Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Wikiposts

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

[QUOTE=Rachie241;4362220]
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I meant population not size of country.... as I said I know nothing, just what I am perceiving....
Australia has less than half the population of the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:17 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rachie241;4362220]
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I meant population not size of country.... as I said I know nothing, just what I am perceiving....
Thats why you should work the stats out per capita, ie. how many per 100,000 people for example. Using that method you will see eric hitchmo is indeed correct and violent crime, crime against woman and theft is far higher here than back home and for the life of me I don't understand why everyone back home thinks it's better here. Is it because the weather is better?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think all the education arguments are completely pointless and usually come down to conveniently remembered facts and forgotten truths.

All I know is that for every thicky I've ever met, I've met a well educated person in both countries.

Under all that Aussie larrikanism - you'd be surprised how scholarly and well educated a bloke can be.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where this incident occurred, but where I come from police are trained to shoot to kill, not injur. An injured person, especially someone who is psychotic and not medicated, can continue to inflict injury to innocent people.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Using that method you will see eric hitchmo is indeed correct and violent crime, crime against woman and theft is far higher here than back home and for the life of me I don't understand why everyone back home thinks it's better here.
Probably because someone living in a crap area can afford to move to a better area, one of the sole reasons make the move in the first place - make no mistake.

People tend to visit areas they consider to be 'classy' and also correlate the laid back Aussie, 'polite' and 'attentive' kids with tighter communities etc. If you visited my village here you would be forgiven for coming to that conclusion and you would be right, too.

Standard Disclaimers: There is of course crime in posh areas too - as was discussed once - but I can tell you I feel much safer here than in South London and have never felt unsettled anywhere in Melbourne.

Another issue: there are well known touristy destinations well sought after that have their own hoon and drink element at night eg. Sydney beaches, Gold Coast beaches, St Kilda(?)
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I would never live there - great to visit as it is such an inherently interesting place. It just amazes me how people move from somewhere like Perth to somewhere like London. Bizzarre. I think you are in for some major reverse culture shock on your return. It will be interesting (not Perth obviously, your response). Take back plenty of crosswords, etc, to keep you stimulated until you bed in.
I have an Ozzie friend who came from Sydney, moved to London for 2 years, then moved back to Sydney.

Within a few months she was back in London, as she found Sydney "too quiet and boring".

London is one of the most exciting, vibrant, happening cities in the world. If I was in my twenties/early thirties again I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Now I'm married with kids, I want to live somewhere more rural for now. But the London I'm leaving behind is still just as exciting, vibrant and happening. It's just me that's changed.

Buzzy
Old Feb 4th 2007, 3:01 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I have an Ozzie friend who came from Sydney, moved to London for 2 years, then moved back to Sydney.

Within a few months she was back in London, as she found Sydney "too quiet and boring".

London is one of the most exciting, vibrant, happening cities in the world. If I was in my twenties/early thirties again I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Now I'm married with kids, I want to live somewhere more rural for now. But the London I'm leaving behind is still just as exciting, vibrant and happening. It's just me that's changed.

Buzzy
I like both cities, and have lived in Sydney and love Sydney - it is the only place in Australia that I would consider living until I retire, with outer Melbourne being a distant possibility. In fact when I do retire, much of Australia will probably be uninhabitable, which is very sad.

London is brilliant, but too full on for me with a little un.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 3:05 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Probably because someone living in a crap area can afford to move to a better area, one of the sole reasons make the move in the first place - make no mistake.
This is true, though sadly becoming ever less so as property in Australia becomes equally unaffordable. For those struggling in the UK, Australia certainly used to be one way to a better "standard of living" (I'll avoid "quality of life"; that is totally different). Nowadays, they might be better learning a second language and moving elsewhere in Europe. That is an option we are considering in the longer term. The language and cultural barriers are problems in our professions though.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 3:46 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus;4362231]
Originally Posted by Rachie241

Australia has less than half the population of the UK.
Ok strike two will shut up now...
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:23 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

4x4 pick up..
boat
water skiing
scuba diving
fishing
£20k in the bank

nice pad
200k mortgage
private school for the kids..

and two blonde big boobed wives to pamper for my every need..

oh and a brunett on wedensdays..
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:36 am
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aston man
4x4 pick up..
boat
water skiing
scuba diving
fishing
£20k in the bank

nice pad
200k mortgage

OI wake up Ast

where's the red head
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:56 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

4x4 pick up..
boat
water skiing
scuba diving
fishing
£20k in the bank

nice pad
200k mortgage

Lucky you
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:10 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassycat
OI wake up Ast

where's the red head

sass this is about dreams,not nightmares
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:50 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

4x4 pick up..
boat
water skiing
scuba diving
fishing
£20k in the bank

nice pad
200k mortgage

You in a tight rubber diving suit......grrrrrr!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:58 am
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

sass this is about dreams,not nightmares
OI - fuc/kin cheek - right thats it

Never been so hurt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.