Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What Will You Do If the House Doesnt Sell

What Will You Do If the House Doesnt Sell

Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default What Will You Do If the House Doesnt Sell

Hi all
Maybe posted before and a bit of a misery subject but am just interested to see what people will do if they cant sell teir house here to fund move to oz and clear any debts etc.

We have spent the last two years doing our house up, extension etc (started before app and visa) and require a sale to clear the way. Now having put it on the market in the middle of August and not even one person through the door. The market would appear to be crumbling if the media is anything to go by.

So all you lovely peeps in my boat ( well I was gonna buy a boat) what will you do.

Cheers

Mick

PS Come on the england rugby boys!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:02 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Will You Do If the House Doesnt Sell

Mate, just keep fingers and toes crossed, and opt for the motto SHIT OR BUST !

We hadnt got a buyer, when our visa was granted, and we said fuggit, lets book the tickets, and I am sure itll be right...

As sods law goes, a buyer came along 2 mins before we were due to leave, 2 americans, a fat fella and his fat bitch of a wife.. they ran an alternate christian church..

Dodgiest weffin bleeders i ever met... strung us along for 6 months, turned out neither were legal in uk !!!

We in all this time were in OZ.

So we foned debs mum, said do what ya gotta do, and sell it...

She found a buyer in 2 weeks , for 80k under asking price, bless her..

By this time, I really didnt give a shit lol

So we took it.

So some fat ginger haired prick called Philip with one L is living in my ex, 350 grand house having got it for 270 grand...

Mate whatever you do, my advice, dont sell at a distance !!
Oh and the 2 fat yanks, took out a restraining order against me, something about , kneecapping being illegal !!! and thats a fact

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

We hadnt got a buyer, when our visa was granted, and we said fuggit, lets book the tickets, and I am sure itll be right...

As sods law goes, a buyer came along 2 mins before we were due to leave, 2 americans, a fat fella and his fat bitch of a wife.. they ran an alternate christian church..

Dodgiest weffin bleeders i ever met... strung us along for 6 months, turned out neither were legal in uk !!!

So we took it.

So some fat ginger haired prick called Philip with one L is living in my ex, 350 grand house having got it for 270 grand...

Oh and the 2 fat yanks, took out a restraining order against me, something about , kneecapping being illegal !!! and thats a fact

Steve

This cracked me up! Not the misfortune but the way the story was told.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We're staying here until the house has sold.

I thought about just leaving and selling it from Australia. But that would involve hiring an agency to maintain the house, e.g. mow the grass, clean inside now and again, have the windows cleaned - so that it looks attractive to any viewers.

Also, our estate agent reckons if you try and sell an empty house you knock £10k-£20k off the price straight away, because the viewers then can see every mark on the carpet, wall, little nicks in the woodwork.

So, although it is a total pain to still be here when we were supposed to be in Oz at the start of August ... we'll just have to hang in there.

Gina
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We haven't got to that stage yet so aren't too sure what we'll do. We are hoping we'll get lucky and be able to sell it quickly when the time comes but if not we'll be prepared to drop the price. We want to sell it before we go rather than try and do it from over there.

We have been thinking of putting it up for sale soon and them renting somewhere in case it takes to sell but we haven't made that decision yet. The thing for us is that our mortgage is less than 300 quid a month and it would be more than double that to rent a flat here. Also in the media it seems like house prices might start to fall so we're thinking is it a good time to sell now and try and get a bit more rather than waiting six months or so and getting a lot less.

Its so difficult to know what to do for the best really.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:16 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG
It's so difficult to know what to do for the best really.
I think at the moment, it's better to try and sell it a.s.a.p., even if you lose some money buy renting.

It isn't just a question of dropping the price; it's when you get an offer, accept it, and then just before exchange your buyer (or someone in the chain) pulls out. By then four months will have gone past and you have to start all over again. If you read on here, there are LOTS of people this has happened to (us included). It happened to one couple three times - sale went through with the fourth buyer.

Gina
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
I think at the moment, it's better to try and sell it a.s.a.p., even if you lose some money buy renting.

It isn't just a question of dropping the price; it's when you get an offer, accept it, and then just before exchange your buyer (or someone in the chain) pulls out. By then four months will have gone past and you have to start all over again. If you read on here, there are LOTS of people this has happened to (us included). It happened to one couple three times - sale went through with the fourth buyer.

Gina

It happened to us too.

Planned to sell and live in rented. Now the market has died and we're looking at reducing the price. Can't imagine selling long distance. We have looked into auction and it does seem to offer a good solution for a quick sale IF and ONLY IF you will accept a lower sale price.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:27 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG

Its so difficult to know what to do for the best really.
Aint that a fact

by Gina

I think at the moment, it's better to try and sell it a.s.a.p., even if you lose some money buy renting
I agree with that too..

Better to have been a has been than a never was.. do what you gotta do, think of repercushions if they evolve into what you expected they wouldnt lol !! hhhahahaha jeeze im a dickhead lol.. yanno what i mean..

I had never rented a house in my life.. came to oz, lived with friends, for few weeks.. bought a house, sold house, rented house, rented another house, and then built a house..

In fact we are good renters.. cos every friggin home we have rented, in 6 weeks the houses have sold !!!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:26 am
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough

We have this predicament at the moment... Just submitted my visa application - house been on the market for a while, but no viewers!!

Need it to sell before we leave - but what if it doesn't??

So if anybody would like a nice 4 bed detached........
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:40 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Hi there
We put our house on the market after spending quite a bit of money doing it up, we got it looking just how we had wanted it(bloody typical). The house hadn't sold as quick as we wanted it to so we are now renting it out. Lucky for us we didn't need to sell to fund the move and i understand that renting may not be an option for everyone. It depends on how quick you want to move and what you financial situation is as to your options.
Don't want to encourage any further debt but i read some where someone had remortgaged to fund the move and rented out house, just a thought.

Good luck with the house sale
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

So we took it.

Steve
what a lovely way with words you have

Yep, we are trying not to leave without selling it, but renting it out is looking more and more appealing.

We've reduced our house quite a bit now but if no one is looking it aint going anywhere!!

sam
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Halo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura about

We have had a house on the market since Dec, only 12 views - the first offered £20k less than asking so we rejected. We wish we had taken it now, but it was priced keenly anyway (£5k less than one opposite). we have since dropped the price £10k. Rather than lower it any more as its still bloody good value I am going the House Doctor route (see http://www.housedoctor.co.uk/ ) using a local consultant. They reckon that you should aim to spend 1-2% of the sale price on House Doctoring it. Its a cost, but possibly we could get this back on an increased sales price - who knows but here's hoping. I want to sell before we go though.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Love it Steve !!

We could not sell ours and had to rent it out-made it harder as you always felt you could not properly move on. We had no choice though. Finally it went....thank God !

So we took it.

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:51 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

we've got 2 viewings this weekend...the first for weeks and weeks . The market around by me has really died on its arse,typical.... if we would have been on the market 12 months ago i reckon we would have shifted it straight away.
Anyway in answer to the OP's question...

i aint got a ****** clue what to do if we dont sell in the next couple of weeks....looks like a reckie/validation trip is on the cards (yet more expense)

Such is life

chin up folks

Lee
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:34 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

i assume that PANIC is not a viable response?!

We have been through the options time and time again - and have ended up with the simple fact that THE HOUSE HAS TO BE SOLD before we go.

Even if it means selling to one of those buy your house companies (who generally give you about 80% of the value) then so be it.

As things stand (fingers crossed) we have a buyer - so (if they ever get themselves sorted) we are just hoping that this is going to go through before we have to be in oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.