Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What am I not getting about Australia?

What am I not getting about Australia?

Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:49 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Smile What am I not getting about Australia?

It's not a bad place, but it's not some sort of utopia, nowhere is.

Some things are said frequently on this forum that are never explained fully, and I mean this sincerely, please can someone tell me what these things mean exactly to them.

A better life for our children/A life we couldn't dream of giving them in the UK

A better quality of life

More opportunties in Australia

I mean, is it down to the weather? Is that what it is?

It's just that I'm always acutely aware that people read these forums who will be considering a move and might actually want to know how they cannot get these things in the UK.

It would also satisfy my curiousity, as I'm never fully aware how certain things can happen for people in Australia that they state couldn't have been possible in the UK.

Until someone qualifies these kinds of statements to me they will always be glib.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:01 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What am I not getting about Australia?

Originally Posted by mackinnon

Some things are said frequently on this forum that are never explained fully, and I mean this sincerely, please can someone tell me what these things mean exactly to them.

A better life for our children/A life we couldn't dream of giving them in the UK

A better quality of life

It's just that I'm always acutely aware that people read these forums who will be considering a move and might actually want to know how they cannot get these things in the UK.

It would also satisfy my curiousity, as I'm never fully aware how certain things can happen for people in Australia that they state couldn't have been possible in the UK.

Until someone qualifies these kinds of statements to me they will always be glib.
no kids so cant comment on that. re the better quality of life, for us its about being able to live comfortably and live the kind of life we want now instead of at retirement age.

its about seeing new places, there's a whole new world on your doorstep.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I never came for any of those reasons, but here's my take on it anyway.

A better life for our children/A life we couldn't dream of giving them in the UK - I think moving all this way makes you accutely aware of how important family is and because usually it's just you and your kids here, you tend to spend more quality time together.

You get stuck in a rut of everyday life anywhere and tend to take things for granted. Moving all this way certainly opens your eyes to that and you try not to get into that rut again.

A better quality of life - Same as above really.

More opportunties in Australia - For us there are more here than where we came from. Not saying we couldn't have got them anywhere in the UK though, but we couldn't have afforded to live anywhere else we wanted to there and we did try a few times to move.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:05 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

A better quality of life

I don't get it either
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

A better quality of life

I think it is down to opinions, I come from a place where to live in a 4 bed bungalow with a pool is not going to happen, the closest beach was a bit run down, children coming home from school having these options doesn't happen.

Litter is the perfect example I always speak about, I can remember back to when bins would overflow on bank holidays and not be emptied, empty chip wrappers lying around, there is litter I know, but it is not in the same league as where I came from.

I.E quality of life is not measured in a monetary value.

As you will know to state something in a 'glib' manner means it is said without honesty or careful consideration:

I believe I say it in both of these ways, and I think a lot of people on this forum do as well.

Hope this clarifies my situation.

Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

A better quality of life

The weather does help i suppose, but the media or the hype doesn't help!
We all have to find our own needs wherever we go, it takes time, in my case it will take along time..so how long do you wait?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:25 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=mackinnon]
More freedom I think. Our kids go out to play and I don't worry about them so much. Relaxed schooling, not so much pressure to produce STAT results at a very early age. A pool to play in out the back. Weather that allows the freedom to play.

A better quality of life
Certainly not more family time. We still have to work etc. But I think it's because you end up with the bigger house and I suppose that gives most people a sense of achievement, you've got something to show for the hard work. Weather (again) to get out and about to enjoy the time you do have together as a family. A cleaner, nicer more laid back environment to live in.

I don't get this one either Certainly not employment opportunities. People very often take a backwards step in careers when they come here. So, I'm puzzled?
QUOTE]

Last edited by TraceyW; Oct 13th 2006 at 9:28 am.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Hey...it's all in red!! I wasn't shouting honest!! I just can't get the darn thing to change back to black now!!

Computer numbskull me!!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
More freedom I think. Our kids go out to play and I don't worry about them so much. Relaxed schooling, not so much pressure to produce STAT results at a very early age. A pool to play in out the back. Weather that allows the freedom to play.

A better quality of life
Certainly not more family time. We still have to work etc. But I think it's because you end up with the bigger house and I suppose that gives most people a sense of achievement, you've got something to show for the hard work. Weather (again) to get out and about to enjoy the time you do have together as a family. A cleaner, nicer more laid back environment to live in.

I don't get this one either Certainly not employment opportunities. People very often take a backwards step in careers when they come here. So, I'm puzzled?

QUOTE]

We are happy with a smallish house and more family time. A big house doesn't make your kids happy, but spending time with parents will. Yes we still have to work, but we will be able to afford for me not to work.

There are plenty more trades jobs out here. Also in the UK, tradesmen are looked down on by employers because they are everywhere, here if you are a tradesman you can (within reason) name your own price.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
We are happy with a smallish house and more family time. A big house doesn't make your kids happy, but spending time with parents will. Yes we still have to work, but we will be able to afford for me not to work.

Hey, you're not having a dig at me are you? I didn't say a big house will make kids happy.

But I think most people will admit, that the houses over here are a hell of a lot bigger than the boxes in the UK.

Oh, and I used to be a full time stay at home Mum, but found myself going out of my mind...literally...so for mine and the kids sake I go to uni to try to better my prospects. Happy Mummy, happy family in this house.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, you're not having a dig at me are you? I didn't say a big house will make kids happy.

But I think most people will admit, that the houses over here are a hell of a lot bigger than the boxes in the UK.

Oh, and I used to be a full time stay at home Mum, but found myself going out of my mind...literally...so for mine and the kids sake I go to uni to try to better my prospects. Happy Mummy, happy family in this house.
Wendy won't be having a go..she is full of good advice
But i wish we had known that Tradies over here in OZ are not classed as Tradies until you have there certificates/licences etc..which take ages to get so you have to suffer for a long time waiting and getting poor pay else where even if you have over 20 years experience in UK doing the same thing
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No I'm not having a dig honey, chill Was just saying how it is for us that's all. Sorry if it sounded that way, it wasn't meant to.

Our rental is smaller than the house we had in the UK, but we had an old council house (you know the ones that you could swing a cat in ) but we are looking at moving further south as the houses there are bigger, with more garden. (colourbond legoland here )
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulrachel
But i wish we had known that Tradies over here in OZ are not classed as Tradies until you have there certificates/licences etc..which take ages to get so you have to suffer for a long time waiting and getting poor pay else where even if you have over 20 years experience in UK doing the same thing

I hope she wasn't ...I hate to think I've upset someone

Sorry to hear about the hassle your hubby is having. They're certificate crazy over here aren't they?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulrachel

Cheers

Yep tradesmen get the crap end of the stick that's for sure, but we did know about it so have no excuse It's something that has to be done, so we just get on with it.

It's nearly all over now anyway, thank god
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
No I'm not having a dig honey, chill Was just saying how it is for us that's all. Sorry if it sounded that way, it wasn't meant to.

))
Phew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.