Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's reasonable... ?

What's reasonable... ?

Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:34 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's reasonable... ?

I gave up work at Christmas to get things ready for our move and since both my children are at school I do most things around the house. OH does the bins once a week and usually cuts the grass although I quite like doing it. I even did a bit of painting etc since I had the time.

I don't really get thanks but then I don't often say thanks to my OH for working everyday to keep me in the style I've become accustomed to!

When I was working more things were shared but my OH works in London so is out 7-7 so he doesn't get much time. To be honest amongst my friends very few OH's that work do an awful lot unless "nagged" and they are all English.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:41 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I do my share around the house, I look after my Wendy... Now if the mods could close the thread before Wendy gets home that would be great....

ZX.......
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I do agree with Gedge though - if you're a bloke doing the house-cleaning, it's never good enough. My missus says there's boy-clean and girl-clean, blokes are happy to zip around with the hoover doing the obvious areas but girls get 'anal' about it and obsess over every hidden nock and crannie.
Disagree! Blokey's threshold is always reached DAYS before mine. He does a lot more housework than me! I do more cooking than him, but even then that's not all that much cos we eat out a lot, and also we have our main meal in the middle of the day rather than the evening.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:08 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Those of you who look after kids during the day, how much do you expect your working partner to do in the house?

Do they do nothing at all, a few bits here and there, or more?

Would you expect them to leave it to you on the weekend or would you expect help then?

What's reasonable?
Hmm ok well I'm a housewife, it's my job. Dale does the breadwinning I keep house.

So..my jobs are all the cleaning, washing ironing etc..I do most the cooking although he will cook for himself quite happily. I take the monkey to school and to any of his activiites. I get the shopping and any other jobs he asks me to do.

I don't do mens jobs..yes that sounds sexist but if you think I'm going outside to fix a fence then there's no way jose, and Dale wouldn't want me to either.

I'm a lucky girl, I'm a lazy sod, crap at housework too and I hate it lol. I need to do a lot more as our house is often untidy, I'm trying to nip that in the bud by spending less time on here

It is rare that Dale will say the house looks nice or the dinner was nice. I'm not complaining about that..if I cook him something unhealthy and fattening he will say it's a nice dinner Also, I never say to him, thanks for going to work every day so that I can stay at home.

He's a grafter, works a lot harder than I do and comes home and carries on doing up the house.

Although, I must add, when the monkey was a baby Dale used to go to work, come home and cook dinner and tidy up because I just spent all day looking after the baby. Now he's at school I have no excuse

Jeeze I can ramble on about nothing can't I
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies

Jeeze I can ramble on about nothing can't I
yep
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Disagree! Blokey's threshold is always reached DAYS before mine. He does a lot more housework than me! I do more cooking than him, but even then that's not all that much cos we eat out a lot, and also we have our main meal in the middle of the day rather than the evening.
You're both freaks!!! (You sure he's not a border-line gayer)
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:17 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Those of you who look after kids during the day, how much do you expect your working partner to do in the house?

Would you expect them to leave it to you on the weekend or would you expect help then?

What's reasonable?
I think sometimes it is easier working than being a full time stay at home Mum. Because i work shifts My OH has to do his fair share around the house too. The majority of stay at home Mum's i know have to do everything !!!

Also he loves DIY and he's bloody good at it too.....How good is that
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:25 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

I'm tired reading all this.

So, are any of your roles based on 'gender beliefs' (I'm a bloke so I do bloke things.... ) or is it 'It needs doing and I'm there so I'll do it' sort of format?

def not a gender beliefs bias at our place - OH is a better cook than I, so I let him do it all! As for cleaning, he does a pretty good job - the only problem is he takes about three times as long as i do, and he can never prioritise what needs doing the most/first
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Up until 2 yrs ago, I was at home full time, ste worked full time: I did all the house stuff mon-fri and he worked mon-fri...weekends we shared the load...weekend should be a break for both parties.

Now, ste still works full time, I have full time uni and work one day a week. I cook, clean, do laundry, ironing, make lunches, organise kids and after school activities etc Ste mows lawns/whippersnips, takes care of the pool and he's a tidy-er and will put a load of washing on/stack the dishwasher etc. We share most stuff in abalnced way but he will not cook, apart from turning meat on a bbq.

It all balances out and he always says "thanks babe that was lovely" for his dinner every evening without fail(even when the dinner wasn't 'all that'!!!)
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:49 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

I stay home with the kids and the household mostly falls to me.
1) i do shopping (if oh did it we would live off of crap all week)
2) i do the washing (if oh did it we would either look like hippies wearing tyedye or have to shrink ourselves to the size of barbie)
3)i do the cleaning (oh really shouldn't have to do it when he comes home from work)
4)i do the cooking (see no 1 )
5) i get kids off to school and do lunches etc ( he has left for work by then)
6) i make all appointments (they would never be made otherwise)
7) i do the ironing (would feel guilty if he did it )

oh does all gardening and outside work. i decorate, he hates it.
we do the general tidying up together at the end of the day when monsters are in bed, no point doing it before they just mess it up again.

the kids do bugger all except undo everything i have already done and i WILL kill them one day :curse:

p.s hubby always says thanks for EVERYTHING
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:51 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

What's reasonable?
i am not proud to say this,i dont do anything in the house..

i go to work ,i am a priceworker,i get paid for as many bricks as i can lay in a day..so i work like a madman..

so when i come in i dont lift a finger..

i have just asked my wife ,if i should do more in the house,her answer was that she would like a break from the kids on a weekend ..

so i will try to help this weekend,

i am a great believer in if you are not happy in life you sort it out..
if i am not happy with my relationship i get my wife away from the kids and we have a chat and sort it out..
when we have had really bad times i gave her a peace of paper and asked her to write a list of all the things she was not happy about,i also wrote my list..
and we try and get things sorted..

if your not happy ,you must do what ever it takes to make you happy..
what is difficult about that?you just get it sorted ...

if i am not happy it upsets the whole of the house,same for my wife..

life if far to short for unhappiness,i am forty now and i would say if i am lucky i will have another 40 years.i guarantee you the next how ever many years will be happy ones..
why would anyone want to live an unhappy life..its no good looking at the lid and thinking i should of done this and that..
there is no life after this one...so bloody enjoy it folks...

ast
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:53 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Your average aussie bloke is (to put it politely) unreconstructed. Went to a kids birthday party a month ago and all the women sat at one table and all the blokes gathered round the barbie sucking beers and talking about sport. I took over some grub to my missus and all the women went 'ooooooh, isn't he gooooood'. Cracked me up. I shall subvert from within...
My OH is an Aussie and he's really good about doing housework etc. We don't have kids so both work F-T, and we divide things up 50-50 ish. There is some gender type dividing eg he does any DIY, puts out the bins etc, I remember people's birthdays, buy and send cards/pressies, keep us organised. But other things are divided on who likes what eg I HATE hoovering so he always does all that (and a very thorough job he does too), whereas he hates cleaning the bathroom which I don't mind at all, so I'm in charge of that. We share cooking 50-50 (and always thank the one who made it). He almost always washes up. And he dusts. I clean the kitchen and put the washing on. We share the ironing. It seems to work pretty well and just gets done (no nagging involved).

I guess this might change if we have kids and I stay at home or work P-T, but I like to think we do a pretty good job of sharing and he certainly doesn't just expect things to do done, and always thanks me when I've done things (and vise versa). I don't want to end up like my Mum and Dad where Mum used to stay at home when we were kids so she did all the housework, and now that they both work F-T (when we grew up she went back to work), she somehow still does all of it, I guess they're both still in that habit. But seems unfair.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
My OH is an Aussie and he's really good about doing housework etc. We don't have kids so both work F-T, and we divide things up 50-50 ish. There is some gender type dividing eg he does any DIY, puts out the bins etc, I remember people's birthdays, buy and send cards/pressies, keep us organised. But other things are divided on who likes what eg I HATE hoovering so he always does all that (and a very thorough job he does too), whereas he hates cleaning the bathroom which I don't mind at all, so I'm in charge of that. We share cooking 50-50 (and always thank the one who made it). He almost always washes up. And he dusts. I clean the kitchen and put the washing on. We share the ironing. It seems to work pretty well and just gets done (no nagging involved).

I guess this might change if we have kids and I stay at home or work P-T, but I like to think we do a pretty good job of sharing and he certainly doesn't just expect things to do done, and always thanks me when I've done things (and vise versa). I don't want to end up like my Mum and Dad where Mum used to stay at home when we were kids so she did all the housework, and now that they both work F-T (when we grew up she went back to work), she somehow still does all of it, I guess they're both still in that habit. But seems unfair.
Yea, they're not all bad. My elder sister's married to a sports-mad aussie and he does more house-work than her.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:03 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we dont have kids but in our flat, husband does all the cooking and I do the housework.

He doesnt like going shopping with me, as he likes to spend hours over food shopping.

Lets just say he comes home to a very clean flat

Also, he has quite a bit of admin work to do from home - which I do - emailing, letters etc.

Its give and take.

If he is on holiday, he does the housework as he gets bored. Although I have to say I am better at housework than he is.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:06 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is really interesting. Thanks for all the replies.

I'm hiring a cleaner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.