Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what's the best baby gift you received?

Wikiposts

what's the best baby gift you received?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:41 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice
Default Re: what's the best baby gift you received?

Thank you everyone I am off buying this morning AU time with a lovely list...will let you know how I got on later
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Quite sad but I don't actually remember getting any gifts other than baby clothes and toys Baby showers didn't exist and no one bought expensive gifts.

Go for stuff for mum, she'll be over laden with baby stuff. Spa treatment voucher for after the birth, stuff like that.
Agree ....I am about to have a baby shower and that would be so nice.....

On the toiletries etc for babes, go for organic or natural as it's more 'in' to use these products than talc and scented stuff....even the wipes can be with no alcohol and unscented (check out coles).....
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

I had an emergency section with my son. We got lots of lovely gifts but the best things were IOUs from family and friends that were them coming round for an afternoon and would bring lunch but would also stay and do an hour of ironing or would clean the bathroom or put the laundry on.

Stuff that just doesn't get done when you have a new born.

Some friends also brought round meals they cooked for the freezer. Brilliant.

TBH, I preferred these things to toilettries that I've never use or a bottle of spirits that I wouldn't drink due to breastfeeding.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:00 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

A magazine subscription to a good parenting magazine that gets delivered. Nappies in the next size up from newborn.....as they grow so quickly, some kind of pampering item for Mum and an IOU babysitting voucher with a gift card for a meal for two at a local favourite resturant.

Jan
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Something for the dad..... bottle of favourite drink etc.

Deliver them delicious homecooked meals occasionally over the first 3 weeks. Just arrive, hand over the food and leave.

Bring a pack of nappies to their home every now and then over the next 6 months.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoola
I have the difficult task of buying gifts (from a group of ladies) for an aquaintence to celebrate her baby shower.

I was thinking of putting together a basket of useful items that you just cannot live without when you've a new born...just that it's been many years since I was in this position & things will have changed

So can you tell me what are some of the things I should include??

Creative or comical ....all suggestions gratefully received
If she's an aquaintance rather than a good friend I wouldn't go down the babysitting, home cooked dinner route. I wouldn't leave my newborn with someone unless they were a very good friend or family member.

Also, as nice a thought of giving someone home cooked meals, if you don't know her very well you might not know her taste.

You can't go wrong with few outfits, couple of newborn toys (things to hang on their capsule or bassinet, those scrunchy little books, things like that. Big W normally does them in little packs) Nappies (they always get used!!) but like the pp said get a bigger size up they do grow so quickly .

Presents for the mum are nice too. After my 1st my friend gave me a bottle of champagne, some pate as I craved it all the way through pregnancy and couldn't have it!! And a gift voucher for a clothes shop.

It's the thought that counts and I'm sure she'll be thrilled with anything she gets
Old Mar 14th 2010, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It wasn't a gift, in fact we bought ours at a car boot sale (we were poor in those days). A clockwork baby swing similar to this:

http://gubibaby.files.wordpress.com/...g-n-bounce.jpg

(I believe that they are mostly battery operated these days)

A sanity saver expecially when the baby is very fretful and there's no-one available to give you a few minutes break. It sends the baby off to sleep in less than a minute .

That reminded me of a tiny baby brought into the medical centre, it wasnt breathing newbie parents, had stuck it in one of those chairs after a full feed Switched it on and left the baby to vomit and basically milk in lungs it stopped breathing. It was revived thankfully, after causing full medical emergency including amublance, I always look at those chairs a different way now

Babies are dangerous things I would stick to a babygrow LOL.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 2:45 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
That reminded me of a tiny baby brought into the medical centre, it wasnt breathing newbie parents, had stuck it in one of those chairs after a full feed Switched it on and left the baby to vomit and basically milk in lungs it stopped breathing. It was revived thankfully, after causing full medical emergency including amublance, I always look at those chairs a different way now

Babies are dangerous things I would stick to a babygrow LOL.
Thank God the parents intervened in time. I'm not sure that the swing is to be blamed though. A similar situation can just as easily occur by simply placing a baby in their cot to sleep after a feed. Scary things, babies.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:10 pm
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Thank you so much for all suggestions I have been out shopping now & came home with the following (bearing in mind this amount is from a group of ladies not just me with an open purse)

Baby bag, with change mat
Digital thermometer (under arm) plus addional dummy thermometer from 0+
Nail sissors/clippers
Hooded towel
Pack of flannels
Breast pads
Wipes
Nappy paste
Shampoo & bath oils (all natural/organic..thx for the tip)
Mums pack ( nipple cream, stretch mark oil etc)
Silent Babies CD (how to settle baby book & music CD)
First toothbrush (green brush, orange handle shaped like a carrot...how cute is that)
Plastic book for the bath
Teething toy
Set of mixed colour socks
Mirriam Stoppards book on babies
Medicine set, dropper, measurer & stopper

Thanks to everyone for their imput....expats are so great at helping each other out