Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most about the UK?

Wikiposts

What do you miss most about the UK?

Old Jul 15th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most about the UK?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You must have autumnal colour where you are (if I'm thinking of the right person ) We have round here, me and the girls were driving along a country road the other day and saw bare trees and stacks of crunchy brown and gold leaves on the floor. We had to park up and go and play in them And all the Poinsettias are looking amazing.
No we dont, not really. I'm not far from you, probably 40-60 mins away your GC yes?)
Ok, theres one tree in a friends garden which is autumnal and the odd liquid amber which are decidous & I love but I meant seeing lots of tree changing.
I'm not complaing though as I do LOVE all the other tropical plants/ferns etc
PS Lovely image of you all kicking about in the leaves - locals would've not got that probably

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jul 15th 2007 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

nattyp will become famous soon enough

Where do I start? The shops (esp. Top Shop and Marks and Sparks food!), buying booze in the supermarkets, front loading washing machines, British comedy shows, decent crisps, pints of beer, trips to Europe - and having more holiday (and not having to earn it!), Thorntons chocolate, better transport. (I've just realised my list is rather food related - heheh!). I can think of many others
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Crikey, you don't sit on the fence do you?! UK wasn't that bad! Where I came from there were lots of friendly people, lovely beaches, and yeah the weather is cold and wet a lot, but there are also lovely days when it is warm and not too hot, you never get the 40degree weeks that have to be survived in a lot of Australia. And are you implying that there are no chavs in Australia?!
I haven't seen too many chavs around this way, I know there are lovely beaches in the UK but it's not often warm enough to sit on them, god forbid you'd want to go in the sea. I suppose I miss the pubs a little bit but not much else.

We also miss Tesco's as Woollies and Coles seem like a throwback to 1970's UK supermarkets
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
Brewers Fayre and Little Chef.
I know it's all highly personal and all mate ... but you've got to be seriously homesick to be missing the utterly rank food and appalling service you'd find in either of those chain establishments. If you ever want a giggle, read through the comments book on the counter in a Little Chef ....
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you have to earn vacation in the UK? It's all pro-rata, just like here.

Otherwise people would work for a week, take their 4 weeks accrural, leave,
repeat ad finitum....and never do any work.

I like earning vacation, 1 week every 3 months -which conveniently enough, is just when I need them.

You get so many sickies and personal leave I never use half of them and carry them forward.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

cabaj will become famous soon enoughcabaj will become famous soon enough

Decent shops
Quality
History
Variety
Music scene
Access to Europe
Seasons
Pubs
Humour
Countryside
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

All day breakfast at the supermarket
How much do you weigh, Sir? Could I interest you in a fitness programme?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I like earning vacation, 1 week every 3 months -which conveniently enough, is just when I need them.

You get so many sickies and personal leave I never use half of them and carry them forward.

Depends on the company really. Most do it by accrual, but some will give you it all at the beginning of the year. If you leave before the end of that year they can take it out of what the wages they owe you.

I like the fact that Australian employers have to pay you a loading on your holiday pay, you get more for being off on holiday than you do for being at work.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I know it's all highly personal and all mate ... but you've got to be seriously homesick to be missing the utterly rank food and appalling service you'd find in either of those chain establishments. If you ever want a giggle, read through the comments book on the counter in a Little Chef ....
I thought it prudent to ignore those two
Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:30 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the food item on the other thread I don't miss anything. I've even adapted to drinking Aussie beer
If I had to return to the Yuk the things I'd miss from here would run to a few pages
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Originally Posted by cresta57
Apart from the food item on the other thread I don't miss anything. I've even adapted to drinking Aussie beer
If I had to return to the Yuk the things I'd miss from here would run to a few pages
You liking beer ? i never would have believed that
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Morgans spiced rum & Labatts ice.
Any flavour of crisps thats not cheese, chicken or BBQ.
Soggy chippy chips wrapped in paper slegered with salt and vinegar.
lying in a tent in any glen in Scotland in the p#ssing rain, after having one too many.
standing on the top of a mountian after spending all day hiking up the bugger staring at the rain pouring on your face !!
Driving for 2 hours and being in a different country.
Pubs.
Indian Restaraunts.
24 hr supermarkets with everything in one shop !
Conversation that extends past sport and weather.
Free dentists and prescriptions for kids.
A Family Doctor.
Schools with speech therapy, OT etc all included in part of the service.
Cheap travel and time off to enjoy it.
Not being the immigrant.
The list does go on and on and on but ,that'll do for just now.

Blimey!! if you miss that much i'm suprised you are here and not in blighty
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Morgans spiced rum & Labatts ice.
Any flavour of crisps thats not cheese, chicken or BBQ.
Soggy chippy chips wrapped in paper slegered with salt and vinegar.
lying in a tent in any glen in Scotland in the p#ssing rain, after having one too many.
standing on the top of a mountian after spending all day hiking up the bugger staring at the rain pouring on your face !!
Driving for 2 hours and being in a different country.
Pubs.
Indian Restaraunts.
24 hr supermarkets with everything in one shop !
Conversation that extends past sport and weather.
Free dentists and prescriptions for kids.
A Family Doctor.
Schools with speech therapy, OT etc all included in part of the service.
Cheap travel and time off to enjoy it.
Not being the immigrant.
The list does go on and on and on but ,that'll do for just now.
Otherwise you are happy here ,I take it.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

I miss a government that takes its instruction from George W and invades other countries, oh hang on its the same as here, so i dont miss anything.

LMAO.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:07 am
Just Joined

nattyp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

No, you do your trial period (where you can't take leave - usually 3 months) and then you have you holiday for the year. If you use up all your holiday in the UK and leave your job and haven't "earnt" it it will be adjusted on your final pay. Over here you can only take what you've earnt. I think it totally sucks as I have to wait ages before I can scrape together enough holiday to go to the UK and see my family. It probably suits you if you want to take a short break every now then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.