Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What inspired you to come and your advice.

What inspired you to come and your advice.

Old May 24th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of
Default What inspired you to come and your advice.

It takes a lot of courage to leave your home country permanently behind and settle in a new one, so bravo to all you brave people who decided to test the waters and go for it. It also takes gutz to give a place a good go, and then to make a decision to return home, if that's your choice.

I am wondering what inspired you personally to come to Australia?

And, what is the single most important bit of advice (in a few easy sentences) that you could give someone who is considering the big move from the UK?

I know this thread seems a little boring but I thought it might be handy to specify the most important advice and inspirations all in one thread.

Vegemite.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of
Default Re: What inspired you to come and your advice.

Dont join the 'What if' brigade....give it a go
Old May 24th 2007, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Inspiration to immigrate?

MOTHER IN LAW

nuf sed
Old May 24th 2007, 8:22 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
It takes a lot of courage to leave your home country permanently behind and settle in a new one, so bravo to all you brave people who decided to test the waters and go for it. It also takes gutz to give a place a good go, and then to make a decision to return home, if that's your choice.

And, what is the single most important bit of advice (in a few easy sentences) that you could give someone who is considering the big move from the UK?

I know this thread seems a little boring but I thought it might be handy to specify the most important advice and inspirations all in one thread.

Vegemite.
Inspiration - My wife... I had never been before...

Advice - Expect nothing... and be pleasantly surprised...
Old May 24th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Inspiration - horror at the prospect of living in the same house in the same town doing the same job in ten years time. (Not that my life was awful or anything!) I just really needed to feel that I was in control of my life and I could make it EXCITING!

Advice - that cheesy quote about regretting the chances you don't take more than the chances you do. It's so true.
Old May 24th 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=esperanza;4827722]Inspiration - horror at the prospect of living in the same house in the same town doing the same job in ten years time. (Not that my life was awful or anything!) I just really needed to feel that I was in control of my life and I could make it EXCITING!

Same for me
Old May 24th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband!

It wasnt something id have thought of as iw as happy where i was. He was desperate to come back & i loved him enough to take the chance

Unfortunately at the moment i wished i hadnt but time will tell & i aint giving in yet!!
Old May 25th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite

Vegemite.
I'd say dont look on it as a permanent move for ever, more a lets go and see.
If you have property in the UK rent it out, dont burn your bridges

Good luck and hope you love it
Old May 25th 2007, 12:49 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to try something different and new for a long time...took us over 10 years to finally make the decision to come to Aus, didn't want to look back and say "what if".
Old May 25th 2007, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Wow, good for you guys.
Thanks for posting.

V.
Old May 25th 2007, 5:41 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i wanted to get away from th u.k,now after a year i dont know what i did'nt like about it,but my rekkie in perth did it for me,its a million miles better than where i live(from what i have seen so far,and what i want from it)..

my advise...

me personally,i would listen to people that have been there ,done it and wore the t shirt.
i am a little guilty of being blinkered and at the start ,i would not have anything bad said about australia and the road you have to go down to get there..

its not an easy road,limbo,emotions,good byes,selling all you hard earned at a loss..
dont under estimate someone who tells you how hard it is,because it is..

but....

you can do it, set your stall out and just get on with it!!!!

[F]you cant make an omelette with out breaking an egg..[/FONT]

aston

Last edited by aston man; May 25th 2007 at 5:47 am.