Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What uses do you have for your PComputers.

What uses do you have for your PComputers.

Old Nov 14th 2009, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What uses do you have for your PComputers.

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
We use it as a coffee table.

That's about all it's good for.
LOL

I'm actually looking at a download of Windows 7 as I type right now. Apparently it wipes everything on your old system... no upgrades.

So by this time tomorrow I may be using my comp as a coffee table. Dont know whether I can be buggered stuffing around with it..... there again why did I download it... wish i bleeding hadn't now... temptation is bound to get the better of me once I sink a couple.

dammit !!

Methinks I'm going to be busy reinstalling XP and all the add ons next week lol !
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:16 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Is it a cracked W7? What spec machine have you?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm running the freebie W7 that MS released about six months ago. I dare say I'll just pony up the cash and buy it when it runs out because it is, without doubt, an excellent operating system. The 64-bit version is something of a revelation on my quadcore games machine - blisteringly quick, very responsive, rock solid and it boots bloody quickly too. Not as good as Snow Leopard mind you - but considering it's from MS, it's a hell of an achievement.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
LOL

I'm actually looking at a download of Windows 7 as I type right now. Apparently it wipes everything on your old system... no upgrades.
If you are running the RC of Windows 7 you can just upgrade. Just find the cversion.ini file in the windows directory of the new install disk you've created and change the line

MinClient=7000.0

That way it will over install your current version.

More details here

Works for me.

JTL
Old Nov 15th 2009, 8:03 am
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future
Question Re: What uses do you have for your PComputers.

Originally Posted by silver
We have an old dell p4 running ubuntu, it shares all our media to tv through an xbox360(ushare),
How is easy is ushare to set up with Ubuntu?

I've just going through the motions of switching to Karmic Koala on my main PC; sadly sticking with an XP dual boot as I'm not convinced about the iPod touch support yet.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

So by this time tomorrow I may be using my comp as a coffee table. Dont know whether I can be buggered stuffing around with it..... there again why did I download it... wish i bleeding hadn't now... temptation is bound to get the better of me once I sink a couple.

dammit !!

Methinks I'm going to be busy reinstalling XP and all the add ons next week lol !
Set it up as a dual boot and you can try it out until the RC permission expires.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachband
Is it a cracked W7? What spec machine have you?
Almost 30 months old now.... Intel dual core 6600 @ 2.4ghz Dual Nvidia 7300E, 3GB Ram, dual 320G Harddrives.

Thanks for the tips re the install.... Thats a great site JTL... exactly the kind of site I'm after.... I may install on both our home machines, one the upgrade and one via Wol's dual boot.... which I may do on my machine. My 11 year old can already find all the drivers etc for his machine if needs be.... so he can have the full install . I want to try mucking around with the installation files now. A blown water pump stopped me doing the deed yesterday.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 16th 2009 at 1:39 am.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Spending lots of bandwith looking at ladies in various levels of undress surely has to be one of the best uses of a computer.

I envy the boys of today. When we were their age we had to resort to striding confidently into WH Smiths - eyes on target - to carry out the deed.

Or they need is Google and to be away from prying eyes!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:35 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
So it's one of those really old big ones with about 20 fans in it?

They are much smaller these days. Maybe an upgrade for Christmas would be a good idea.

Why on earth would I buy a PC? Are you mad?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:36 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL

dammit !!

Just buy a Mac. You know you want to.

All you guys, you need to get out more.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Just buy a Mac. You know you want to.

All you guys, you need to get out more.
I'm normally on here, when I'm supposed to be doing housework., so it's a pleasant and very necessary diversion... are all Macs dual boot with Windows as I'm in the market for one for my Daughter.... she needs a laptop with MS Office... she wouldnt take to Open Office on her Linux machine dammit.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:07 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lolcat
How is easy is ushare to set up with Ubuntu?

I've just going through the motions of switching to Karmic Koala on my main PC; sadly sticking with an XP dual boot as I'm not convinced about the iPod touch support yet.
Not too bad...

sudo aptitude install ushare (I think?)
Then there is ushare config file that you need to point to your media and set for xbox360 compatability

Then I have an init.d script to start ushare at boot time. Thats is all as I recall.

Isn't the Ipod supported by one of the media players?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:10 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Spending lots of bandwith looking at ladies in various levels of undress surely has to be one of the best uses of a computer.

I envy the boys of today. When we were their age we had to resort to striding confidently into WH Smiths - eyes on target - to carry out the deed.

I am surprised you didn't get banned by smiths as they were actually expecting sell the magazine not have young men carry out the deed in the shop.....
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:53 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It will place your old files into a folder called windows.old as long as you do not wipe the system partition. I prefer fresh installs as it leaves behind older possibly incompatible programs. I had to repackage a lot of programs to work with UAC on. UAC is an improvement and has reduced the ability of malware to infect a PC.

I bought a new HDD to put W7 on and added the old folders on the old disks to the libraries. Libraries are a new way of organising documents in your profile.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/dev...libraries.aspx

Windows 7 will upgrade Vista.

Remember to make sure you have all those product keys, usernames and passwords handy. Install media for software is handy however old software may need an upgrade.

The good thing is that older hardware drivers are normally detected and installed either from the Win 7 install media or from Windows Update. I have not let an XP driver near my Windows 7 installation to maintain performance. The box is over 4 years old.

LOL

dammit !!

Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:00 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Best done in a virtual machine to avoid contamination of your main PC. Never do it on your banking PC
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.