Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What have you done to change your life?

What have you done to change your life?

Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:02 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you done to change your life?

I was an IT consultant. I had brain surgery and was unemployed for nearly two years, while I recovered then I got a job in employment services training people how to use computers. I am now a qualified trainer and help people find work and learn how to use computers. I would not go back to being an IT consultant even if I could because I get more satisfaction from this job. Yes I miss the money but its not all about the money. I have a job that I enjoy and that counts for a lot.

Life is short try and spend as much of it as you can doing a job you enjoy.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:56 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
I was an IT consultant. I had brain surgery and was unemployed for nearly two years, while I recovered then I got a job in employment services training people how to use computers. I am now a qualified trainer and help people find work and learn how to use computers. I would not go back to being an IT consultant even if I could because I get more satisfaction from this job. Yes I miss the money but its not all about the money. I have a job that I enjoy and that counts for a lot.

Very true, sometimes it takes a life changing event to make you want to alter your own life, sometimes its a moment of clarity.

With me it was a moment of clarity, I am going to pay my college fees this week, who knows where it will lead - I dont thats for sure, but it will be good to find out and meet different people not associated with my current job.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I've done anything terribly radical (other than to decide to adopt a baby after 17 years of marriage at the age of 41), but I was reading some story a while ago about a speech by Steve Jobs. In it he highlighted various things he'd done that had no obvious point at the time but which, years later, came in incredibly useful.

So you never know.......
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:18 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Not sure I've done anything terribly radical (other than to decide to adopt a baby after 17 years of marriage at the age of 41), but I was reading some story a while ago about a speech by Steve Jobs. In it he highlighted various things he'd done that had no obvious point at the time but which, years later, came in incredibly useful.

So you never know.......
I think thats wonderful, was that in the UK or did you adopt in Australia? I have heard adoption in the UK is quite hard to do but dont know how true that is.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore. Yes, VERY hard in the UK, as in Australia, which is why there's unlikely to be another one. May look into fostering here when we've settled and Mini's a bit older.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:25 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone is interested in changing their career direction you may find this site useful. Its also useful if you have directionless teens

My Future

There is a career counsellor as well as heaps of advice on courses etc
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
I know exactly what you mean PP! I've been a Chef all my working life, starting off in the armed forces and now on civvy street. I no longer enjoy cooking, the fun has been taken out of it for me. I looked into doing Health education but it all involves so much expensive study, which I just don't have. I can tell you exactly what i will be cooking on any given day for the next 25 years if i stay where i am. I dont want to go back to split shifts and quite honestly i want to re discover my passion for cooking. For me the only way to do this is a complete change out of the kitchen. I am currently applying to join the WA police force. Initially just an Auxillary officer based in station but who knows where it will end up? All I know is that I am excited at the prospect of a new challenge and something that has some sort of career prospects. There is no where for me to go within my current job on the career ladder and that prospect depresses me.

In the meantime if anyone has a spare couch in Joondalup i may be needing it if i am successful in my application.
I am next suburb to Joondalup, give me a shout if you need a bed. More than happy to help if I can.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am next suburb to Joondalup, give me a shout if you need a bed. More than happy to help if I can.

hey thats fab - was only tongue in cheek when i mentioned it but who knows how things will pann out!! Thanks so much
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:38 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Anyone is interested in changing their career direction you may find this site useful. Its also useful if you have directionless teens

My Future

There is a career counsellor as well as heaps of advice on courses etc
Looks useful, thanks
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP

I misread that as you having had (operated) a brain surgery. I thought - 'That's a job to get out of!'.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3

So you never know.......
I'd say that's pretty bloomin' radical, Fo3, and takes big balls, especially at 41 and in La La Land. I got cats instead and I sometimes think I'm not grown-up/responsible enough to have those.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'd say that's pretty bloomin' radical, Fo3, and takes big balls, especially at 41 and in La La Land. I got cats instead and I sometimes think I'm not grown-up/responsible enough to have those.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:31 am
Banned

stranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nice

Single mum with 12years old son, never be enough, but I keep in mind what planned next to follow the step , happy travelling one of my fascinating about, we live what we're now, think about today , soon I have to move out from my parents house, guess they kicking me out because another sister don't really happy with me..

Big huge step for me to rent or even buy small place to live in, I found not easy at all , all is up to my wings,

But I'm gratefull in life what I have done so far, average life and keep smiles always wherever you feeling down..
keep it strong , and be happy person ...

Honestly, I have no friend, not because I'm a loner, I just can't stand be around with negative ppl around..its made me sick!

When I feel alone, sports its to filled my free time.., being close to the beauty of nature and wave of the sea...so much you can see what your future would be...

look forward, and never look back
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by daunted
I know exactly what you mean PP! I've been a Chef all my working life, starting off in the armed forces and now on civvy street. I no longer enjoy cooking, the fun has been taken out of it for me. I looked into doing Health education but it all involves so much expensive study, which I just don't have. I can tell you exactly what i will be cooking on any given day for the next 25 years if i stay where i am. I dont want to go back to split shifts and quite honestly i want to re discover my passion for cooking. For me the only way to do this is a complete change out of the kitchen. I am currently applying to join the WA police force. Initially just an Auxillary officer based in station but who knows where it will end up? All I know is that I am excited at the prospect of a new challenge and something that has some sort of career prospects. There is no where for me to go within my current job on the career ladder and that prospect depresses me.

In the meantime if anyone has a spare couch in Joondalup i may be needing it if i am successful in my application.
Keep us updated about it.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:45 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

Am definately have an 'age-crisis' thing, i feel soooo old these days, doesnt hellp at work when most of the peeps are young sassy nurses! Am definately losing confidence due to being self-conscious about my age.

I also felt obligated to do a course, just on the off chance we return to the u.k and can add it to my c.v , so i might possible get some sort of nursing job again, as there is not a great shortage in scotland, so i would be up against nurses half my age with twice my qualifications.
and half your experience!!
Your age is an asset M, you just need to believe it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.