What's happening to Perth??

What's happening to Perth??

Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's happening to Perth??

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I have 4 of them
...and I'm sure they are all great and all a credit too your parenting skills.

...and if one of the four had happened to be less than perfect that would be your fault as well?

I think we kid ourselves just how much impact we have on our children as they become adults. We can only point and prod them so much in what we believe is the general direction of being good citizens, but they are people, something we seem to forget at times, and they make their own decisions.

We are far too quick to pat ourselves on the back and say "my kids are great" and the "other guy" must be a lousy parent because their kids aren't.

If you really do have four teenage kids then I think you can be 100% certain that their are plenty of things that they have done without your knowledge that you would be less than proud of if you found out... and that would have other people saying "I blame their parents"
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The older generation have always looked at the younger generation and laughed.

The invention of the teenager in the 50s would have been interesting for people of a certain age. The way people in their 20s and 30s stay at home, marry late, and have children at 40 is fairly new - and very common.

Even 30 years ago, University was something that the academic elite went to, and only then if it was felt it would benefit them. Now 'Uni' is nothing but a finishing school for many. Many get schooled to pass exams, and new grades have been invented to accomodate the best. In some ways they are smarter than we were at school, and are more independant, in other ways they are not..a certain old-school savvy...

The one thing that teens have now which we didn't have, even in the 80s, was ready access to the internet and therefore access to knowledge. I remember being advised by my parents that reading around the subject was a good route to academic success but that was hard when 10 of the books on the reading list were not readily obtainable. Students who are at a loss to understand something will find a proof or explanation somewhere they will get.

Having said that, look at the current free Melbourne Mx - a light news daily: Generation Y gets a lot of criticism. They see their right as going to 'Uni', getting a good job, working, and then alternating this between travel. They are proud of the fact noone owns them nor do they owe - but sometimes this is at the cost of political naivete. And they are supposedly the losers of the current downturn.

As for parenting, overall, I think it averages out, but you can detect the kids of good, that is, supportive (etc), parents quite easily. I've said before - it's a game any teacher will play - and often guess right. I don't necessarily blame parents, society, and the way we live has a lot to answer for. The kids you see out in the suburbs of Melbourne are completely different to the kids I know who live in the Inner Suburbs or the ones we know who live around here - it is very noticeable. I think all kids have their moments and wobbles.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 12:41 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and I'm sure they are all great and all a credit too your parenting skills.

...and if one of the four had happened to be less than perfect that would be your fault as well?

I think we kid ourselves just how much impact we have on our children as they become adults. We can only point and prod them so much in what we believe is the general direction of being good citizens, but they are people, something we seem to forget at times, and they make their own decisions.

We are far too quick to pat ourselves on the back and say "my kids are great" and the "other guy" must be a lousy parent because their kids aren't.

If you really do have four teenage kids then I think you can be 100% certain that their are plenty of things that they have done without your knowledge that you would be less than proud of if you found out... and that would have other people saying "I blame their parents"

IF I do? Why make that up.

We have a pretty open and honest relationship and talk. All the kids know what is right and wrong, and if they step over the line, then they know the consequences.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
Education starts at home. Blame the parents for lack of discipline. Dont lay the blame on the system because their is no discipline in the home. As soon as a teacher dare raise a voice or hand against a pupil then there is court case.

Barney
So your kids are perfect then? Or are you just a perfect parent?
Originally Posted by dodge26
Excellant quote..Blame the parents as thats where it stems from. All this there is nothing for them to do rubbish doesn't wash anymore. What did us old uns have to do back in the day? Not much but we were brought up correctly where you made the most of what you had and respect for your elders was par of the course....
Another perfect parent of perfect children.
Originally Posted by livinginreality
Women have lost sight of whats more important.Their jobs take peferance over the kids and thats a shame!I only worked a small part time job when my kids were small/growing up and I am glad I was there for them.Kids need nurturing not bloody play stations!!!!!
And some of us womenfolk have minds of our own and maybe would like to exercise our choice to use it on something useful to society besides raising children. Goody for you that you got to only work a small part time job when your children were young. I on the other hand chose to put food on the table for mine with full time work.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dodge26
Excellant quote..Blame the parents as thats where it stems from. All this there is nothing for them to do rubbish doesn't wash anymore. What did us old uns have to do back in the day? Not much but we were brought up correctly where you made the most of what you had and respect for your elders was par of the course....
The difference is in Australia kids have absolutely nothing to do.... Unless the parents want to drive them somewhere to do something. A massive difference to being a kid in Manchester as friends usually live a car ride away.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
I blame a gradual rot spanning more than one generation. Each generation of parents appears to have become more tolerant than the last. Over-indulging our kids breeds a "me me me" attitude and a lack of consideration/respect for others - especially elders. Community and family involvement in regard to taking steps to maintain discipline and voice disapproval of poor behaviour at the time that it occurs has collapsed. PC-ness also has a lot to answer for. We have become too much of a "oh that's alright" society. Punishments often don't fit the crime. ...Lack of accountability. /rant over <grrr!>
I blame the PC wankers that have had laws created to prevent parents from disciplining their kids.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
I know loads of women and men who work and successfully participate in raising well-balanced kids.
It can't be done I tell ya! Men are not designed to raise kids, that's a womans job. If men were meant to look afte kids we'd all have a pair of tits!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Not until they are 18 years old they don't. You see this on BE all the time. Oh my kids don't want to move to Australia with us. What are we to do?

Who is controlling who here? Parents nowadays are more interested in being friends with their kids instead of parents.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

IF I do? Why make that up.

We have a pretty open and honest relationship and talk. All the kids know what is right and wrong, and if they step over the line, then they know the consequences.
This is the internet... believe about 1% of what you read and you won't go far wrong.

All kids know what is right and wrong... its doesn't stop them stepping over the line, it just makes them careful about being caught.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:41 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
It can't be done I tell ya! Men are not designed to raise kids, that's a womans job. If men were meant to look afte kids we'd all have a pair of tits!

Lots of men out there have man boobs!!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:43 pm

This is the internet... believe about 1% of what you read and you won't go far wrong.

All kids know what is right and wrong... its doesn't stop them stepping over the line, it just makes them careful about being caught.
Well this is 1%
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Not until they are 18 years old they don't. You see this on BE all the time. Oh my kids don't want to move to Australia with us. What are we to do?

Who is controlling who here? Parents nowadays are more interested in being friends with their kids instead of parents.
Don't talk bollocks... When I'm there my kids do what I say... and very few ifs and buts get tolerated.. but I'm not there 100% of the time... and I'm not daft, or gullable, enough to think that my teenage sons behave like angels all the time.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Lots of men out there have man boobs!!
That means they are fat. It doesn't mean they can lactate.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Don't talk bollocks... When I'm there my kids do what I say... and very few ifs and buts get tolerated.. but I'm not there 100% of the time... and I'm not daft, or gullable, enough to think that my teenage sons behave like angels all the time.
I'm not talking bollcks. You may do that but there are many more that don't.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:10 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it would be you

Yes definately women are best during the first couple of years but it's nothing that a simple milking machine can't replace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.