Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's your happiest memory?

Wikiposts

What's your happiest memory?

Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:42 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's your happiest memory?

For those of us that are married and have kids lets automatically assume that weddings and babies being born feature in our happiest memories.

What is your most enduring happy memory besides marriage and child birth?

Mine is sitting on a beach in Thailand with my husband on our honeymoon. we went travelling round the world and Thailand was our first stop.
It was a warm night and there were little tables that you could sit cross legged in front of.
They had tea lights on them and OH and me got slowly pissed on the local Mekhong whiskey.
We were young and in love and on a magical island (Ko Phan Gnan)
I can't ever remember feeling so happy

What are your happy memories?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:52 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your happiest memory?

My happiest memory to date is on our second night in Thailand, we had gone to be measured for some suits.

After the guy had measured us up, he got us a couple of chilled cans of beer and we were just having a gossip.

With the frequent powercuts in Thailand, we happened to have one that night and we all sat outside holding candles and the shop owner got his family to sit with us.

It was great just sitting there with nothing but candles and cold beer talking about everything and anything. I never forgot that night.

Another time was in Thailand on the same holiday - we went to the show Phuket Fantasea(?) - I don't think there is anything that could have topped that night.

Oh yes, yesterday was pretty special as well as I won a place on my fav. radio show and got to meet some really nice people.

I am hoping that the best times will be when I go to Namibia but one thing I have learned, sometimes your happiest moments don't cost alot and are when you least expect them and certainly when you don't plan them.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

With apologies to the wife - The first time I went travelling alone after giving up a job I had come to hate (we were an item, but hadn't yet married and she didn't fancy travelling).

I was in Fiji in a place called the Beach House on the coral coast. I wet for a swim in the crystal clear blue sea and turned to look back. I could just see white sandy beach, tropical gardens and palm trees with hammocks slung between them. The sky was a vivid blue with just one or two white clouds scudding accross it.

I remember just laughing at my good fortune that I was here, experiencing this, whilst back home my ex bosses were slogging away in the rain under grey skies
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:07 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant

keep 'em coming Guys.
Lets have a real feel good thread
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to add a few more and are in no particular order:

1. Bottle feeding a tiger in Thailand

2. My Mums last birthday of her life, the whole family were together for the first time in about 20 years, she was so happy.

3. Going to South Stradbroke Island and meeting one of the guys who worked there. He organised his mate to fly us back to the mainland in his sea plane.

4. Getting detained by immigration in Bodrum, Turkey (long story) - bloody funny and made friends with the fat immigration guy Mohammed.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The look on my parents face as we arrived on their doorstep with the 2 little boys they hadnt seen for years.

The sheer relief after scans, biopsy, and blood tests on our youngest child that proved nothing was 'serious'.

The kids every day really, they have the wildest humour and rolling round laughing till your sides hurt is something to appreciate every day.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kapri
For those of us that are married and have kids lets automatically assume that weddings and babies being born feature in our happiest memories.

Mine is sitting on a beach in Thailand with my husband on our honeymoon. we went travelling round the world and Thailand was our first stop.
It was a warm night and there were little tables that you could sit cross legged in front of.
They had tea lights on them and OH and me got slowly pissed on the local Mekhong whiskey.

I have so many good memories I wouldn't know where to start. I think sailing around the Isle of Capri would have to be one that always sticks in my mind. So close I felt I could reach over and touch it. I can still close my eyes and look into the ocean and see the island going down and down until it faded into the darkness.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:50 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

being comforted by my father as a child sitting in his lap listening to his heartbeat

sailing across the solent in the teeth of a gale

motorbiking through high alpine passes

splashing in puddles with my children
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:57 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
being comforted by my father as a child sitting in his lap listening to his heartbeat

sailing across the solent in the teeth of a gale

motorbiking through high alpine passes

splashing in puddles with my children
Sitting in the drivers seat on my Dads knee clutching the steering wheel, pretending to drive our brown Rover 2000 on the beach.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of happy memories, too. When my father was released from the hospital after suffering a heart attack at age 50. My mother made me a nurses cap to wear and I got to bring him his pills in a little paper cup. I was 5 at the time. I can still remember bringing his ECG tracings to school for show and tell time. Another time my father let me put curlers in his hair (which is pretty sparse) and he wore them all day, even going to the grocery store with a cap on, because it made me smile.
As an adult, one of my happiest memories is seeing the surprise and joy on my parents' faces when we had their 50th anniversary party. We organised for all their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to come from all around the world and it was a complete surprise.
Another is the 5 days I spent in Bahamas with my husband for my 40th birthday. We spent the time just enjoying ourselves. Walking along the beach, snorkelling, laying in a hammok drinking rum drinks. It was 5 days of sheer bliss.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

1. Finding out I was pregnant, when I was told I was barren

2. Finding out I was having Twins

3. My children making me laugh and telling me they love me

4. Taking 'Best Puppy in Show' at a big Dog show with my Bitch at her first ever show

5. Getting on a plane for the first time (to Aus)

6. Teaching my son in Australia for a year

.........and a few more
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Childhood - Walking up the lane aged about 6 to meet grandad on his pushbike on his way home from work and getting a "seatie". Also him taking me for walks across the fields.

Elation - Passing my driving test first time when the instructor told me I had little chance. I was shaking!

Contented - Walking home from my now missus' flat at 6am in the first few months we were together unwashed, hadn't eaten or slept to go and get ready for work. Or looking out of the office window now over the Swan River / Narrows Bridge and thinking "I live here"

Biggest grin - Le legover premiere'

Guffawing - My daughter is constantly making me laugh with some of the things she comes out with. Or anything to do with animals on Funniest Home Videos
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:40 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

So many good things.
1- Doing a tandem parachute jump near Mount Maunganui in NZ
2- My honeymoon in Thailand - At the wedding we had 260 people. From all over the world. When we went to Koh Samet with about 25 of us. We had many good nights and days. The wife , me and a bunch of mates.
3- Teaching kids in Bangkok and being on stage dancing and singing with the kids to Obla Dee Obla Da.
4- Meeting the wife also on Koh Samet
5- Seeing how happy the wife is living in Oz.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Being behind the goal amongst 8,000 pissed up Englishmen in Munich when this happened ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1515667.stm