Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is the point of the EPA?

What is the point of the EPA?

Old Dec 1st 2006, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down What is the point of the EPA?

Yesterday I was driving along the Westgate Freeway into Melbourne and there was rubbish blowing all over the freeway.
Eventually I caught up with an industrial truck which was shedding paper and polystyrene all over the road- heaps of it. Being a good citizen I noted the rego and phoned EPA litter line when I got home.

Their response? If it was a car driver throwing a cigarette butt out of the window, they could fine the driver. As it was a commercial driver (causing far more litter/pollution) I have to download a form, complete a stat dec, get it signed by a JP and submit it.

What an absolute waste of my time (as I do not know a JP) and energy.

The conclusion seems to be - fine the individual as they are easy pickings, let the industrial boys get off.

Last time I try and do my bit.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

guyguy2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the point of the EPA?

Don't give up pomster... its not hard to find a JP ask at your workplace there is always a few around you and you don't know it, since to become one you only need to go thru a short course and voila.. you are a JP . Don't give up doing the right thing - at least in Vic there is a hotline for this - in QLD they are only going to implement it now after the litter issue here is getting out of control, the laws until now didn't cater for the public to be able to report litterbugs. why do some people think its totally acceptable to throw bottles on the road? I think its an australian problem not a state problem but from what Mr John Howard said about the kids littering the Anzac memorial site 2 years ago I dont think the federal governent really cares!
In any case, don't stop being a good citizen just because of biocracy.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 7:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of litter on the freeways around here is truly staggering - drove up to Campbelltown and back on the Hume yesterday and every square inch appeared to be covered with bottles, paper, plastic - you name it.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

NSW is very bad in that regard. I think it should be very simple - its easy and not too expensive to do a DNA test on bottles to see who is the offender. DNA samples could be collected from any driver that does an alcohol blood test in random check points and put against a database. mix and match - and send the offenders a serious fine. should cover costs in less than a year on street and freeway cleaning costs alone reduced sharply.

Once you are not anonymous anymore - you'll think twice about doing this.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 10:16 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pomster
Yesterday I was driving along the Westgate Freeway into Melbourne and there was rubbish blowing all over the freeway.
Eventually I caught up with an industrial truck which was shedding paper and polystyrene all over the road- heaps of it. Being a good citizen I noted the rego and phoned EPA litter line when I got home.

Their response? If it was a car driver throwing a cigarette butt out of the window, they could fine the driver. As it was a commercial driver (causing far more litter/pollution) I have to download a form, complete a stat dec, get it signed by a JP and submit it.

What an absolute waste of my time (as I do not know a JP) and energy.

The conclusion seems to be - fine the individual as they are easy pickings, let the industrial boys get off.

Last time I try and do my bit.

Seems to be like your turning into a whinging Aussie
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by baconmaster
Seems to be like your turning into a whinging Aussie
Whinging is better than being indifferent.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:45 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hear hear!
You can usually find a JP at your council office, usually at the front reception desk. It's worth doing.