Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Wikiposts

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Certainly getting shot at in a pub 'cos you happened to be sat next to the wrong bloke, as has happened to me, would liven up your average Friday night out. !!
Hey, that's a tuesday night out in Bradford

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Tried to send K, but have to spread it around first. Think I'll give some to thecreature for his lovely post in your very sad thread. I'm sitting here feeling very guilty for moaning about my life and typing through tears for what that poor woman is going through.

I've tried to call you but you didn't answer. I'm planning a 'lunch' date this week, let me know when you're off and we'll arrange it for that day
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hey, that's a tuesday night out in Bradford
'Best' thing that ever happened to Manchester was the massive IRA bomb..

Just look at some of the stuff that's gone up since
Attached Thumbnails What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????-132beethamtowermanchester_pic2.jpg   What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????-urbis-3502q-txt.jpg   What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????-lowry_1200e_thmb.jpg  
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:29 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
'Best' thing that ever happened to Manchester was the massive IRA bomb..

Just look at some of the stuff that's gone up since
Stop it, you're making me homesick
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:44 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If the Australian dream is to be in an unhappy marriage, working too many hours per week to support an unemployed spouse, living in a rented house with no friends or family around, then yes we are living the dream.
Oh Dorothy

(big hug)
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:58 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sloake
I think everyone has different dreams. Personally I came to Brisbane for the more laid back lifestyle, the weather and to be with my partner.

Have all those things, so personally I am living my Australian dream, but as I said everyones dream will be different,
thanks, i can now throw away my keyboard
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oh yeah...big house, pool, beach down the road, HUGE barbi with 6 burners, loads of beer in the fridge, plenty of social nights to get pi**ed

Oh silly me.....that's the old mans dream I'm living in!
you have 6 burners, you lucky buggar
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
you have 6 burners, you lucky buggar
She has a BBQ, lucky b*gger. I tried to buy one recently but got told it was an unnecessary extravagance......by an Aussie

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 3rd 2007 at 1:51 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
She has a BBQ, lucky b*gger. I tried to buy one recently but got told it was an unnecessary extravagance......by an Aussie
bbq envy, not a good thing Pol.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:58 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a myth
Its a realality.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Its a realality.
not for everyone
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:54 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by m100
?
The Australian Dream, yes I have lived it and will be again very shortly!

To me, it is:

Having space (not an overcrowded place)
Welfare/safety net if you genuinely fall on hard times: not encouraged as a way of life
being paid sufficiently for effort/qualification
being free to speak as I wish
being part of the political process
Egalitarian society
being able to call a spade a spade
Having happy and friendly compatriots
Having decent and competent politicians (compared to most countries)
easy access to higher education
Low corruption
Low crime rate
Kids are kids for longer
Wide variety of hobbies/activities to choose from
Cheap and effecient public transport
The beautiful weather and beaches
An orderly immigration program
Great food and wine, and a wide variety of cuisines to choose from
Children/students better behaved (I am a teacher)
Aussie Rules football

And yes, I have bought a house on 686sqm.

I truly believe the world is your oyster in Australia.

Last edited by denver; Feb 3rd 2007 at 3:03 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:09 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by denver
The Australian Dream, yes I have lived it and will be again very shortly!

To me, it is:

Having space (not an overcrowded place)
Welfare/safety net if you genuinely fall on hard times: not encouraged as a way of life
being paid sufficiently for effort/qualification
being free to speak as I wish
being part of the political process
Egalitarian society
being able to call a spade a spade
Having happy and friendly compatriots
Having decent and competent politicians (compared to most countries)
easy access to higher education
Low corruption
Low crime rate
Kids are kids for longer
Wide variety of hobbies/activities to choose from
Cheap and effecient public transport
The beautiful weather and beaches
An orderly immigration program
Great food and wine, and a wide variety of cuisines to choose from
Children/students better behaved (I am a teacher)

And yes, I have bought a house on 686sqm.

I can agree with some of these, and many of them apply to most Western countries but definitely not:
Having space (not an overcrowded place) - not in Sydney, or many parts of the other few cities which house nearly half the population
Having decent and competent politicians (compared to most countries) - you are kidding?
easy access to higher education - easy yes - a monkey could get in. Affordable? Ahem... Good quality? (I used to be a lecturer at one of Aus's "top" Unis)
Low corruption - what, as in the police?

In a previous posts you stated that Perth was boring, so what has changed?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:12 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by m100
?
In the 1950s-1980s, it was something different. Now, it is mainly about the weather. Sadly in the long term, that is not going to be an advantage for Australia. Australia is now certainly no longer a land of opportunities. Those new world days are over.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver

But everyone's oyster is different - some don't contain pearls
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:31 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I can agree with some of these, and many of them apply to most Western countries but definitely not:
Having space (not an overcrowded place) - not in Sydney, or many parts of the other few cities which house nearly half the population
Having decent and competent politicians (compared to most countries) - you are kidding?
easy access to higher education - easy yes - a monkey could get in. Affordable? Ahem... Good quality? (I used to be a lecturer at one of Aus's "top" Unis)
Low corruption - what, as in the police?

In a previous posts you stated that Perth was boring, so what has changed?
Yes I THOUGHT Perth was boring, I wasn't bored per se, I just thought there was more "excitement" out there, and so I moved to London to do the two year work thing. Now, I realise that I was wrong and that I am a Perth girl through and through - do not like the Rat Race, crowds of people (shopped in Covent Garden last weekend - what a nightmare!) or gloomy weather. Nor do I like living in a shoe box and paying 1/4 of my after tax income for the privilege. That's not to say that there isn't things I like about the UK.

I do not think Australia is a corrupt country, that's not to say that there is NO corruption, it is low. I know some policeman in Oz and they are very hard working and honest - they would not turn a blind eye to corruption. The fact that some police are exposed as corrupt means that it is not tolerated or a blind eye shown. You should try living in Indonesia where corruption is common practice (best friend lives there)

Australia is a well managed country and is a prosperous and highly developed one. FACT. The economy is robust and our healthcare system is good. This does not happen without being managed by competent politicians.

Your comment about Sydney has some merit - I went there in 2000 and found it to be busy and bustling, some people like that. On the other side of the coin this means that housing and land is expensive, and there are crowds. I prefer Perth - but if you move to Australia, you do not have to move to Sydney.

I have never had any friends or family say to me that "Australia is going to the dogs" or "get me out of here." Unfortunately, this happens a lot in the UK. I do not gloat about this, just something I have noticed.

I find it insulting when you say that "monkeys could get in" to tertiary education. As a high school teacher, only the top 30 per cent can get into uni courses and it is very diffilcult to get into medicine, law etc. believe me, after teaching over here (and seeing the sub standard work produced in the GSCE's and how many teachers actually do the work for the kids) I believe the schooling system in Oz is actually quite rigorous. The fact that so many professionally qualified Australians work overseas in the UK and elsewhere and do so successfully is testamount to my point. If our uni's were substandard (and I am sure there are a few that are pretty crap - maybe you worked at one of them?) I do not believe that overseas employers would be prepared to take them on.

Australia cannot be all things to all people, but I think I am pretty lucky to come from such a place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.