Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what best to take and what to leave behind

what best to take and what to leave behind

Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what best to take and what to leave behind

Originally Posted by wardy2
Is right that you are not allowed to take many new things such as washing machines, fridges, TV's etc.
Originally Posted by steve`o
rubbish the only thing i wouldnt bring isthe fridge as it would have to work its knackers off to cope with the heat

But don't let them 'look' new or you'll have to pay duty on them
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:00 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
But don't let them 'look' new or you'll have to pay duty on them
what do you suggest wends rough em up a bit
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
Is right that you are not allowed to take many new things such as washing machines, fridges, TV's etc.
No. Bring everything. All your electrical appliances will work here. I have 2 UK fridges in my garage and they work fine.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 29th 2008 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
what do you suggest wends rough em up a bit

Could do, or you could just take them out of the original packaging
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

vickiejaynem will become famous soon enough

thanks heaps for the info eveyone. I have looked into getting new bunk beds for the kids before we go to take over with us as theirs are trashed basically covered in stickers ,drawn on etc.Good to know we can get wooden ones in potentially as they would be varnished ones that waay we can send them offf early so we might not have long to wait by the time we get there for them and have big trip to recycling yard with whats left behind.
As for white goods will prob get new washing machine here ie big load one as have 4 young kids and take with me(kids 2.lol).Wont bother with the fridge.Dont think it would survive the journey.lol.tv so big.A big box style one prob take up halff the crate good excuse to leave and get flat screen one when we get there hubby says.lol
what about picture frames that are wooden can you take them? and kids wooden toys .sounds so silly to ask but realy trying to work out what we can take to save on having to leave stuff behind only to find we could take it.We have heap junk we are already downsizing. will make ssure the kids bikes are spotless before we ggo.
what packing comapny are most people using?we are up in ne scotland just now so not really spoilt for choice localy.
thanks
vickie
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

take my advice ............. you WONT need a breadbin!! WHY did i pack a flaming bread bin????????
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
THATS WHAT SHE THINKS

KEV
Ooops!!! rumbled!!!

Nickie
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:49 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
Im taking the money but leaving the husband and kids.

But dont tell em yet ok.

Nickie
LOL, good idea - i'm gonna try that one!

P.S. Welcome to BE Vicky,
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Re: what best to take and what to leave behind

I AM TAKING ONE BAG AND FOUR DUSTBIN LIDS:

KEV
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

we are taking everything and a years supply of gravy granuals I can live without a lot of things but not me gravy
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:09 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickiejaynem
thanks heaps for the info eveyone. I have looked into getting new bunk beds for the kids before we go to take over with us as theirs are trashed basically covered in stickers ,drawn on etc.Good to know we can get wooden ones in potentially as they would be varnished ones that waay we can send them offf early so we might not have long to wait by the time we get there for them and have big trip to recycling yard with whats left behind.
As for white goods will prob get new washing machine here ie big load one as have 4 young kids and take with me(kids 2.lol).Wont bother with the fridge.Dont think it would survive the journey.lol.tv so big.A big box style one prob take up halff the crate good excuse to leave and get flat screen one when we get there hubby says.lol
what about picture frames that are wooden can you take them? and kids wooden toys .sounds so silly to ask but realy trying to work out what we can take to save on having to leave stuff behind only to find we could take it.We have heap junk we are already downsizing. will make ssure the kids bikes are spotless before we ggo.
what packing comapny are most people using?we are up in ne scotland just now so not really spoilt for choice localy.
thanks
vickie
yes picture frames are fine and kids wooden toys, its only untreated wood you will have a problem with i.e in its raw state, its all about potential bugs in the wood that they are bothered about

re shipping companies you will find lots of threads if you do a search. I dont know about any local in Scotland but we used PSS and they have a depot in Glasgow.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No. Bring everything. All your electrical appliances will work here. I have 2 UK fridges in my garage and they work fine.
God, your fridge worked after that long journey. Our fridge didn't make the journey from Dublin to Cavan And that was only an hours drive.....