Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What "Aussie" things wind you up but makes you smile.....

What "Aussie" things wind you up but makes you smile.....

Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What "Aussie" things wind you up but makes you smile.....

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The way my very straight mate at work says she's spending the night with her "girlfriend"
That's an Americanism, in my books which leads me on to my quibbles: Aussies acting like Americans. I otherwise don't mind the word girlfriend - you could argue that girlfriend has been appropriated for use as a partner.

I find a cheery disposition in Target etc gets you off the hook, even a nod.

If you hate it, they'll pick up on the tension and you'll get searched.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's an Americanism, in my books which leads me on to my quibbles: Aussies acting like Americans. I otherwise don't mind the word girlfriend - you could argue that girlfriend has been appropriated for use as a partner.

I find a cheery disposition in Target etc gets you off the hook, even a nod.

If you hate it, they'll pick up on the tension and you'll get searched.
I'm not talking about Target, I'm talking about Coles, BiLo, Aldi etc. Food shopping. I buy my clothes back home.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not talking about Target, I'm talking about Coles, BiLo, Aldi etc. Food shopping. I buy my clothes back home.
Hmmmm....you're not so paranoid that you skirt through, head down etc...you might be clutching your bag in a defensive way - which could signal the opposite effect..

I suspect you draw attention to yourself.

Food shops don't do it here.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Makes me laugh when you get to the checkout in a small shop and the checkout person says, " is this all ? or is this it ?," I do feel like saying, "no, I have $300 worth of stuff stuffed in my knickers but only want to pay for this", but obviously being a sensible middle aged woman I don't..... makes me smile to myself though...one day I might just say it...
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The incredibly overuse of terms such as UnAustralian, Aussie Icon, Aussie Battler, World class.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The incredibly overuse of terms such as UnAustralian, Aussie Icon, Aussie Battler, World class.
More so on this forum I've found.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hmmmm....you're not so paranoid that you skirt through, head down etc...you might be clutching your bag in a defensive way - which could signal the opposite effect..

I suspect you draw attention to yourself.

Food shops don't do it here.
Difficult to clutch a rucksack in a defensive way when its on my back.......and if you remember me at all you will know the last thing I like doing is drawing attention to myself in public.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:51 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The way some Aussies blurt out 'no worries' seemingly randomly - it's kinda cute - in a brain injury type way

Some of the ads on tv can be sort of endearing - Merle's 'Tough Muff' Mufflers of Darwin advertised on a PowerPoint slide held to the camera.

Occasionally the names tickle me 'my name's Tront. I'll be your waiter this evening' - coupled with the glamming up of shit jobs. Eg, glass collector - hospitality worker.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

The way that anything 'european' is viewed as being slightly suspicious and even possibly 'limp wristed'.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:48 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by odyssey
The adverts on tv - especially the Lowes one and Joyce Mayne ones.
Not even close to the POLYMATE... MATE! ads. They make me want to burn everyone of those plastic trailers when I see them. Which wouldn't be hard, just need to hold a lighter under one corner for a minute or two.

Last edited by furbacchione; Oct 26th 2011 at 7:00 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:53 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Some of the ads on tv can be sort of endearing - Merle's 'Tough Muff' Mufflers of Darwin advertised on a PowerPoint slide held to the camera.
Ya can't go wrong with the "Lots of rabbits in choyna" ad or the "Charter boat what charter boat" ad.

There's a timber supplier that has the jingle "Ironbark timbers, we give good wood..." Not sure I'd want to work for a place that makes you wear a t-shirt with that on it. Or the scaffolding company that has uniforms with "let us help you with your erection"

Last edited by furbacchione; Oct 26th 2011 at 7:02 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Difficult to clutch a rucksack in a defensive way when its on my back.......and if you remember me at all you will know the last thing I like doing is drawing attention to myself in public.

But that's just it...! If you are skirting through a shop with a rucksack on your back, trying not to be noticed....

I confess to using rucksacks, and they can draw attention because they are not a bag, or a carrier, or a satchel..hmm 'what's in there'..you often get asked..
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The way some Aussies blurt out 'no worries' seemingly randomly - it's kinda cute - in a brain injury type way

Occasionally the names tickle me 'my name's Tront. I'll be your waiter this evening' - coupled with the glamming up of shit jobs. Eg, glass collector - hospitality worker.
I need to get back to the country to see these things.

The thing is, my country experience is only related to farming, and not TV, restaurants, businesses etc. I am not very Top-End or Far N QLd worldly in the sense you are.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
More so on this forum I've found.
I agree.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Juan Kussoff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I just wanted to add my 2 bobs worth.
When the Ozzies say Too easy, I hear tweezy
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:40 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juan Kussoff
Hello everyone, I just wanted to add my 2 bobs worth.
When the Ozzies say Too easy, I hear tweezy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.