Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When a visit home becomes a marathon

When a visit home becomes a marathon

Old Mar 24th 2016, 12:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default When a visit home becomes a marathon

I've only been in the UK for 5 months, but I'm going home next month to visit my dear old Ma and step-Dad. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but in the flurry of messages between myself and my 3 sisters I'm now also booked to go to Margaret River with them all, and to Prevelly with one, and to Bali with another.

The first 2 trips will be fine, but I f'n hate Bali and I f'n hate hot weather. I'll be glad to get back to the UK, and I haven't even left yet
Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When a visit home becomes a marathon

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
but I f'n hate Bali and I f'n hate hot weather.
OK .... My first trip to Bali I hated too. Stayed in Seminyak (posh place for bogans) and it was just the pits. Never wanted to go back.

Second trip, through force, ended up in a beautiful hotel south of the airport for a few days. Didn't leave the hotel, didn't need to, then trekked a few hours along the coast to some little tiny village on the coast - dead quiet, dead peaceful, and pretty much all it had was a bar/restaurant on the beach which was perfect.

I'd take Thailand any day over Bali but if needs must, stay the hell away from Kuta, Seminyak and those crap holes.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been in the UK for 5 months, but I'm going home next month to visit my dear old Ma and step-Dad. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but in the flurry of messages between myself and my 3 sisters I'm now also booked to go to Margaret River with them all, and to Prevelly with one, and to Bali with another.

The first 2 trips will be fine, but I f'n hate Bali and I f'n hate hot weather. I'll be glad to get back to the UK, and I haven't even left yet

My last trip home was like that. It was just a constant run around catching up with people, all of which assume that they are special, and you will make an exception to set time aside to visit them.

No real suggestions beyond a broad announcement saying "I will be in this pub at this time, be there or miss out..."

I'm trying to encourage my folks to do a bit more travelling so that I get to see some different stuff instead of the place where I grew up all of the time.

Thinking about Christmasing in Europe this year. Anybody have any recommendations?

S
Old Mar 24th 2016, 4:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hope you have an extra hour for the long awaited coffee.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Thinking about Christmasing in Europe this year. Anybody have any recommendations?

S
Unless you have a fetish for skiing and are willing to run the risk of early season no snow. There is no point.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
OK .... My first trip to Bali I hated too. Stayed in Seminyak (posh place for bogans) and it was just the pits. Never wanted to go back.

Second trip, through force, ended up in a beautiful hotel south of the airport for a few days. Didn't leave the hotel, didn't need to, then trekked a few hours along the coast to some little tiny village on the coast - dead quiet, dead peaceful, and pretty much all it had was a bar/restaurant on the beach which was perfect.

I'd take Thailand any day over Bali but if needs must, stay the hell away from Kuta, Seminyak and those crap holes.
That gave me such a laugh Beoz - a laugh directed at myself, not you. I'm staying in Seminyak I wouldn't touch Kuta with a barge pole, great place for late teens/twenty-somethings, but not for me.

Couple of reasons why it's Seminyak - the two of us are staying in a very nice villa with a large private pool, down a gang off 'Eat Street'. The villa comes with a few staff to do the cooking/shopping/cleaning etc and there's security every night (although I know from experience that this usually translates as all the security boys from the different villas gathering down the end of the gang together, smoking and snoozing).

The only venturing out we'll be doing is for dinner and there are some good restaurants in the area, plus there are no hawkers or touts. Now if only they could turn the sun down.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

That gave me such a laugh Beoz - a laugh directed at myself, not you. I'm staying in Seminyak I wouldn't touch Kuta with a barge pole, great place for late teens/twenty-somethings, but not for me.

Couple of reasons why it's Seminyak - the two of us are staying in a very nice villa with a large private pool, down a gang off 'Eat Street'. The villa comes with a few staff to do the cooking/shopping/cleaning etc and there's security every night (although I know from experience that this usually translates as all the security boys from the different villas gathering down the end of the gang together, smoking and snoozing).

The only venturing out we'll be doing is for dinner and there are some good restaurants in the area, plus there are no hawkers or touts. Now if only they could turn the sun down.
Are you going to do an update on your new life in the Uk.Would love to hear how it is all going B.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:46 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
My last trip home was like that. It was just a constant run around catching up with people, all of which assume that they are special, and you will make an exception to set time aside to visit them.

No real suggestions beyond a broad announcement saying "I will be in this pub at this time, be there or miss out..."

I'm trying to encourage my folks to do a bit more travelling so that I get to see some different stuff instead of the place where I grew up all of the time.

S
I've never thought much about it Swerv-o, but after reading your post it seems like rather a common thing (everyone wanting a piece of you on visits home/back). It's nice that people want to spend time with you, but there's only so much you can fit in.

Re Christmas in Europe - how about a river cruise that connects different Christmas markets? You get to see/experience more than one place and you only have to unpack once. Watch out for the gluhwein though, it's lethal!
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:47 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well I hope you have an extra hour for the long awaited coffee.
Now you I can make time for Will be in touch via PM Dorothy x
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:48 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Are you going to do an update on your new life in the Uk.Would love to hear how it is all going B.
Hello lovely - yes, I keep meaning to write an update but haven't got around to it yet. I'll get off my lazy bum and do it before I leave for Oz.

You're sounding very chipper these days, and it's so good to hear that you're feeling good x
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello lovely - yes, I keep meaning to write an update but haven't got around to it yet. I'll get off my lazy bum and do it before I leave for Oz.

You're sounding very chipper these days, and it's so good to hear that you're feeling good x
All good here,thank you.Looking forward to reading it.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh. Well on the bright side Seminyak is one step up from Kuta, but a very small step in my opinion.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:58 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Beoz
Oh. Well on the bright side Seminyak is one step up from Kuta, but a very small step in my opinion.
One small step from Kuta, one giant step for two women who are only interested in swimming, talking, sleeping, feeding their faces with nice food and getting several cocktails down their necks

I know what you mean though. There are so many lovely, quiet places there and I'm glad you found one. Oh well, this will undoubtedly be my last visit so I'll just lay back on the sun lounger and think of England.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:59 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by irishbloo
All good here,thank you.Looking forward to reading it.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 12:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Now you I can make time for Will be in touch via PM Dorothy x
Can hardly wait. You let me know when and where and I'll be there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.