Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What to do if house hasn't sold and you have to go?

What to do if house hasn't sold and you have to go?

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:40 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do if house hasn't sold and you have to go?

Has anyone had to emigrate without having sold their house?
Think we will have to go down this road..........and will give our solicitor the power of attorney to finalise all paperwork for us.
I think we also have to inform our home insurance company.......as we will be leaving the house empty......and I believe they charge higher amounts then
Think we wouldn't have to pay council tax as the house is empty.
Mortgage Company don't do the 'holiday payments' so we have to keep on paying the mortgage until we sell!!!
Presume we still have to pay the life policy too?
What about gas, electric, water etc.........have I missed anything else?
Beth x x
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all
Default Re: What to do if house hasn't sold and you have to go?

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Think we will have to go down this road..........and will give our solicitor the power of attorney to finalise all paperwork for us.
I think we also have to inform our home insurance company.......as we will be leaving the house empty......and I believe they charge higher amounts then
Mortgage Company don't do the 'holiday payments' so we have to keep on paying the mortgage until we sell!!!
Beth x x
Hi Beth,
I in same boat we fly in 31/2 wks :curse: and also have to leave house to sell. Paying for 2 houses will not be easy, its really hard isnt it i know exactly how you feel. As for council tax you get 6 months exemption. Am going to keep paying life policy too just in case . As for gas, electric and water we are just leaving blank signed cheques with family to pay them for us, that shouldnt be too much. Our house is only 5 years old but leaving a house empty dont want to get any damp :curse:
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:55 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I think leaving the house in the hands of your solictor is a good idea. When i left my house i informed the insurance company and explained i only need building insurance, as i'd taken my items with me, but the insurance went down. As for the council tax each area has different rules, but i got 6 months free (providing you have no furniture what so ever in the house) but after that period i had to pay again, not sure if i got a reduction for the property being empty. Then the general gas, elec, water, BT, tv lic, etc i cancelled as i no longer needed any of them and everything was fine.

Hope this info helps a little.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:56 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

don't forget to leave a note for the milkman
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:06 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceys
Hi Beth,
I in same boat we fly in 31/2 wks :curse: and also have to leave house to sell. Paying for 2 houses will not be easy, its really hard isnt it i know exactly how you feel. As for council tax you get 6 months exemption. Am going to keep paying life policy too just in case . As for gas, electric and water we are just leaving blank signed cheques with family to pay them for us, that shouldnt be too much. Our house is only 5 years old but leaving a house empty dont want to get any damp :curse:
OMG.....is it 3 and a half weeks left already!!!! Good luck hun!!! Good idea with leaving blank cheques to pay the final household bills.

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Hi,

I think leaving the house in the hands of your solictor is a good idea. When i left my house i informed the insurance company and explained i only need building insurance, as i'd taken my items with me, but the insurance went down. As for the council tax each area has different rules, but i got 6 months free (providing you have no furniture what so ever in the house) but after that period i had to pay again, not sure if i got a reduction for the property being empty. Then the general gas, elec, water, BT, tv lic, etc i cancelled as i no longer needed any of them and everything was fine.

Hope this info helps a little.
Hope our insurance would go down as we would only need building cover too. So much to think about

Originally Posted by Icarus
don't forget to leave a note for the milkman
LOL.........we don't have a milkman with 6 of us living here. I reckon a cow would be cheaper!!!

Beth x x
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all

Beth,

Noticed your struggling with house sale at the moment.

Some food for thought.......

Why don't you move Estate Agents put your house up for realistic amount and offer 5% deposit paid subject to status.
Have a word with estate agents but mortgage market really difficult at moment and this might help someone massively.

Ie if houses near you were up at £150,000 and you've been trying that with no avail and you're willing to take say £142,500 put it up for £150,000 and ad saying 5% vendor paid deposit subject to status. This would help any first time buyers massively. Does depend on the value of your house and other factors and not all mortgage lenders will accept a vender gifted deposit but it's worth having a chat to EA/Mortgage adviser about.

Please feel free to pm me, we've spoken before.

Best of luck

Becky
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:58 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi beth, by the way thanks for those mags, they are great

yeah, .like you we are considering all our options, and it doesnt look good
I dont think we would go and leave the house to the solicitors as I would worry about paying the mortgage. its a big decision, so good luck
bec
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:36 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by Becky723359
Beth,

Noticed your struggling with house sale at the moment.

Some food for thought.......

Why don't you move Estate Agents put your house up for realistic amount and offer 5% deposit paid subject to status.
Have a word with estate agents but mortgage market really difficult at moment and this might help someone massively.

Ie if houses near you were up at £150,000 and you've been trying that with no avail and you're willing to take say £142,500 put it up for £150,000 and ad saying 5% vendor paid deposit subject to status. This would help any first time buyers massively. Does depend on the value of your house and other factors and not all mortgage lenders will accept a vender gifted deposit but it's worth having a chat to EA/Mortgage adviser about.

Please feel free to pm me, we've spoken before.

Best of luck

Becky
Hi Becky,
We've changed EA's a few times already...LOL.....but it seems the market is flat so it's not them.
House originally up for £199,995......then slowly over the last 11 months we have reduced down to £159,995.......and still nothing
House is only 2 years old......semi-detatched with 5-6 bedrooms......solid oak wood flooring throughout downstairs......blah,blah,blah.
Had the HIP done to see if that would help.........but nothing.
EA said our house is perfect and modern etc, just have to wait for someone to buy it.
Bit gutted as we will only have about £5k equity now......but at least we're not into negative equity YET!!!!!
Beth x x
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:21 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Estate agent told us, the only things selling at the minute are the more run down places, but they are getting ridiculously low offers....
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:38 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Beth, I'm really sorry to read that you're in this position & I have no advice to offer you. You must be gutted that your house isn't sold, especially since you won't have that much money if it does sell eventually.

BUT, you are one of the bravest & most determined ladies on here & if anyone has got the right attitude to make your new lives work, you have. I'd wish you all the very best of luck, but you won't need it

Wishing you all very happy
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:31 am
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Beth, I'm really sorry to read that you're in this position & I have no advice to offer you. You must be gutted that your house isn't sold, especially since you won't have that much money if it does sell eventually.

BUT, you are one of the bravest & most determined ladies on here & if anyone has got the right attitude to make your new lives work, you have. I'd wish you all the very best of luck, but you won't need it

Wishing you all very happy
Thanks hun
Beth x x
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Beth x x
Same position but will wait it out. EA says viewers will just put in very cheeky offers if it's empty as they know you have to sell, unfurnished you can see any marks on carpets/walls etc. Then there is a possible tax payable if it doesn't sell within 6 month 'if' it goes up in value. Good luck to you in whatever you decide, we're just over cautious and have had the visa 13 months now
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:02 am
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by marvinc
Same position but will wait it out. EA says viewers will just put in very cheeky offers if it's empty as they know you have to sell, unfurnished you can see any marks on carpets/walls etc. Then there is a possible tax payable if it doesn't sell within 6 month 'if' it goes up in value. Good luck to you in whatever you decide, we're just over cautious and have had the visa 13 months now
Nice to know I'm not the only one in this situation. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons of leaving the house empty now.........seems to be a 'no win' situation either way for us
Really hoping the market picks up soon and we get some viewers lined up........hey I can dream....LOL
Beth x x
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi Beth you'll have to check this out, but OH reckons if you take down the curtains you don't have to pay council tax. But it's worth a phone call to find out.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:07 am
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Hi Beth you'll have to check this out, but OH reckons if you take down the curtains you don't have to pay council tax. But it's worth a phone call to find out.
Yeah I think you have 6 months of no payments whatsoever......then you have to pay a reduced payment from then on until it sells.
Doing my head right in now.........been through hell and back to get the bloody visa.......and the the final problem is selling the house :curse:
Has Dunc stopped laughing at his own joke yet? PMSL
Beth x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.