Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When do you stop child benefit from UK?

Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you stop child benefit from UK?

There's obviously been some sort of misunderstanding. No one has called anyone else racist, whether implied or otherwise.

Claiming CB when not living in the UK is fraud, pure and simple. Ignorance is no defence. If you are planning on leaving the UK inform them immediately. They are incompetent and in many cases will continue paying. Do not touch the money. If you have moved already but not told them, inform them immediately. The OP has done the latter.

There is no need for any name calling, nor any holier than thou attitudes or any 'stuff them, I'm claiming and not telling' attitudes. It's pointless and unnecessary.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I was not taking this too seriously and I know Grayling likes the odd joust now and then...
I guess our wee bit of fun is over Grayling...hope we didnt offend anyone!

HKA
x
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
I was not taking this too seriously and I know Grayling likes the odd joust now and then...

HKA
x
Indeed.

G
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:23 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: When do you stop child benefit from UK?

Originally Posted by talbot
When they discover that your 16th child doesn't exist...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

HKA
x
Its a shame that the way you worded it upset people to the extent that they cpmplained to the Mods. Maybe next time you can ensure people realise it's a joke?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

child benefit seemed to listen when i rang day after i booked our flights to leave the country BUT after 2 phonecalls (before we left UK) 1 letter from UK before leaving and 2 letters from Oz, 1 phonecall from Oz and 1 phone call from my mum in Uk on my behalf the WFTC is still going into my damned account! (cant close it as its where my child maintenance goes into) To TOP IT ALL last week i had a letter addressed to me at my Australian address asking for my renewal details!!! NOT a forwarded letter but from address on their files :curse::curse::curse: WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO THEM I DONT WANT THEIR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully, I am sure people with a better understanding and command of english will have picked up on the racist insinuation.

It was implied that I or the reader would view things differently purely because I (or rather the quote) had mentioned Polish people and not British/Australian....funny indeed. That implies that you or rather the other poster felt that I placed equal or indeed more weight to the significance of the people in question being Polish. That I think that is more racist.

Mind you with an average posting of over 8 post per day, every day for 3 years your bound to post some nonsense sometime!

Oh...I would, however, be interested in what or which Child Benefits a British National working in any other European country can claim whilst their children reside in the UK?

Jak sie masz?

HKA
x
Just to point out as you did ask, that if you are sent to work any in EEC countries from UK, you must take the child benefit from UK, & you cant claim from the country you are living in.
Now how do I know about that my daughter was born in Germany & I was told that I have to claim for her CB in UK & not in Germany, because we are not citizen of Germany.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:46 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hi as i was lead to believe once you are no longer residing in the UK you have to cancel UK CHB this is classed as being out of the country for a period of longer than 6 or 8 wks can't remember which but what really gets my goat is as i am not a permanent resident in Aus i an not entitled to CHB in Aus but neither am i entitled to claim from UK so i get no assistance at all as previous posters have said i paid my tax and contributions when working in the UK and since i have stopped working i am supported by my husband who pays his taxes here in Aus they are happy to take our money but don't want to help us out in return where do i stand i am in limbo as no longer considered a resident in the UK nor a resident of Aus.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

Talbot,

You made an honest mistake like I'm sure 100s of other people have before you and no doubt will do after you, dont worry, youve made good now. Thank you for putting this thread on here because I was wondering the same thing
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Occaisonally, the DWP do investigate people and they do take recovery action - I was a CAB advisor and had clients come in worried as they were being investigated. They have quite extensive powers to look at private bank accounts and tax records.

Not a risk I would take....
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I say if the british goverment are so think serves them right no wonder country in a mess.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that the UK Government are so thick?
How are they supposed to kow that someone has left the country!!!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Babydurbs
Hi,
Glad i read this thread as I had no idea that you could claim Child Benefit in Oz!!! Blonde moment i know.:embaressed_smile:We arrive in Sept 08 with two daughters. What do you have to do to claim it?? Or do you have to wait for a set period of time before your eligible for it. We have a P/R Visa.
Thanks
Lisa
There is NO CHB in Oz................it is family assistance, which is paid via Centrelink.
This is also means tested
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
child benefit seemed to listen when i rang day after i booked our flights to leave the country BUT after 2 phonecalls (before we left UK) 1 letter from UK before leaving and 2 letters from Oz, 1 phonecall from Oz and 1 phone call from my mum in Uk on my behalf the WFTC is still going into my damned account! (cant close it as its where my child maintenance goes into) To TOP IT ALL last week i had a letter addressed to me at my Australian address asking for my renewal details!!! NOT a forwarded letter but from address on their files :curse::curse::curse: WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO THEM I DONT WANT THEIR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
Ignore them. Do absolutely nothing. It's not worth your blood pressure. Don't touch the money but give up the corresponding bit. I'm over it. They can threaten me as much as they like. I gave them months of notice. Have written more letters than is good for the environment, have sent them copies of their confirmation that I've moved and they won't pay and I don't owe them anything but still we get letters asking for money back. We don't owe anything, we've confirmed that, they've confirmed that but still we get the bloody letters asking for money.

They are incompetent hon. Nothing more, nothing less. Right arm has no idea where the left arm is let alone what it's doing. Give it up, leave the money there and enjoy your life.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:03 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
i didnt have a problem with the child benefit - but i did with the tax credits. They actually sent me a letter to my OZ ADDRESS telling me what my ongoing payments where going to be. When i phoned they told me that my case had been looked at and it was a 'complicated case' and but the letter was correct and i was still going to get tax credit?
I pointed out that i am in oz and my children are in oz so how can i still be entitled to a payment? They still insisted that it was correct so i told them in no uncertain terms to STOP PAYING THE MONEY into my account!!! They actually seemed to listen this time and stopped paying me ... then they sent me a letter saying i owe them a payment back stupid people
Still i dont suppose they often get someone shouting at them down the phone 'cause they DONT want the money