Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What is it about Oz that shits you to tears?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What's the most annoying aspect of living in Australia
utility companies treating you like scum
26.09%
supermarkets running a monopoly
47.83%
Banks taking this piss with charges etc
43.48%
everything is so bloody expensive!
47.83%
crap TV
50.00%
real estate agents
17.39%
sausage sizzles
19.57%
thongs/slippers/bare feet instead of shoes OUTSIDE
19.57%
living amongst Australians...(joke!)
17.39%
isolation from the civilised world
30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

What is it about Oz that shits you to tears?

Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Oz that shits you to tears?

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
Well thought out response, but really pretty meaningless when you find yourself paying $200 plus for groceries for a family of 4. The prices are cripplingly expensive. Not just supermarket stuff either. Bottleshops, bakeries, and WTF is it with milk bars? Pie/coke/crisps last week (look it was Friday and I was too knackered to take lunch to work, ok?) cost nearly 9 bucks!!
You see at the moment it is the exchange rate that kills it. When I was working in London before I moved to Australia in 2005, I would easily spend 5 GBP on a lunch including a drink at the deli round the corner. Todays exchange rate makes that pretty cheap compared to your quote but at 2.5 when I arrived that makes your lunch sound pretty cheap. A lot of things have gone up and I agree that Australia is no longer the cheap place it used to be but not all things are equal and to suggest that Australia is across the board a lot more expensive than the UK is misleading IMO.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You see at the moment it is the exchange rate that kills it. When I was working in London before I moved to Australia in 2005, I would easily spend 5 GBP on a lunch including a drink at the deli round the corner. Todays exchange rate makes that pretty cheap compared to your quote but at 2.5 when I arrived that makes your lunch sound pretty cheap. A lot of things have gone up and I agree that Australia is no longer the cheap place it used to be but not all things are equal and to suggest that Australia is across the board a lot more expensive than the UK is misleading IMO.
Most Aussies would agree that groceries are getting more expensive. The comparison to other countries doesnt really matter to the ordinary Australian.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:35 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Most Aussies would agree that groceries are getting more expensive. The comparison to other countries doesnt really matter to the ordinary Australian.
They are for sure, when I arrived in 05 my bill was around $200. Guaranteed now I have a greedy teenage daughter to feed instead of the 8 year old I arrived with. Still last weeks shopping cost me $380! I don't buy anything different really and that is 2 adults (1 of whom has been lap-banded!) and a 13 and 8 year old.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:36 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Ordinary Australian? No such animal!

We are all either bronzed hunks or super shielas as a brief reccie around The Hyperdome will prove.

Aussies, best in the world, mate.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Ordinary Australian? No such animal!

We are all either bronzed hunks or super shielas as a brief reccie around The Hyperdome will prove.

Aussies, best in the world, mate.
Sorry. I meant "Mainstream Aussie".

Australia....f**k yeah!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Parking a car is cheaper. Butternut squash and pumpkin are cheaper but to be fair I'd rather eat cat shit. Rent is probably cheaper - at least in the 'smart' state I am located. Most things have a lot to do with the exchange rate - with sterling swinging like a swollen colostomy bag - but its always been spenny in Oz for pretty average food...

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jan 18th 2011 at 8:45 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

They are for sure, when I arrived in 05 my bill was around $200. Guaranteed now I have a greedy teenage daughter to feed instead of the 8 year old I arrived with. Still last weeks shopping cost me $380! I don't buy anything different really and that is 2 adults (1 of whom has been lap-banded!) and a 13 and 8 year old.
I cant complain as I buy the same things week in, week out and have a decent income but I feel that the elderly on their limited pensions are often the best indicators of what costs are going up or down.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:41 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. I meant "Mainstream Aussie".

Australia....f**k yeah!
Team Australia - Over Policed.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Team Australia - Over Policed.
Oh Lord

Last edited by Sue; Jan 19th 2011 at 12:05 am. Reason: Sorry, pic not appropriate for BE.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working in London before I moved to Australia in 2005, I would easily spend 5 GBP on a lunch including a drink at the deli round the corner.
And that same lunch in Manchester or anywhere else outside of London would be about 2.5 GBP.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:24 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Lord
Australia! - Putting the 'R' back into Redneck!

Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:25 pm
Mostly Harmless

Oh Lord
I'd forgotten that bit ...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Australia! - Putting the 'R' back into Redneck!

http://gpsinformation.net/exe/redneck-swimming-pool.jpg
If I was going to be pedantic I would point out that can't be Australian as it is left hand drive truck!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:31 pm

As a redneck vehicle its made of riveted together VB crates, a tarp and tins of economy dog food - the steering wheel is stuck on with hummus and utterly side interchangeable
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:53 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
As a redneck vehicle its made of riveted together VB crates, a tarp and tins of economy dog food - the steering wheel is stuck on with hummus and utterly side interchangeable
I can't be the only one admiring the pool ute can I?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.