Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What it GREAT about Great Britain

What it GREAT about Great Britain

Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all
Default What it GREAT about Great Britain

If I play my cards right I WILL get to Oz, clicking my heels of my little glittery red shoes doesnt seem to work (prob cos Dorothy left Oz wearing them and not the other way round - or is that wrong - havent watched the film for years!!)!!

Anyhow what I went to ask people who are in Oz or are leaving for Oz what will they still see GREAT about Great Britain, cmon i'm sure there are 5 things you love about it. For me it is:
  1. British music - I was bored last night and watched the music channels and do you know what we Brits have so many good singer songwriters
  2. The Lake District - what can I say, it takes my breath away everytime I go
  3. Channel 4 films- you cant beat them
  4. Pies - well I am from Wigan
  5. British Comedians - we are in a league of our own.
All said and done - I love them and have great memories of watching, listening, breathing, eating and laughing - but NOT that much!!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:24 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What it GREAT about Great Britain

Haha! Okay here goes:-

For me it has to be:-

1. Proper tea bags! (No matter what they say Aussie T bags are just not the same).
2. Castles - I love a good spooky castle. Dont think they have any in Oz?
3. Being able to go anywhere in Europe in less than 4 hours!
4. Old skool dance music - despite what the rest of the world think, we probably heard it before 1992 and the version they know is just a rubbish remix.
5. Pimbletts Pies. Sorry Emz but they are the best (yes and I'm a Saints fan too)

Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:56 am
Just Joined

LynziC is an unknown quantity at this point

Pork Pies, proper fish and chips with mushy peas from your local chippy, indian curries,

Most thing missed - A wintery christmas wearing jumpers, having all the christmas lights on eating the biggest warmest turkey dinner, watching someone die in eastenders, sleepy christmas afternoon eating cheese footballs selection box chocolate and turkey sandwiches and playing a dvd quiz game with nan.....

I love my Christmases here in oz with all the seafood but they'll never quite compare to that traditional british xmas...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Dorothy was still in WA
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

I miss:

Hozelock
Scotch Eggs.

I know you can get Scotch Eggs here but not where I live.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
British music - I was bored last night and watched the music channels and do you know what we Brits have so many good singer songwriters
  1. The Lake District - what can I say, it takes my breath away everytime I go
  2. Channel 4 films- you cant beat them
  3. Pies - well I am from Wigan
  4. British Comedians - we are in a league of our own.
All said and done - I love them and have great memories of watching, listening, breathing, eating and laughing - but NOT that much!!!
Actually you are not far off.Well apart from the Lake District where I've spent 14 days and been rained on for 14 days

Comedians here aren't as quick witted. Watch 'The Glass house' (well you can't anymore its been cancelled) and compare it with 'Have I got news for you'. Much quicker wit on HIGNFY. Even the 'Thank god you're here' show in Oz, the comdian always says what I was extecting him to say, they aren't 'out there' replies like Paul Merton comes up with or some of the other guests HIGNFY.

Now, not so much music, but the radio stations here annoy me. The jabbering DJs who again aren't funny, and just rabbit on endlessly. I miss structured radio programmes. You know, bit of DJ talk, bit of music. Here it is all over the place, you can't tell when an advert starts or a song finishes or a comedy bit starts or the news starts.

Pies are all minced beef. You can't get a proper steak pie with real bits of beef in them. Even our former local pie shop, which has won numerous awards for the best pies in Queensland has all minced beef in its steak pies. Maybe thats just my problem

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Oct 12th 2008 at 12:58 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I miss:

Hozelock
Scotch Eggs.

I know you can get Scotch Eggs here but not where I live.
Well if you are going into that kind of detail, I want Greggs to set up a shop in Brisbane. I miss their Sausage rolls and steak bakes (with not minced steak)

JTL
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great things about Britain.....
Great countryside
Lovely pubs
Sense of humour
My friends & family

Not so great...
The weather
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Haha! Okay here goes:-

5. Pimbletts Pies. Sorry Emz but they are the best (yes and I'm a Saints fan too)

Me - well Whelans good old Pooles pie is OK - but you cant beat Greenhalghs steak pies - no mince in them b*ggers - the best in the world
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:34 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm....

1. The countryside - particularly the Cotswolds - but any rural part of the UK.
2. Right to roam. In the UK you don't think twice about striking out across a field because nine times out of ten there's a public footpath where you need to go. Here there's no right to roam and no equivalent to public footpaths.
3. Radio and TV - BBC radio in particular is the best on the planet. We can get 'em all online over here and all I can say is - thank ****. The radio stations here suck donkey balls - the most inane useless presenters, the same 10 shitty soft rock songs repeated ad infinitum and adverts every three minutes. The TV makes Channel 5 look sophisticated - particularly the breakfast shows, the shows just after the breakfast shows and the consumer type shows in the evening after the news. Worse still, there's a bloke called Dave Hughes who pops up on shows like Rove and is the most unfunny **** I've ever had the misfortune to hear.
4. Marks and Spencer underwear.
5. Keeley Hazel.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

First up............ Cornish pasties. I've seen pasties over here and they're all crap.
Radio shows such as Chris Evans or Jonathan Ross - thankfully available on line!!
Being able to drive over 110km/h most of the time (M25 excluded)
Vast choice of internet shopping with next day delivery
English humour - thankfully plenty of fellow Poms in the office
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I thought Dorothy was still in WA
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Real Ale
Country pubs
Barbel fishing
The Peak district.
TV and radio.....I didn't realse how good until I started watching and listening over here

There are more but these are enough for now.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well if you are going into that kind of detail, I want Greggs to set up a shop in Brisbane. I miss their Sausage rolls and steak bakes (with not minced steak)

JTL
But they're the only things I miss (apart from family).

With regards to HIGNFY I agree that it is much better than the Glass House and Aus has nothing to compare. However I'll point out that much of the success of HIGNFY comes down to the actual presenters. A few years ago Merton didn't appear on the programme for quite a while and it was not so good.

Deayton was obviously a freeloader
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:06 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Ok...only 5 things so need to pick carefully....

1) Beautiful Green Countryside with footpaths and hedgerow, and the ability
to walk your dog off the lead almost anywhere, whilst bumping into the odd castle or monument without ketting killed by a paralysis tick (the dog that is).

2) Towns, all of them, all different, all with everything you could want, all fairly close together.

3) Internet shopping that is cheaper has everything you could ever want and delivers next day.

4) Hour to get to Europe, Or 3 hours gets you most places in Europe for a completely different and diverse culture to visit without having to sell your first born son to get there.

5) Beautiful Green Countryside with footpaths and hedgerow, and the ability
to walk your dog off the lead almost anywhere. whilst bumping into the odd castle or monument. This one in hindsight was the most important to me and
the one I miss the most, as does my dog. So deserves a mention twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.