Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's happening to Perth??

What's happening to Perth??

Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's happening to Perth??

Originally Posted by paulry
I know loads of women and men who work and successfully participate in raising well-balanced kids.
And I know loads who don't!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Not until they are 18 years old they don't. You see this on BE all the time. Oh my kids don't want to move to Australia with us. What are we to do?

Who is controlling who here? Parents nowadays are more interested in being friends with their kids instead of parents.
My younger son teasingly tries that on us often (the little monkey) but we tell him that since he's under 18 he'll do what we say. Having said that, I was 16 when my parents emigrated to South Africa and I was given the choice. I can remember to this day the relief on their faces when I responded "when do we fly?"

Overall, I have more of a big brother kind of relationship with my sons. I prefer that because they tell me where they're at with things as well as any problems they are having and I'm better able to help them. Apparently, from a poll that my older son participated in a few years back with his classmates, I came out as one of the least grumpy dads
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:39 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

My younger son teasingly tries that on us often (the little monkey) but we tell him that since he's under 18 he'll do what we say. Having said that, I was 16 when my parents emigrated to South Africa and I was given the choice. I can remember to this day the relief on their faces when I responded "when do we fly?"

Overall, I have more of a big brother kind of relationship with my sons. I prefer that because they tell me where they're at with things as well as any problems they are having and I'm better able to help them. Apparently, from a poll that my older son participated in a few years back with his classmates, I came out as one of the least grumpy dads
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:40 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
And I know loads who don't!
So working mums and dads have little to do with the equation
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:43 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it would be you

Yes definately women are best during the first couple of years but it's nothing that a simple milking machine can't replace.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:43 pm

It can't be done I tell ya! Men are not designed to raise kids, that's a womans job. If men were meant to look afte kids we'd all have a pair of tits!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:44 pm

That means they are fat. It doesn't mean they can lactate.
yip = they're called moobs
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Don't talk bollocks... When I'm there my kids do what I say... and very few ifs and buts get tolerated.. but I'm not there 100% of the time... and I'm not daft, or gullable, enough to think that my teenage sons behave like angels all the time.
you big scary man you
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:50 pm
Banned

The difference is in Australia kids have absolutely nothing to do.... Unless the parents want to drive them somewhere to do something. A massive difference to being a kid in Manchester as friends usually live a car ride away.
That's a future potential challenge that is becoming apparent from the recent visit by my Oz resident sister-in-laws. They were constantantly reminding us how convenient everything is to us here and how we could get away without having a car if we wanted to. It's something which until now my wife and I had taken for granted. ...It was a bit of an eye opener actually.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a future potential challenge that is becoming apparent from the recent visit by my Oz resident sister-in-laws. They were constantantly reminding us how convenient everything is to us here and how we could get away without having a car if we wanted to. It's something which until now my wife and I had taken for granted. ...It was a bit of an eye opener actually.
Exactly. Wait until you are over here and your kids want to visit their friends. DAD... can you give me a lift to so and so's place 10km down the road...

And then they'll probably go and find the local shopping centre to hang out in because there isn't much else to do.

Everybody says there is loads to do in Australia. Well, there is but you have to drive to get there and the last I checked, you had to be 18 years old to get a driving licence over here. By all accounts, I have heard they are thinking of increasing the age.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:11 pm
Banned

Exactly. Wait until you are over here and your kids want to visit their friends. DAD... can you give me a lift to so and so's place 10km down the road...

And then they'll probably go and find the local shopping centre to hang out in because there isn't much else to do.

Everybody says there is loads to do in Australia. Well, there is but you have to drive to get there and the last I checked, you had to be 18 years old to get a driving licence over here. By all accounts, I have heard they are thinking of increasing the age.
My kids will be gutted to learn that. We thought it was 16 for a learners licence and 17 to pass the test.

Will have to select the area that we live in and it's local amenities very carefully.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

My kids will be gutted to learn that. We thought it was 16 for a learners licence and 17 to pass the test.

Will have to select the area that we live in and it's local amenities very carefully.
You can get your learners at 16. Can't do your test till 18 though. There has been talks of upping it to 21 due to the amount of car accidents in the 18 - 21 age group.

They're also talking about upping the age limit for alcohol to 21 as well.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

You can get your learners at 16. Can't do your test till 18 though. There has been talks of upping it to 21 due to the amount of car accidents in the 18 - 21 age group.

Well that is all state specific, you can go for your Ps in NSW at 17.

As for 'upping' age requirements for driving and drinking that is all state specific as the Federal Govt has no constitutional authority in such matters.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:49 pm
Banned

They might not be bad ideas. Not sure if it will stop underage drinking though.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Well that is all state specific, you can go for your Ps in NSW at 17.

As for 'upping' age requirements for driving and drinking that is all state specific as the Federal Govt has no constitutional authority in such matters.
Obviously it's state specific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.