Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Wikiposts

what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Re: what worth buying in UK before emigrating??

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Never even thought of that, the 4 way adapters, brilliant idea...really useful thread!
Hey Jen

A change of picture very nice

Back to the thread.

Bed clothes. They cost a fortune here and towels. Also duvet's they are like tissues here. Need them come winter. And if you are into computers buy before you come i seen the dell hybird for 197 euro and it is $1000 here

Pretty much anything you can think of except suncream thats cheap here.

Paddy
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:53 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey Jen

Back to the thread.

Bed clothes. They cost a fortune here and towels. Also duvet's they are like tissues here. Need them come winter. And if you are into computers buy before you come i seen the dell hybird for 197 euro and it is $1000 here

Paddy
Changed me pic agesssss ago....

So how are you settling in? Everything going ok?
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi all

speaking computers i want to get an apple imac they are about £1400.00 over here and may be able to get a bit cheaper if i hunt around . does anybody know comparison websites i can look at to see if prices are similiar / or does anyone have prices for them so i can look into purchasing before i go or just wait and get one over there .

cheers steve
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:12 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sybilipicus
Hi All

I have my visa now and emigrating at christmas-our attention has obviously now turned to what to take with us owing to the fact that with the large sales on here etc it might actually be worth buying some things before we go??

We know what furniture etc we're taking but I'm talking more about the smaller day to day items (make up, clothes, shoes, toaster machines, bakeware etc)

Any thoughts appreciated :0)

Thanks
Given the current exchange rates, everything. There is very little that isn't cheaper in the UK at the moment than Australia.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

If you have kids, stock up on swimming costumes from ASDA- the 2.50 ones, get 2 of each size, none cheaper than $15-20 here.
Clothing- I disagree- UK clothes always too short for my arms/ legs, Australian clothes fit me properly for the first time!
Dyson- definitely.
HDMI cables for the TV.
Hand-held stick blender thing from LIDL for a tenner- better than the $100 ones here.
Books- but keep buying them from bookdepository.co.uk with free delivery and save $$$ (or amazon if you have vouchers like me).
Vitamins- absolutely- will be stocking up at Tesco next time we visit.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SamSi
Definitely agree with the vitamins, they are pretty dear here. I would also say:

Men - business shirts and suits and if you're into a particular brand, Diesel for example - stock up on jeans. Aftershave is also more expensive.
Women - make up. All the same brands are here, and I find the luxury brands to be much the same price but strangely the cheaper range stuff is quite expensive - Revlon, L'oreal etc. Definitely worth spending all your Boots points before you come! Also - if you're quite short it's worth stocking up on jeans in your leg length (e.g. Topshop) cos they don't sell them like that here. Bra's are also more expensive.
Yes bra's! the average Aussie bra is more like a couple of ice cream cones - you really would not want to get near any candles with all that padding in there.

Shoes Shoes Shoes and loads more Shoes
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:09 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
hi all

speaking computers i want to get an apple imac they are about £1400.00 over here and may be able to get a bit cheaper if i hunt around . does anybody know comparison websites i can look at to see if prices are similiar / or does anyone have prices for them so i can look into purchasing before i go or just wait and get one over there .

cheers steve
For Macs I think you'll find that the prices are pretty standard everywhere. You may win a few bucks on the daily exchange rate, but no so much as you be worried about it. You may in fact lose out in the UK since the VAT is 17.5% and GST is 10% here. You could try to pick one up in duty free. Whether you declare it or not is up to you...

Check out the apple shop at store.apple.com/au the price is the same at all the resellers for current models. You might find the occasional old stock or display item cheaper somewhere, but you need to be lucky.

Last edited by Burbage; Aug 23rd 2009 at 7:11 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

just to add if youre already here, get on ebay UK for clothes and get a load sent to a relative in uk who can bag up and send. You can find your fave brands, leg lengths etc in the filters.
Then sell em on ebay AU
Les
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 11:53 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

What about toys/games for toddlers , U.K or Oz?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:03 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
What about toys/games for toddlers , U.K or Oz?
UK in fact that goes for nearly everything
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey Jen

Back to the thread.

Paddy
Hi, I'm a mad curry fan. I just brought a load of youngs curry sauce mix (most butcher shops stock it) over with me. I find the curry here is crap, nothing like the good curry were used to!!

Kim n Ken
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road

SHOES!!!!!!!!!!

all those lovely flipflops from Accessorize buy them now!!

~Shoes are expensive here so stock up!!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

Same as other posts really, but what I miss the most is the clothing, it's extremely poor quality here and not much of a range either ( I am still wearing almost all of the clothes I bought with me 2 years ago, and my other personal thing is my books, I got rid of all of mine before I came over, now I wished I had sent some of them over, as I read a lot it was a shock to find that all books are double the price here, I'd be able to pick up a paperback between 6 and 10 pound, here they are $25 and more
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Agree with clothing & shoes.... generally quite a bit more expensive here, not good quality, not as wide a range.

Would also add bed linen, kitchenware, electronic goods & gadgets. Books & dvd's are frightfully expensive here, but can be got around by ordering via Amazon or Book Depository (for books).

Other general household items also tend to be fairly expensive here, can't remember now which things I thought in particular, but random items tend to cost more here. If you have a containter you're bringing, then fill it with the things you need, and double up if you can afford to on the things listed.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Might not be identical, but same model number so obviously pretty close.

http://www.binglee.com.au/Electric+R...subcategory=07

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...YKEL-OB60BCEX1

Give you some idea of the differences in price between UK and Oz on electrical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.