Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What will/do you NOT miss from the UK?

What will/do you NOT miss from the UK?

Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice
Default Re: What will/do you NOT miss from the UK?

I don't miss the weather but we are still in early days here... so I do miss my house which reluctantly is being rented out but not a lot we can do about that. I'm sure this thread is going to get interesting though
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:20 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

The weather. That's about it really, not much to complain about the Motherland....
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:49 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No, it's over priced crap, there are too many shops, too many women who don't have the imagination to go elsewhere and therefore don't attempt to look different from every other female walking around. Everyone wears the same shit and the catalogue is rubbish, the clothes and shoes never fit the models. I also hate the fact that every child in the country looks the same and the parents never experiment with the outfits, they dress the kids exactly how the catalogue does and I hate hate hate hate it with a passion.

And b r e a t h................
- I loved it - though I hear what you are saying, I only bought a handful of clothes for myself from Next, but I bought all the kids clothes from there.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

A non exhaustive list:-
  • Cluttered roads – people that park in the road instead of parking bays or driveways
  • The long dreary winters
  • The hit and miss affair of summers
  • Not being able to ride my motorbikes in relative comfort all year round
  • The number people that wear black to work.
  • Small houses that cost a fortune. I would rather a large house that costs a fortune.
  • Single lane and narrow roads meaning if you’re stuck behind a slow driver you’re stuffed
  • Getting dark at 4pm in winter
  • Not being able to grow more than one species of palm tree in my garden
  • Mould and moss growing everywhere
  • Gordon Brown, moth face and the rest of Labour
  • Being asked which part of Australia I come from even though I haven't been there (yet)
  • Rogue tradesmen (but that’s another story)
  • Hamburgers on a Barbie

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 6th 2009 at 12:54 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

A proper Chrimbo I tell thee.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 2:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
A proper Chrimbo I tell thee.
Yep, Christmas in Australia is much better than in the UK.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No, it's over priced crap, there are too many shops, too many women who don't have the imagination to go elsewhere and therefore don't attempt to look different from every other female walking around. Everyone wears the same shit and the catalogue is rubbish, the clothes and shoes never fit the models. I also hate the fact that every child in the country looks the same and the parents never experiment with the outfits, they dress the kids exactly how the catalogue does and I hate hate hate hate it with a passion.

And b r e a t h................
I like next but I don't look like everyone ele walking about
Yes I buy a few bits for the kids from there but it's not the only shop we use
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
I like next but I don't look like everyone ele walking about
Yes I buy a few bits for the kids from there but it's not the only shop we use
Marks and Spencer : by Royal appointment to the Wannabees...they may round off their prices but they still sell rubbish.

Can't stand that UK Next look either.

Give me a few solid retailers any day.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:42 am
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
The weather. That's about it really, not much to complain about the Motherland....

Liking your Location
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:49 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
Liking your Location
A glass of wine helps......
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Things I won't miss

Mother in Law but she's here for 3 months. Only 88 sleeps to go.
Getting dark at 4 pm.
The wind and rain.
M&S Christmas Food Ordering point on Christmas Eve.
De-icing the car first thing, middle thing and last thing!
Having the central heating on for 9 months of the year.
The wet summers over the last 3 years.
Flooding.
MPs expenses.
Football.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Things I won't miss

Mother in Law but she's here for 3 months. Only 88 sleeps to go.
Getting dark at 4 pm.
The wind and rain.
M&S Christmas Food Ordering point on Christmas Eve.
De-icing the car first thing, middle thing and last thing!
Having the central heating on for 9 months of the year.
The wet summers over the last 3 years.
Flooding.
MPs expenses.
Football.
Oh dear god you poor thing I thin kif my mother in law visited i'd committ suicide, the in laws are on my list of reasons to move 10,000 miles.
I'm hoping hubby won't give them a phone number or address either so they can't call or write - Oh I wish you knew how blissful that sounds to me right now
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Am writing this from London and frankly there is pretty much nothing I will miss on thursday when I get my plane home.

Its cold, dark, did I mention dark ?, miserable in terms of people and weather.

I enjoy the cosmopolitan vibrancy and history of being in central London but pretty much there is no way I could live here again. Every few months when I have to be here, I look forward to seeing the shows, eating at nice restaurants but at the end of the week I'm longing for my life on the Brisbane Bay back again.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
Am writing this from London and frankly there is pretty much nothing I will miss on thursday when I get my plane home.

Its cold, dark, did I mention dark ?, miserable in terms of people and weather.

I enjoy the cosmopolitan vibrancy and history of being in central London but pretty much there is no way I could live here again. Every few months when I have to be here, I look forward to seeing the shows, eating at nice restaurants but at the end of the week I'm longing for my life on the Brisbane Bay back again.
Oh dear what mean people are making you visit??? Have you been bad centurion?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Cold, cold winters and er...summers
Fat chicks in crop tops or leggings
Chavs with spots and Elizabeth Duke 'bling' from Argos
Thick people
de-icing the car..
Bumping down my rather small hallway and scuffing all the walls in my ex minature dolls house of a home
....Having to touch up the walls...
My mother (Mordana the evil one)
Traffic
People wingeing - give it a rest guys!
East 'effing Enders
Corry - its not REAL LIFE
Reality TV - Neither is this!!!
My special hate is Come dancing!!!!
People who rush home to watch the above...
BMW drivers who sneer at the 'poor people in society'
Stone cladding and wagon wheels on council estates? WTF???
Wannabes
Gypseys - Thieving pikey B****
uhm? How much space have i got. Oh yes heres a cracker.... MBUK forum with daft comments like I miss the crunch of frozen leaves beneath my feet in winter...and Mrs Ethal who lives down the cobble stone streets in the Cotswolds???
People who say I could of, should of and if only!!!
Thats it for now.... My heart rate is fastening and my wife is giggling!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.