Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When choosing where to live - more of the same?

When choosing where to live - more of the same?

Old May 18th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When choosing where to live - more of the same?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...but most of us don't have access to our own Harrier jump jet.
Arf, arf...
Old May 19th 2009, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

My sentiments exactly (I am an Aussie and my husband is British we live in the UK.....for now). I think people need familiarity and to relate to a place to settle........if they try to live in exactly the same type of place it may be harder.............now I will say my usual to anyone who takes offence to that and that is I am only giving my views.........the way I see things.........each to their own and all that stuff.

Your right about this going to be an interesting thread

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
That is a seriously good question. When I first arrived here, as a genuine migrant with my Aussie wife (whom I'd met here on holiday two years previous) We ended up at her Parents place in Bendigo, which after South London was a serious culture shock. I didn't like it one bit. We had a belated honeymoon travelling up the East Coast as far as Cooktown. The only place I would have considered along the way would have been Townsville or Brisbane. (we didnt travel through Sydney) I started to develop a strong dislike for smaller places.

To cut a long story short, the only place I felt comfortable was back in very Urban Inner Melbourne, which is where we settled. Very different to London but urban enough to make me feel like I'm in familar surroundings. Although I guess I'm not a migrant in the same sense as most, as I came here more for reasons to do with marriage rather than a compelling desire to move across the world. I've been here 30 years, I couldnt imagine living in any other part of Aus now, save for maybe Inner Sydney.

Footnote: One country area reminds me of the UK. and for that reason I would like to spend more time there, and thats Southern NSW. I doubt I could live for long in a country area in the UK, and Southern NSW is even further from most main cities than most country areas in the UK so I probably wouldnt cope living in a country area here, Still it's beautiful countryside.

Btw as for theme parks, I enjoyed them the first few times, now you wouldnt get me in one if you paid me.... who wants to spend a holiday in queues ?

Could be an interesting thread this one.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

I think probably getting a 'feel' for a place plays a part aswell. That said you can't do that if you move to a place you've never been!