Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Wikiposts

What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:35 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is "the Australian dream" and are you living it????

Originally Posted by thebears
Like having to watch Essendon
You got a death wish?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:39 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

I only know of a couple of Aussies so far and their lives consist of working long hours, spending a couple of hours a week doing sport and drinking copious amounts of alcohol. Nothing dreamy about that at all.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
I'm pretty sure I am living the Aussies idea of the Australian dream, at least that's what they keep telling me. Personally for me it's a nightmare, Give me back purpose to my life in the rat race, with goals and ambitions anyday. I'm pretty sure now what I'm going to do and it's back to some kind of less brain dead normality for me as soon as possible.
Me too.. big house.. beach at the end of the street, and yet there is just something missing... at times I struggle to know what it is that's not right.

I sit in my garden and see the parrots in the trees and listen to the surf rolling in and think this is paradise.. then I do the same the next day, and the next, and the next... and that's when it hits home. Some British cities are bloody hard work to live in, but at least there is life there....

I can think of nowhere better to retire to than where I live now.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
You got a death wish?
The voodoo doll is here when you're ready Bordy
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah...big house, pool, beach down the road, HUGE barbi with 6 burners, loads of beer in the fridge, plenty of social nights to get pi**ed

Oh silly me.....that's the old mans dream I'm living in!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I'm pretty sure I am living the Aussies idea of the Australian dream, at least that's what they keep telling me. Personally for me it's a nightmare, Give me back purpose to my life in the rat race, with goals and ambitions anyday. I'm pretty sure now what I'm going to do and it's back to some kind of less brain dead normality for me as soon as possible.
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Me too.. big house.. beach at the end of the street, and yet there is just something missing... at times I struggle to know what it is that's not right.

I sit in my garden and see the parrots in the trees and listen to the surf rolling in and think this is paradise.. then I do the same the next day, and the next, and the next... and that's when it hits home. Some British cities are bloody hard work to live in, but at least there is life there....

I can think of nowhere better to retire to than where I live now.
Without trying to sound nasty, cos I'm really not

Maybe that's the trouble with you both, I have a really small house and the best I can hope for is something in a quiet neighbourhood with about 700 square meters of land. Nothing flash, but not in the middle of a crappy estate either.

The best we could have in the Uk was a crappy house in a crappy estate so we are better off here. Maybe it's because you CAN afford the better places in the UK that you don't appreciate what you can achieve here when you are further down the food chain so to speak.

Like I say that's not a dig at you, but maybe an insight into things for people wanting to come here.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:58 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m100
?
In Victoria, all Australian's seem to dream about is rain ending this 10-year drought. I, however, haven't had any wet dreams since being here.....
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:00 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
In Victoria, all Australian's seem to dream about is rain ending this 10-year drought. I, however, haven't had any wet dreams since being here.....
Naughty boy!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:05 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm not sure I can top the previos "up beat" and postive posts

Are we living the dream? Yeah I guess we are. I've exited the rat race and no longer work 9 (more like 6am)- 5 (more like 10pm). Retrained in a job that I want to do and work the hours that suit. The weathers great, the pools refreshing and we've made heaps of friends.

Built a nice house, have a couple of decent cars, even a horse (although I prefer the term money pit on legs but dont tell the wife).

Bascially I've swapped reasonable money with no real life for the lifestyle and a lot less money. Happier ? You bet ya.

To my mind, thats the point - seizing the opportunity of migration to get your life moving in a direction that you want to.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Without trying to sound nasty, cos I'm really not

Maybe that's the trouble with you both, I have a really small house and the best I can hope for is something in a quiet neighbourhood with about 700 square meters of land. Nothing flash, but not in the middle of a crappy estate either.

The best we could have in the Uk was a crappy house in a crappy estate so we are better off here. Maybe it's because you CAN afford the better places in the UK that you don't appreciate what you can achieve here when you are further down the food chain so to speak.

Like I say that's not a dig at you, but maybe an insight into things for people wanting to come here.
I can absolutely see where you are coming from.. but I was born and raised in Beswick in Manchester, and as much as Bradford may be tough, Beswick is ten times as bad.. its in the top 10 deprived areas in Britain... it has massive drug problems, unemployment problems, housing problems.. in fact every problem you can think of. I got lucky and got out.. but its still a major part of who I am...

As much as people see me as one of the negative posters about Australia I really don't see it that way myself.. all I have ever said is I have found it dull, personally. I can see why many people find it an exceptional place to live, but its not for me.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I can absolutely see where you are coming from.. but I was born and raised in Beswick in Manchester, and as much as Bradford may be tough, Beswick is ten times as bad.. its in the top 10 deprived areas in Britain... it has massive drug problems, unemployment problems, housing problems.. in fact every problem you can think of. I got lucky and got out.. but its still a major part of who I am...

As much as people see me as one of the negative posters about Australia I really don't see it that way myself.. all I have ever said is I have found it dull, personally. I can see why many people find it an exceptional place to live, but its not for me.

I can see that for some it may be boring, but then where I lived was INCREDIBLEY boring and expensive NOT to be bored too

Manchester, although not what I personally like, is a lot more interesting than stinky old Bradford. The best thing in Bradford is the Photography museum which is OK the first time but it never changes
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

I can see that for some it may be boring, but then where I lived was INCREDIBLEY boring and expensive NOT to be bored too

Manchester, although not what I personally like, is a lot more interesting than stinky old Bradford. The best thing in Bradford is the Photography museum which is OK the first time but it never changes
Certainly getting shot at in a pub 'cos you happened to be sat next to the wrong bloke, as has happened to me, would liven up your average Friday night out. !!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Certainly getting shot at in a pub 'cos you happened to be sat next to the wrong bloke, as has happened to me, would liven up your average Friday night out. !!
Eh, can I come out with you? I could do with a bit of excitement on a Friday!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Eh, can I come out with you? I could do with a bit of excitement on a Friday!!!
Once I get back to the UK its a deal... just remember, when I say 'DUCK!!'
I'm not suggesting what to eat from the Chinese chippy.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, you need some fun. Give me a call this week and we'll arrange something.
Tried to send K, but have to spread it around first. Think I'll give some to thecreature for his lovely post in your very sad thread. I'm sitting here feeling very guilty for moaning about my life and typing through tears for what that poor woman is going through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.