Wikiposts

where to go today

Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:42 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to go today

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it

When we first came here I kept taking wrong turnings - not getting lost as such but I always seemed to be in the wrong bloody lane and missed my turning. Then I realised that at most major junctions in Brisbane, you could turn right or left from the middle lane so now I just hog that

But I lived a bit out in the sticks in the UK so moving to a city with it's traffic took a bit of getting used to. For the last 6 years, my worst traffic headache was to get stuck behind a tractor The traffic isn't so bad here on the whole but it is unpredictable. My jouney to work could take 25 minutes one day and 80 the next so I've taken to using the toll bridge. $2.40 to pretty much guarantee I get to work on time is well worth it.
As you can see I live in Holland, and traffic here is as bad or maybe even worse because of the drivers themselves, but I go to work at about 04.30am so I don't have much trouble with traffic jams. When I go home it is busy, but at least I missed the worst in the mornings.

As you say to turn right you need to get in the left hand lane still freaks me out a bit, and the traffic lights take soooooooo long. I don't really mind, it just takes time to adjust.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:43 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
As you can see I live in Holland, and traffic here is as bad or maybe even worse because of the drivers themselves, but I go to work at about 04.30am so I don't have much trouble with traffic jams. When I go home it is busy, but at least I missed the worst in the mornings.

As you say to turn right you need to get in the left hand lane still freaks me out a bit, and the traffic lights take soooooooo long. I don't really mind, it just takes time to adjust.
At least we don't have the hook turn up here :scared:

I understand Holland has 19 million people and 22 million bikes? And you drive to work?
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:47 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
good idea mate
this is the same reason i post photos. i think it gives people a better idea of what u are doing rather than seeing the same old pics of Oz in mags
I can't agree more, the only thing is what I have seen today in the Yarrow range is so fantastic, even in the photo's I have taken you cannot see the real beauty and the feeling of being overwhelmed by the beauty of it all.

Maybe its the buzz of being here and looking at the country (I hope) which will be my future, but today is one of the top 10 days in life.

I'm also on a high, because i've seen a company that I would like to buy, and the same day got a possible job offer including sponsoring. (Things could get confusing !)
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:50 pm
Going for a ride

At least we don't have the hook turn up here :scared:

I understand Holland has 19 million people and 22 million bikes? And you drive to work?

19 million people

22 million bikes

35 million stolen every year

I used to cycle to work at one time, but that was about 12km every day, but I now work 30km away, which at 04.30am is a bloody long, cold, tiring and often wet ride.

Yes I definitely drive !!!!!!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:51 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
not enough posters show others there pots.
That beer must be good
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:54 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

19 million people

22 million bikes

35 million stolen every year

I used to cycle to work at one time, but that was about 12km every day, but I now work 30km away, which at 04.30am is a bloody long, cold, tiring and often wet ride.

Yes I definitely drive !!!!!!
Fair enough

Sounds like your trip has been well worthwhile anyway. I remember when we came for our first visit (after we had decided to move anyway). It backed up everything we had thought and in fact was even better. I know it's difficult not to find everything so damn good on a holiday but even now (7 months in) I'm still finding it the same.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:05 pm
Going for a ride

Fair enough

Sounds like your trip has been well worthwhile anyway. I remember when we came for our first visit (after we had decided to move anyway). It backed up everything we had thought and in fact was even better. I know it's difficult not to find everything so damn good on a holiday but even now (7 months in) I'm still finding it the same.
I can't agree any more.

Everything is so different, so new and very mesmorising. I have made a mental note of the down sides of things that I encounter. Thats maybe the advantage of being here on my own, and not with wife and kids, I have time to contemplate everything I see.

When I get home in a weeks time, I will have a very good picture in my mind of what I would like in Oz. I'm sure it also gives you time to prepare mentally for the first few months if you have been here on a working holiday.

It's quite funny really, my boss thinks i'm here for a family wedding, and my friends think i'm here for a conference.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

It's quite funny really, my boss thinks i'm here for a family wedding, and my friends think i'm here for a conference.
Great stuff. We'd told everybody what we were doing so there was no doubt. I'd also told my boss I would be not just on holiday but looking for work too! I had an interview lined up and got a call about another while I was here. When I got back, he pulled me in the office and said "so when are you leaving?". I did get down to the last 2 for this job but they needed somebody to start immediately and I couldnt'. My boss was fairly convinced I wouldn't be going back to work.

And the ironic thing is that just before I left, the last thing I did was recruited a South African to replace me. He had just arrived in England
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:51 pm
Going for a ride

Great stuff. We'd told everybody what we were doing so there was no doubt. I'd also told my boss I would be not just on holiday but looking for work too! I had an interview lined up and got a call about another while I was here. When I got back, he pulled me in the office and said "so when are you leaving?". I did get down to the last 2 for this job but they needed somebody to start immediately and I couldnt'. My boss was fairly convinced I wouldn't be going back to work.

And the ironic thing is that just before I left, the last thing I did was recruited a South African to replace me. He had just arrived in England
I must admit the facade is difficult to uphold. A number of good friends have already sussed it out, i'm sure that one of my bosses has an idea that something is not right, and this week I was on skype with my wife and told her about job interviews and buying a business, and I suddenly thought shit !! the kids are listening !! I would so love to tell them, but we don't want everybody to know just yet.

I was never a good liar, but i'm getting better all the time !!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I've had a bite to eat, and the first cold brew has been opened.

Here's a few pictures for those interested.

These are views of the Yarra valley, and the Yarra Range.
Hi Furkew, Mr HP here.
Beautiful pics - can you remember where you took the last one of the valley, with the lake from?

I used to do an awful lot of my cycle training up that way and I love it up there...(which is why Mrs HP has just shown me your pics). You've made me very nostalgic (we're currently in UK again)!! There were some beautiful views from along the roads up there - not surpised you are mesmerised by it all, it really is breathtaking.

I see you caught the bird of prey display too - that wedge tail eagle is something else, isn't it?

Good luck with the emigration
Mr Hp
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:07 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Furkew, Mr HP here.
Beautiful pics - can you remember where you took the last one of the valley, with the lake from?

I used to do an awful lot of my cycle training up that way and I love it up there...(which is why Mrs HP has just shown me your pics). You've made me very nostalgic (we're currently in UK again)!! There were some beautiful views from along the roads up there - not surpised you are mesmerised by it all, it really is breathtaking.

I see you caught the bird of prey display too - that wedge tail eagle is something else, isn't it?

Good luck with the emigration
Mr Hp
Hi Mr HP,

The picture of the lake is on the way to Elizabethville. I don't exactly know the name, but there was a special spot to photograph the views, with a cafe etc. I was told there was a dam down to the left behind the trees, but couldn't quite see it myself

The wedge tail was amazing, but I thought the owl was fanatastic, swooping over everybodies heads, the sanctuary is a definite " must see " for anybody if in the area.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:50 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
How about Healesville Sanctuary (60kms) - would be great if you want pics of Aussie animals to send the kids.

Or Kinglake NP, and Yarra Valley? Beautiful scenery at Kinglake, might spot the odd wombat or echidna. Vineyards at Yarra Valley will be lush and green - grape harvesting, etc (not to mention a spot of wine tasting )

I took your advice today to travel to kinglake.

I typed in the oordinates into the navigation system, and set off.

turn right after 500m

turn left after 2.4km

bear right etc etc

then I get out of the city finally, and the navigation system cheerfully chirps, and now follow for 200km !!!!!

Sod that !!!!

I couldn't find the distance from Melbourne on the net, so I assumed it was about 60/80km. WRONG.

I did take some pictures of the area about 30km abouve Melbourne, and I travelled a short way on the "old Sydney road" an 885km gravel road.

Lovely surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails where to go today-img_0453.jpg   where to go today-img_0457.jpg   where to go today-img_0458.jpg   where to go today-img_0459.jpg   where to go today-img_0460.jpg  

Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:52 pm
Going for a ride

Hi Mr HP,

The picture of the lake is on the way to Elizabethville. I don't exactly know the name, but there was a special spot to photograph the views, with a cafe etc. I was told there was a dam down to the left behind the trees, but couldn't quite see it myself

The wedge tail was amazing, but I thought the owl was fanatastic, swooping over everybodies heads, the sanctuary is a definite " must see " for anybody if in the area.

I don't kn ow where I got the name elizabethville from, I should have meant marysville. Sorry.

typical bloody tourist, can't even get the names of towns right.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I took your advice today to travel to kinglake.

I typed in the oordinates into the navigation system, and set off.

turn right after 500m

turn left after 2.4km

bear right etc etc

then I get out of the city finally, and the navigation system cheerfully chirps, and now follow for 200km !!!!!

Sod that !!!!

I couldn't find the distance from Melbourne on the net, so I assumed it was about 60/80km. WRONG.

I did take some pictures of the area about 30km abouve Melbourne, and I travelled a short way on the "old Sydney road" an 885km gravel road.

Lovely surroundings.
If you put Kinglake in Here:
http://www2.visitmelbourne.com.au/di...047C/vvt.vhtml

It gives 55kms and 1 hour from Melbourne.... what did you put in?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pootle
If you put Kinglake in Here:
http://www2.visitmelbourne.com.au/di...047C/vvt.vhtml

It gives 55kms and 1 hour from Melbourne.... what did you put in?
It takes us about 1.5 hrs to get there from the other side of the Westgate bridge and taken the scenic drive through Kangaroo grounds up there Great fun in an MR2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.