Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What punishment would you expect from a school?

What punishment would you expect from a school?

Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:41 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default What punishment would you expect from a school?

My son was kicked (maliciously) in the arm last week by his best friend of three years, who just 'flipped out'. The incident happened at school during lunch time on the Oval.

It was witnessed by lots of other children and the boy in question admitted to kicking my son; coupled by the fact he was in the school office complaining of the pain in his foot! My son was sitting on the school oval and his mate just turned on his heel and kicked him full on just below the elbow, breaking his arm.

If this happened to your son, what punishment would you expect to be dished out (from the school) to the child who did the kicking?

Just interested.

TIA,

Jules
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What punishment would you expect from a school?

Originally Posted by julesandco
My son was kicked (maliciously) in the arm last week by his best friend of three years, who just 'flipped out'. The incident happened at school during lunch time on the Oval.

It was witnessed by lots of other children and the boy in question admitted to kicking my son; coupled by the fact he was in the school office complaining of the pain in his foot! My son was sitting on the school oval and his mate just turned on his heel and kicked him full on just below the elbow, breaking his arm.

If this happened to your son, what punishment would you expect to be dished out (from the school) to the child who did the kicking?

Just interested.

TIA,

Jules
How old are the boys.?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:48 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
How old are the boys.?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Just interested.

TIA,

Jules
I would expect at least a suspension and a letter of apology from the child. My daughter had her phone stolen at school a few weeks ago and that is what the child got, 3 days suspension and had to write to my daughter. For violence I would expect at least that. Have the parents been in touch with you? Has the boy called S to apologise at all?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I would expect at least a suspension and a letter of apology from the child. My daughter had her phone stolen at school a few weeks ago and that is what the child got, 3 days suspension and had to write to my daughter. For violence I would expect at least that. Have the parents been in touch with you? Has the boy called S to apologise at all?
What she said ^^
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

OK.My youngest is turning 13 next week.If he broke someones arm he would be in serious trouble.I would expect the school to suspend him for a week and then to be given serious punishment at home.Have the parents been called in to discuss the issue.I would be wondering why two best friends had such a fall out.Are they speaking now.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, suspension and apology letter, at the least. More than three days though, if theft gets three days. You'd think physical violence gets more of a punishment.

I hope his parents have been in touch with you at least. I mean, breaking someone's arm is a pretty serious injury.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

and another thing if you don't get any joy from the school I would be threatening to call the police, it is assault at the end of the day and you have plenty of witnesses. Should put the wind up their backside!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:03 am

Thanks for your replies.....

No contact all all from the child or the parents (and we know them well; he was my son's best friend for heaven's sake and we have had meals with them and the kids have has sleep overs etc. Only the other weekend, my OH took the pair of them to the Motor show).

The boy has been gloating about his two day suspension from school over FB and was outside the school on Friday to walk his girlfriend home (despite his parents banning him from FB for a few days). His parents were livid at the school for suspending him.

He's been chosen the represent the school in a prestigious event in Sept; they have not stopped him participating.

The Head of Middle School phoned me on Friday to ask 'how would I feel if my son was given a detention if it was found that he 'antagonised' his friend?' Can you antagonise someone into breaking an arm? It wasn't as if they were toe to toe; my son was sat down.

I'm really angry and hurt

Jules x
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I never understood suspension as a punishment.

I dreamed of one everytime I did something wrong at school but only ever got detention.

However, for breaking your son's arm - what the other posters have said.

Doesn't sound like the headmaster is handling it very well. Surely if your son was antagonising the other kid, a broken arm is punishment enough, let alone a detention on top.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

No contact all all from the child or the parents (and we know them well; he was my son's best friend for heaven's sake and we have had meals with them and the kids have has sleep overs etc. Only the other weekend, my OH took the pair of them to the Motor show).

The boy has been gloating about his two day suspension from school over FB and was outside the school on Friday to walk his girlfriend home (despite his parents banning him from FB for a few days). His parents were livid at the school for suspending him.

He's been chosen the represent the school in a prestigious event in Sept; they have not stopped him participating.

The Head of Middle School phoned me on Friday to ask 'how would I feel if my son was given a detention if it was found that he 'antagonised' his friend?' Can you antagonise someone into breaking an arm? It wasn't as if they were toe to toe; my son was sat down.

Jules x
That's so frustrating! The fact that the school is not taking this seriously and the parents refuse to acknowledge what has gone on would also make me consider getting the police involved. Sure, the school and parents might have this "oh, boys will be boys," attitude but we're talking broken bones here. Assault, with witnesses. And the fact that the young man is laughing about it and thinking it's no big deal--well, he's learning that you can injure someone, with very little consequences, and it's all a big joke. Can't wait to see what kind of fights he gets into at 15 or 18.

The fact that his parents are ticked at the school is just pathetic. If my kid broke someone's arm, my anger would not be directed at the school.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by xzibit
I never understood suspension as a punishment.

I dreamed of one everytime I did something wrong at school but only ever got detention.

However, for breaking your son's arm - what the other posters have said.

Doesn't sound like the headmaster is handling it very well. Surely if your son was antagonising the other kid, a broken arm is punishment enough, let alone a detention on top.
That's what I said! He's missing out on being in the soccer finals and he'll be in plaster for his birthday - I think he's been punished enough.

My son was actually standing up for his mate's girlfriend. His mate was being rough with her and he told him to leave her alone and go and toss a ball around if he wanted to play rough as he'd end up hurting her.

Jules
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:16 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

if someone kicked you and broke your arm whilst you were sitting down no matter what you said to them the police would arrest them for assault so why is this different because it happened at school?

at 13 this boy knows what he did is wrong
call the police now!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Japonica
That's so frustrating! The fact that the school is not taking this seriously and the parents refuse to acknowledge what has gone on would also make me consider getting the police involved. Sure, the school and parents might have this "oh, boys will be boys," attitude but we're talking broken bones here. Assault, with witnesses. And the fact that the young man is laughing about it and thinking it's no big deal--well, he's learning that you can injure someone, with very little consequences, and it's all a big joke. Can't wait to see what kind of fights he gets into at 15 or 18.

The fact that his parents are ticked at the school is just pathetic. If my kid broke someone's arm, my anger would not be directed at the school.
I know. It is GBH and they don't seem at all bothered!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Jules x
Perhaps a visit from the local police might be in order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.