Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What clothes to wear?

What clothes to wear?

Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default What clothes to wear?

Well, next Winter will be my first Winter in the cold for 3 years. I have been living in the Middle East and have worn flimsy dresses and flip flops probably every day since I arrived.

I know from experience that Australia can get absolutely freezing and just wondered what kinds of clothes you girls wear in the Winter? Do you all wear UGG boots, for instance? What kinds of Winter clothes are going to be fashionable in Oz this coming Winter, does anybody know?

I am off to London in a few days, and wanted to pick up some Winter bargains!

Thanks,

Bambi
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:07 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What clothes to wear?

Originally Posted by Bambi in Sydney
Well, next Winter will be my first Winter in the cold for 3 years. I have been living in the Middle East and have worn flimsy dresses and flip flops probably every day since I arrived.

I know from experience that Australia can get absolutely freezing and just wondered what kinds of clothes you girls wear in the Winter? Do you all wear UGG boots, for instance? What kinds of Winter clothes are going to be fashionable in Oz this coming Winter, does anybody know?

Thanks,

Bambi
it really depends on what part of oz your heading for,
here in the gold coast it rarely gets much below 17,18 degrees during the day mid winter which is still shorts and a long sleeve T shirt weather
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
here in the gold coast it rarely gets much below 17,18 degrees during the day mid winter which is still shorts and a long sleeve T shirt weather
Sydney. And believe me, it gets bloody freezing. Particularly as so many people in Sydney don't put their heating on. Not sure whether it's a 'it doesn't get cold here' thing, or pure miserliness...
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:15 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

It's generally warmer outside than in during winter! Layering is an absolute necessity as it is cold first thing and when the sun goes down but you could manage in shorts and a t-shirt if you have the sun on you in the middle of the day.

Now, what you will need at home is a different matter! Winter woolies, a warm duvet and probably some very fetching flannel pjs!

It's a case of anything goes!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by binbird
It's generally warmer outside than in during winter! Layering is an absolute necessity as it is cold first thing and when the sun goes down but you could manage in shorts and a t-shirt if you have the sun on you in the middle of the day.

Now, what you will need at home is a different matter! Winter woolies, a warm duvet and probably some very fetching flannel pjs!

It's a case of anything goes!
You make it all sound so glamorous binbird !
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Speak for yourself Oh you were I'm in jumper and jeans today and it's summer, there is no hope for me
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We arrived in Perth in Winter. I was glad I had with me:

My uggs
Slippers
Socks
Warm Jammies
Dressing gown - it is bloody freezing in the morning and evenings.
Layers like t-shirts and cardis/fleeces.
Jeans
V neck jumpers

I also had with me some light summer clothes such as 3/4 trousers, a pair of thongs and some t-shirts and some days it can be lovely.

For winter in Perth an absolute must is a rain proof jacket (you won't need a coat) and a brollie!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Thanks,

Bambi

LOL! When you get to London, you will see what "absolutely freezing" is. Sydney is positivley balmy in the winter. I was walking around in shorts/ Tees in Mar/Apr/May when I arrived this year. Got some funny looks from the locals who were wearing scarfves!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:07 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Speak for yourself Oh you were I'm in jumper and jeans today and it's summer, there is no hope for me
well it did drop to 24
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

well it did drop to 24
See, knew it was chilly
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've had 30 winters here and I've never been 'absolutely freezing' - except when skiing in the Snowy Mountains. Even in the middle of the night, the temperature rarely drops even into single digits (unless you're way out west in the wilds of Penrith or halfway up the Blue Mountains) so to describe a Sydney winter as 'absolutely freezing' is exaggerating just a bit.

During the day, you certainly don't need ugg boots or even a coat. Ugg boots are mostly used as slippers indoors anyway - they're not exactly a cool item of footwear to wear out. I've always managed with an ordinary jacket - I do have a lot of scarves but that's only to add a bit of variety and colour - not because I really need them for warmth or anything.

How cold you are indoors is entirely up to you. If you feel cold inside - get a heater. It's what most people do.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by NickyC
so to describe a Sydney winter as 'absolutely freezing' is exaggerating just a bit.
I don't think it's exaggerating though. Obviously it is technically but everyone feels the heat or the cold differently. I feel 'frozen cold' here in winter if we don't have the fire going. It may only be 18 degrees but to me it's 'freezing'. On the other hand, in summer it can be 35 degrees and I consider it warm, others can't cope because they're 'boiling'. It's relative to what you personally feel.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

What kinds of Winter clothes are going to be fashionable in Oz this coming Winter, does anybody know?
Bambi
Fashion in Australia

Gems
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:39 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

just wondered what kinds of clothes you girls wear in the Winter? Do you all wear UGG boots, for instance? What kinds of Winter clothes are going to be fashionable in Oz this coming Winter, does anybody know?
No-one wears Uggs outside, as someone else said they are more used as slippers. A bit too early to tell what will be in next winter but likely to still be the skinny's/blazer type look or rockabilly. Platforms still big. 80's has been done to death thank god and leggings finally over. Even though they deliver here now I'd suggest that you basically stock up in Topshop and then you'll be fine. Have a look at the Aus Grazia online and you'll get the general idea of what clothes we're wearing.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Bambi
It is absolutely freezing in London at the moment, make sure you are prepared for the minute you step off the plane.

I am still not convinced that it is ever freezing in Australia, not from my monitoring of climate charts anyway. When I lived in Bermuda the locals would pull out arctic survival suits if the temperature dropped below 20c so I supposed it is what you are used to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.