Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Wikiposts

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:23 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Not living the dream yet - Sydney's housing market and the difficulties in getting a permanent job in my line of work are two major impediments. I'm considering a move to Queensland because I think this dream needs some new impetus.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus;4362231]
Originally Posted by Rachie241

Australia has less than half the population of the UK.
A lot less than half. UK has around 60 million (8 mill of them in London) and Aus has just over the 20 million mark. (a bit of perspective- 4 million live in Vic, the smallest state which is around the size of Britain, and 3.5 of those Vic million live in and around Melbourne)
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by m100
?
Arrived in Sydney, Australia in August 2006 having spent a month in Asia, found a nice apartment overlooking the harbour near Manly on my 3rd day here and moved in on the 4th day.

Bought a sports car. Decided to take the next 4-6 months off and enjoy some spare time, R&R, hobbies etc so took the opportunity to get back into sailing and climbing and generally improve my fitness. Through my other hobby of motorcycles I also met and am now dating the girl of my dreams. We both are into climbing and motorbikes. I've since bought a yacht and am teaching my gf to sail. She is also big time into sky diving! I can't comment on how bad Australian TV is as I've not had a chance to watch it!!!

Now that we are into 2007 I've just started working as the Application Development Manager for a big international company in Sydney CBD. Great opportunity and am already recruiting to grow my team. My overall package is as good as/better than I was on in the UK and my gf and I are now looking to buy a house.

So to me that was my "australian dream" and yes I am living it... I have a good job, fun hobbies and someone to share them with. I am building up a good social network and am in good shape.

In my mind if you are focussed on what it is you want and really want it then you will find it....

:-)

Alex
Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair f***s to you sir ...

Nice story.

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
Arrived in Sydney, Australia in August 2006 having spent a month in Asia, found a nice apartment overlooking the harbour near Manly on my 3rd day here and moved in on the 4th day.

Bought a sports car. Decided to take the next 4-6 months off and enjoy some spare time, R&R, hobbies etc so took the opportunity to get back into sailing and climbing and generally improve my fitness. Through my other hobby of motorcycles I also met and am now dating the girl of my dreams. We both are into climbing and motorbikes. I've since bought a yacht and am teaching my gf to sail. She is also big time into sky diving! I can't comment on how bad Australian TV is as I've not had a chance to watch it!!!

Now that we are into 2007 I've just started working as the Application Development Manager for a big international company in Sydney CBD. Great opportunity and am already recruiting to grow my team. My overall package is as good as/better than I was on in the UK and my gf and I are now looking to buy a house.

So to me that was my "australian dream" and yes I am living it... I have a good job, fun hobbies and someone to share them with. I am building up a good social network and am in good shape.

In my mind if you are focussed on what it is you want and really want it then you will find it....

:-)

Alex
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:09 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by arkon

Thats why you should work the stats out per capita, ie. how many per 100,000 people for example. Using that method you will see eric hitchmo is indeed correct and violent crime, crime against woman and theft is far higher here than back home and for the life of me I don't understand why everyone back home thinks it's better here. Is it because the weather is better?
Arkon,From reading your posts you have'nt experienced any crime in OZ apart from your thread where you complained about being short changed 5c.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 6th 2007 at 11:12 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Arkon,From reading your posts you have'nt experienced any crime in OZ apart from your thread where you complained about being short changed 5c.
The nice thing with statistics is that they can be used to prove just about anything :-)

Alex
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:38 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

The nice thing with statistics is that they can be used to prove just about anything :-)

Alex
Read again LPP. We just had the wifes swimsuit knicked, friends just had all their washing on the line knicked, Plenty of short changing and a lot more than 5c!

Oh and an aboriginal throwing a rock at my car, which hit and dented the front passenger door.

A water pipe cut on the property.

So all pretty petty really but crime none the less!

(Sorry just replied to the wrong poster, it should be LPP)
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:40 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Good one LPP, I particularly like your method of doing stats. "I have not suffered from crime so it doesn't exist aproach" excellent.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:49 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alex,

nice to hear how well things have been going for you.

All the best

Gina
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Alex,

nice to hear how well things have been going for you.

All the best

Gina
Thanks Gina. I've not been on expats much the last few months so hope everything is going well for you

regards

Alex
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:27 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

My Australian dream 10 years ago was just to own a house, have a nice car. However, I was in a childrens ward in a hospital. I saw many children there suffering from cancer, and other life threatening deceases. Children as young as 5 having cancer, and then there were the babies.....
After seeing this your outlook on life changes, I started to enter the truck in the convoy for kids, which helps raise money for cancer research. And the kids would come in the truck with you and they would talk to other kids on the CB, and blow the airhorns. These small things that didn't seem much at the time, made these kids happy.
I stopped for a couple of years after finding out some of the kids had past away, it really hit me hard. However, I will be entering the truck agin this year.
Life is too short to be worrying about what makes me unhappy, things do piss me off, but, I choose to move on and not let things take over my life, I don't care if don't ever own a house, life's too short I'm going to enjoy it.

ZX........
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:49 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Read again LPP. We just had the wifes swimsuit knicked, friends just had all their washing on the line knicked, Plenty of short changing and a lot more than 5c!

Oh and an aboriginal throwing a rock at my car, which hit and dented the front passenger door.

A water pipe cut on the property.

So all pretty petty really but crime none the less!

(Sorry just replied to the wrong poster, it should be LPP)
About the Aboriginal throwing the rock at your car , l think you said you drove to the Aboriginal settlement just to have a look at them or to see what they live like, perhaps you were staring at them and thats why they threw the rock.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 7th 2007 at 12:52 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:16 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

About the Aboriginal throwing the rock at your car , l think you said you drove to the Aboriginal settlement just to have a look at them or to see what they live like, perhaps you were staring at them and thats why they threw the rock.
No, you clearly think wrong. We didn't even know there was an aboriginal settlement there when we drove past. If you must know we were going north from forster back home decided to take the first Taree exit and get some food before going home. This led us past the township.

It would seem to you that regardless of what I say you will try and find fault in it, even to the extent in this case that somehow I caused a rock to be thrown at the car by staring. Amazing that you who were not even there could know such a thing. The taree aboriginal township is hidden behind a big brick wall and unless you were told it was there you would never know.

Clearly you know nothing about me so maybe you should stick to things that concern you directly and stop trying to defend Australia at every turn and even try and defend vandalism and agressive behavior by blaming the victim. I suppose you are one of those people that think rape victims were clearly asking for it.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:28 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you are one of those people that think rape victims were clearly asking for it.

And clearly you don't know him, so how can you make this stupid remark? And clearly you don't know every Australian, so next time you want to paint us all with the same brush, think again...

ZX......
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:22 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
And clearly you don't know him, so how can you make this stupid remark? And clearly you don't know every Australian, so next time you want to paint us all with the same brush, think again...

ZX......
He thought that I must have been staring at an aboriginal and therefor invited a stoning as a result. How is this any different to those that say if a girl is dressed provocatively she must be asking for it? And what has knowing every Australian got to do with anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.