Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When do you stop child benefit from UK?

When do you stop child benefit from UK?

Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default When do you stop child benefit from UK?

Did you stop it when you left, or giving yourselves time to decide if you like your new country?
How long is "deciding time" legal?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:19 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you stop child benefit from UK?

Originally Posted by talbot
Did you stop it when you left, or giving yourselves time to decide if you like your new country?

Stopped ours before we left the UK, also closed the account that the CB was paid into too.

C x
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Jojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really niceJojo11 is just really nice

As far as i know there is no "deciding time". Once you and the children are removed from the UK to Oz you are no longer entitled and would be fraud if you continued to receive the payment.
I have informed the CHB about my imminent departure from the UK. When i spoke to the helpful lady on the phone she told me that they would send me a letter confirming that i am no longer in receipt of Uk CHB, so when i get to Oz i can claim CHB on the Oz system and that they would ask me for this letter when applying.

Hope this helps,
Kind Regards

Jo x

counting the days now!!!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

wheep0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on what Visa you are on, if you are PR then correct you are not entitled to claim Uk child benefit but if you are on a 457 on a time length contract with a permanant residence property in the UK, you can claim it. I think...

If not Im sure someone will advise correctly.
P..........................
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:53 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jojo11
As far as i know there is no "deciding time". Once you and the children are removed from the UK to Oz you are no longer entitled and would be fraud if you continued to receive the payment.
I have informed the CHB about my imminent departure from the UK. When i spoke to the helpful lady on the phone she told me that they would send me a letter confirming that i am no longer in receipt of Uk CHB, so when i get to Oz i can claim CHB on the Oz system and that they would ask me for this letter when applying.

Hope this helps,
Kind Regards

Jo x

counting the days now!!!!
We were never ask for a letter here in Australia C x
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

We did not get asked for a letter either, in fact not a single question about the UK.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
We did not get asked for a letter either, in fact not a single question about the UK.
Neither did we, so now I'm scared they'll want all the money back?!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

wheep0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Au has a reciprocal agreement with Uk for most things including child benefit.
As long as you are not claiming UK child benefit and AU child benefit at the same time there will be no problem.
If you claiming in Uk and you are entiltled and should be doing it in Au no money will need to paid back however you will need to seek advise from AU chb dpt to clarify this and start using the AU system.
Of course if you are claiming in both and you get caught, then its immediate deportation back to blighty and lock up in the Tower of London....
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wheep0
As long as you are not claiming UK child benefit and AU child benefit at the same time there will be no problem.
If you claiming in Uk and you are entiltled and should be doing it in Au no money will need to paid back however you will need to seek advise from AU chb dpt to clarify this and start using the AU system.
Of course if you are claiming in both and you get caught, then its immediate deportation back to blighty and lock up in the Tower of London....
Thanx,
We never thought about telling the officials to stop CB because it was at the bottom of our requirements!!
I recently received a Bank statement and saw the payments and felt guilty!
Should I stop it before repayments??!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you aren't resident in the UK why should you get child benefit from there? It is supposed to stop the day you leave as you are no longer entitled to it once you are no longer a resident. SImple as that.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on what Visa you are on, if you are PR then correct you are not entitled to claim Uk child benefit but if you are on a 457 on a time length contract with a permanant residence property in the UK, you can claim it. I think...

If not Im sure someone will advise correctly.
P..........................
Whether you are PR or 457 is in reality unimportant. If you are in Oz you no longer reside in the UK and therefore are not eligible to claim it. I'm pretty sure a lot of people quite genuinely forget about it and don't cancel it for a while, but the government will be within their rights to take measures to get it back.

Yet another thing unfortunately to add to the 'to do' list before people leave the UK.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Apr 10th 2008 at 2:02 pm. Reason: Changed - can't spell
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Whether you are PR or 457 is in reality unimportant. If you are in Oz you no longer reside in the UK and therefore are not eligible to claim it. I'm pretty sure a lot of people quite genuinely forget about it and don't cancel it for a while, but the government will be within their rights to take measures to get it back.

Yet another thing unfortunately to add to the 'to do' list before people leave the UK.
Exactly. I shan't link to the thread itself where I found it, cos it got quite abusive, but THIS is the document people should be reading
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Neither did we, so now I'm scared they'll want all the money back?!
If they find out then yes they will want the lot back. It is fraud and you should have told them you were leaving.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You are very very wrong. No reciprocal agreement and the OP is committing fraud by continuing to claim.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

I was told that you could legally claim for 1 year after leaving but you cannot start claiming for a year after you return (If you return of course !)
Need to double check now !!

Alison xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.