the way of discovery.
But hey, don't feel too bad you didn't head Out West. Nowhere is perfect. Just that Sydney is more meh, than many city's its size.
None which bothers me in the slightest of course (my suburb is up 8% from my purchase price), however you are really concerned about falling house prices. Why is that?

You should be encouraging me to earn more and more. After all, the more I earn, the more I contribute to your ability to retain your government job. Which means the more you can save towards your pending retirement, maybe, maybe just keeping you out of those nasty retirement homes you speak so highly of on the other thread.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

None which bothers me in the slightest of course (my suburb is up 8% from my purchase price), however you are really concerned about falling house prices. Why is that?

You should be encouraging me to earn more and more. After all, the more I earn, the more I contribute to your ability to retain your government job. Which means the more you can save towards your pending retirement, maybe, maybe just keeping you out of those nasty retirement homes you speak so highly of on the other thread.
Have you broken into the mini bar and consumed its contents again so early in the morning, or is it more a 'home consumption' matter? The reality being you should be on bended knees, thanking me for my considerable tax contributions, helping to pay off that loan, which as you know was beyond rational affordability, but appearances being so important, a pain you are prepared to endure, Especially with the likes of people like me contributing towards NG to make' assist your fantasy of being somebody appear true.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you broken into the mini bar and consumed its contents again so early in the morning, or is it more a 'home consumption' matter? The reality being you should be on bended knees, thanking me for my considerable tax contributions, helping to pay off that loan, which as you know was beyond rational affordability, but appearances being so important, a pain you are prepared to endure, Especially with the likes of people like me contributing towards NG to make' assist your fantasy of being somebody appear true.
If you feel the need to use NG go ahead. People with money don't use NG. People with money positively gear. Drinking from the ABC Koolaid again?
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
But you'd get away with it in Sydney though.....
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you feel the need to use NG go ahead. People with money don't use NG. People with money positively gear. Drinking from the ABC Koolaid again?
People with lucre pay cash. Only pretenders play pretentious games. ABC is a fine Australian institution that deserves saving from the awful destructive ill named Lib's, whom want to rule out accountability regardless of cost and lie through their back teeth without being called to answer.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First swim of the season today. Down at Cottesloe Beach. Brilliant in the water. A fair number present considering the time of year. Hard to beat Perth for weather and beach. Fishing pretty good as well, fishers tell me. Place to be.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First swim of the season today. Down at Cottesloe Beach. Brilliant in the water. A fair number present considering the time of year. Hard to beat Perth for weather and beach. Fishing pretty good as well, fishers tell me. Place to be.
Hooray. You have finally moved on from culture and history and enjoying some simple pleasures. Keep up the good work.

For what it's worth, a light dip here down at Coogee, some early dinner and a few brews at the Justin Hemms place (the name escapes me) then the final ever sporting event at the Sydney Footy Stadium. Support neither team nor the sport (prefer rugby union) Local derby atmosphere electric then the members bar put on free food and booze as they have to get rid of it before its demolished. Free booze in these nanny state times is unheard of. Good to see times are changing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.