Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Wikiposts

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Originally Posted by mr mover
Quickly watch, 3 episodes of "SHAMELESS", have a nice cup of tea and a lie down ,it will be gone in the morning .................. mm

I used to live near Gorton so Shameless is just like real life to me...
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:45 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by denver
Apart from some nice old buildings there is nothing that interesting about London. People do the same old stuff. Maybe if you are a left wing academic or a Russian tycoon or mover and shaker type investment banker London is interesting but once you have done all the cool touristy stuff, life here is just plain hard work.
I would never live there - great to visit as it is such an inherently interesting place. It just amazes me how people move from somewhere like Perth to somewhere like London. Bizzarre. I think you are in for some major reverse culture shock on your return. It will be interesting (not Perth obviously, your response). Take back plenty of crosswords, etc, to keep you stimulated until you bed in.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Feb 3rd 2007 at 7:51 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 7:48 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I have critisised Australia several times on this forum. There are things that could be improved in Australia and things that I do not like. However, on balance, I think it is great country. Just my opinion.

If you have evidence of widespread corruption and incompetence by politicians, please post here as I would be interested to read it. Maybe you don't because it might not be true? I am talking about Australia having an overall problem with these issues, not isolated incidents which all countries have.

I am not a university lecturer but I understand your point about english language competence. For many courses, the entrance requirement for english is only 50% which is too low in my opinion. I have also noticed that english teachers in the UK spend a lot of time on grammar and the like. In Australia, this is presumed to be done in primary school. In England, there is also a lot of emphasis on Shakespeare which kids so not seem to like. The English language is very different now so I do not see the point in forcing year 9's to read The Tempest. Kids are spoon fed in the UK - they will often do nothing all lesson unless you write the essay for them. They have very few assignments to hand in. When I taught english to year 11 and 12 students in Australia they had many assignments, one after the other, with strict due dates - in the UK, the dates are very general and I have often heard teachers telling students to hand their work in so the teacher can correct it so it can be re-done! This is cheating in my book. Many students think this is your job as a teacher to tell them what to write and spell it out for them, rather than think for themselves. Mind you, this is in comprehensives, might be very different in private schools.

You say that Asian students have a better work ethic than australian students - same thing is happening in the UK. British and Australian students can be lazy because they have been born into a well to do society where they are spoilt. Asian students are pushed by their parents, their parents have immigrated to Australia and want their children to achieve etc.
And English is fundamental to most subjects, hence the problem with Austrlalian school leavers. On average, a 17-18 y/o Aus student had the English ability of a 14-15 y/o British student.

In how many schools have you taught btw? I have received students from hundreds of schools in both countries and doubtless have a better comparison on an outcome basis.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Feb 3rd 2007 at 8:14 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:06 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I live it. I earn well above the average salary, in an 'easy' job, I try to keep it a secret (!) - have a beautiful wife, 1 beautiful daughter and another on the way. I have my health and fitness, I'm getting fitter!, and Chief has hers.

We own a little house on 1 acre, 2 oldish cars, pool and deck , in a community, with village amenities - pub, vineyards, shops, miles of unspoilt walks with vibrant, bright, focused and interesting people. We are 50mins from the city and all that brings us - it creates opportunities for work and cultural (ie my wife's dancing and teaching) activities. We're not far from nature in the Dandenongs which are great in summer, nice in winter.

I'm a part-time firefighter with options to go fulltime, and have sport, arts, culture, and fun, interesting mates on tap. There is never a dull moment.

cheers

B
Hoorraaayyy for you!! I was starting to think I wasn't going to bother coming after some of the comments I have read!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:12 pm
hand me a stubby

silver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nice
Talking Re: What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

not there yet, but i am moving to oz to get better weather and style of life.

i hope to work in the mines of WA and should get a good wage the wife is a nurse and should get a good wage as well.
my son is 3 and will have a better style of life more outdoors .
i have lived in manchester till i was 10, then rural cheshire till i was 27 then birmingham for the last 7 years.

i don't care if it is same sh*t shiner bucket, i will take the shiny bucket.

gareth
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:17 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from some nice old buildings there is nothing that interesting about London. People do the same old stuff. Maybe if you are a left wing academic or a Russian tycoon or mover and shaker type investment banker London is interesting but once you have done all the cool touristy stuff, life here is just plain hard work.
I would really be interested to know which part of London you are living and working in Denver.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:42 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have evidence of widespread corruption and incompetence by politicians, please post here as I would be interested to read it. Maybe you don't because it might not be true?
What's the point of him posting that? You've claimed yet again here that Aus has a "low crime rate", but you've had evidence presented to you on here Christ knows how many times that that is simply not true - rapes, violent assaults etc - worse in Aus than the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:50 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
What's the point of him posting that? You've claimed yet again here that Aus has a "low crime rate", but you've had evidence presented to you on here Christ knows how many times that that is simply not true - rapes, violent assaults etc - worse in Aus than the UK.
I would expect it to be worse in some areas same as everywhere but oz is a huge place compared to UK so crime statistics will be higher surely?
As for corruption? this happens in every government unfortunately so does incompetence...they are only human after all and with alot of money and power of course i know nothing just my opinion
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Rachie241;4362187]I would expect it to be worse in some areas same as everywhere but oz is a huge place compared to UK so crime statistics will be higher surely?
QUOTE]

Why would the size of the country make a difference?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:53 pm
Here at last!

Originally Posted by Rachie241
I would expect it to be worse in some areas same as everywhere but oz is a huge place compared to UK so crime statistics will be higher surely?
As for corruption? this happens in every government unfortunately so does incompetence...they are only human after all and with alot of money and power of course i know nothing just my opinion
My mother in laws brothers neighbour was shot dead a few weeks ago by police, he had apparently stolen a car and gone hooning around in it...police followed him back to his house where on a confrontation the man stabbed a police officer, one of his colleagues then shot the man dead!
The man had mental health problems and had stopped taking his medication prior to the event....obviously they dont have enough support in the community same as UK left to get on with it!! What a waste of a life, not defending the mans actions he shouldnt have stabbed a police officer, but was there a need to shoot to kill?? Difficult one to judge I guess if the police had just picked up on the man they wouldnt necessarily know his health problems....and they probably reacted lightening speed as their colloeague was in danger....
But its a sad story but not one true to oz alone it happens everywhere...its just the society we live in. Its not right but we have to deal with it no matter where we are even if we are in the most harmless, cute and cuddly environment...

Last edited by OzzieNurse; Feb 3rd 2007 at 8:56 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:59 pm
Here at last!

On a lighter note? Please tell me 'the wiggles' isn't the best programme for kids over there? Or does it get much worse? I am already mentally scarred from c beebies here in UK...the only oz kids tv I have seen has made me seriously think about taking up alcohol in the day!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:03 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/politics.htm

I found some of this rather interesting and amusing reading.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:11 pm
Here at last!

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus;4362190]
Originally Posted by Rachie241
QUOTE]

I meant population not size of country.... as I said I know nothing, just what I am perceiving....
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think he meant huge variation - polarisation even. My observation is that Australia can be very polarised - with exceptions, the difference between inner city/established burbs and country is HUGE.

Edit - well he didn't....however my point still stands.(!)
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:15 pm
Here at last!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think he meant huge variation - polarisation even. My observation is that Australia can be very polarised - with exceptions, the difference between inner city/established burbs and country is HUGE.

Edit - well he didn't....however my point still stands.(!)
Ok point taken
I just meant from my point of view I am prepared for it. I dont have any high expectations and that Oz is any better or worse to be than anywhere else. I can see it depends on where you live as to the crime rate..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.