Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When it stops being 'Oz' and becomes just home ...

When it stops being 'Oz' and becomes just home ...

Old Dec 26th 2009, 11:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default When it stops being 'Oz' and becomes just home ...

At the risk of encouraging the disenfranchised to weigh in with the mind-numbingly predictable 'Well some of us ....' comments (we get it, you're not happy), I was just curious about this aspect of emigrating and thought I'd naively make a new thread about it.

I was just wondering when it was that people moved from that new-country mode to home mode. It occured to me today that, seven Christmases in, it feels far more natural to go for a post-lunch surf on Xmas day than it does to go for a post-lunch walk in the woods in wellies. Like many things in life I suspect it's one of those gradual changes that you only really notice when someone points it out to you.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:48 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When it stops being 'Oz' and becomes just home ...

For me it's realising that I haven't needed to look up where I'm going in the street directory for ages and not being surprised when I meet someone I know whilst out.......and losing that feeling of just wanting to drive and drive until I get back to my U.K Hometown.

It also became home when I was no longer Homesick.

Best I can do at this hour Hutch.....

Jan
Old Dec 26th 2009, 2:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

I was just wondering when it was that people moved from that new-country mode to home mode.
Six years, 2 months and counting....if I ever feel its home I'll let you know

I know you will lump me in with the disenfranchised, but as I'm online and most people aren't you'll have to put up with it
Old Dec 26th 2009, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Home is where the heart is.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess I'm one of the "Some of us"brigade but you know what Hutch?Been there and done the whole surf thing,xmas included and now I'm older I prefer the walk in the woods!I still hit a surfboard,but usually in places like South India,and Sri Lanka!How times change!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 2:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Home is where the heart is.
Never a truer phrase
Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I was telling a family member about my current relationship scenario, she immediately said to me "are you coming home now?"

I replied "I am at home" ... That's when I knew

It hadn't actually occurred to me before that.

This is where my friends are now, my job, my kids are settled and have their own lives, my whole life is here. Now, ok, it Its far from perfect, but it is most definately my home.. That is for definate

Em x
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

At the risk of encouraging the disenfranchised to weigh in with the mind-numbingly predictable 'Well some of us ....' comments (we get it, you're not happy), I was just curious about this aspect of emigrating and thought I'd naively make a new thread about it.

I was just wondering when it was that people moved from that new-country mode to home mode. It occured to me today that, seven Christmases in, it feels far more natural to go for a post-lunch surf on Xmas day than it does to go for a post-lunch walk in the woods in wellies. Like many things in life I suspect it's one of those gradual changes that you only really notice when someone points it out to you.
Australia will never be home in the emotional sense. I'm more than happy living here now but if people ask me about going home I think of Manchester.... and I haven't lived there for close on 20 years !!
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Being one of the acknowledged disenfranchised, I guess I must be more Australian than I thought because I know that no self respecting Aussie would call it Oz.

Still waiting for that magical heartfelt "OMG this is HOME" moment after 30 years and 9 months (tomorrow). Probably not going to happen in this lifetime
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here all of 16 months now, and are trying to make a mental effort to call this home. It is slowly stopping feeling like a long holiday- OH still calls the UK home, but corrects himself.
You see we plan to stay here permanently, although you never know what the future might bring, and we intend to make this our home, so we are trying to call it that now. Christmas this year was better than last as we own our house now instead of being in a grotty rental, and we have made some friends, so we could have them over for drinks etc. Made up a little for not having the family here.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
We have been here all of 16 months now, and are trying to make a mental effort to call this home. It is slowly stopping feeling like a long holiday- OH still calls the UK home, but corrects himself.
You see we plan to stay here permanently, although you never know what the future might bring, and we intend to make this our home, so we are trying to call it that now. Christmas this year was better than last as we own our house now instead of being in a grotty rental, and we have made some friends, so we could have them over for drinks etc. Made up a little for not having the family here.
Good to hear you are enjoying yourself. Out of interest. why would you ever sign a lease on a "grotty rental"? I find it hard to believe that you could buy a better house than what you could rent in Sydney.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:21 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

This has been home since we arrived - someone else said, home is where the heart is, and home for me is where my other half and the kids are. Also, PITA BIL (who gave us until August 2008 before we returned back to the UK) asked us when we were seeing sense and returning home and was told 'we are home'

But on the level you say? I don't know. Its only been our second Christmas here and it has felt more like a 'proper' Christmas, mostly, I suspect, because Christmas Day itself was 'cold' and wet. It still feels weird to be in a shopping mall and be sweating me bits off and there be Christmas songs playing though

We still stop and think - omg we LIVE here! We used to do it as we drove over the bridge from the mainland to Bribie Island, and now we do it at a certain point as we drive into our village and have an amazing glimpse of mountainous woodland. I hope that doesn't wear off, as it would mean we were taking this beautiful place for granted. To be honest, I used to do it as we drove from my mother's back home to York, so perhaps its just me.

On most levels, this feels like Home now. There will always be oddities which will throw me, there will be things in the UK that I miss - but I moved around there a lot and there were regional things that I missed too.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Australia will never be home in the emotional sense. I'm more than happy living here now but if people ask me about going home I think of Manchester.... and I haven't lived there for close on 20 years.
Just to add... should I ever return to the UK it bloody well won't be to the East Manchester council estate I think of as 'home'.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 11:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I guess I must be more Australian than I thought because I know that no self respecting Aussie would call it Oz.
I guess the many Australians I know who use the phrase aren't self-respecting then. Actually, maybe that's why I like them.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 11:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It only took a few months for Australia to feel like home to me. We had some really great friends and neighbours in Adelaide who made me feel like it was home. It took well over 2 years for Perth to feel like home, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.