Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wet season in Darwin, NT + walking to school

Wet season in Darwin, NT + walking to school

Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet season in Darwin, NT + walking to school

Originally Posted by rocket01
The umbrella will be good to stop the snakes and spiders that fall out of the trees when its windy
And the drop bears
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi all,

Unfortunately, we are going to be experiencing Darwin for the first time in the wet season : (. It can't be helped but I just wondered we will be living about 5-8 minutes walk from school and can anybody tell me if kids walk to school like they do here?

Getting a little worried it may be dangerous given the weather? or am I just being silly.

Thanks, hope you can help.
Of course there is a lot of rain which isn't accompanied by thunder, lightening and flying patio chairs. As kids we just had those big yellow raincoats but not sure what Darwin kids would do these days. Often rain is fairly predictable in the tropics.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And the drop bears
Need a really strong umbrella to deal with them
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

yvonnetaccagni is an unknown quantity at this point

Still no wiser as to how bad the rain is really.....but I'm sure some of you made yourselves (if no one else) smile when you posted your comments.

Enjoy
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by yvonnetaccagni
Hello!!!

I am faced with the same questions....

My husband starts a job in Darwin at the end of january and I also do not plan to take my car. It's hard to imagine how this wet season will be....some reports say not that bad, others make it sound terrible!!!We are looking to rent in the centre of darwin a couple of blocks from school....but as the people answering you say...it could seem like miles in the rain!!

I suppose if it was that bad we could get a taxi???? My children are 5 and three so hardly able to hold their own in big winds....
Hi, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Do you know where you will be living? and what school your 5 year old will be attending? Reports I have had is that the weather is mostly humid so will take us some getting used to. Originally from South Africa myself it won't be that bad but the kids born and bred in the UK may struggle a little. Do you mind if I ask what sort sort of work your husband does? Mine is involved within IT and we are having a look at seek a couple of times a week.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

My husband is in Managerial Construction. We were going to city centre Darwin. He turned the job down today, reservations about climate, nature and other things. Construction is booming I believe.

It's Uk bound for us.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see why you guys up north say the weather is crap in Melly
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

My husband is in Managerial Construction. We were going to city centre Darwin. He turned the job down today, reservations about climate, nature and other things. Construction is booming I believe.

It's Uk bound for us.
Oh, what a shame. You can always try another part I suppose. Good Luck with whatever you decide. x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

It's Uk bound for us.
You turned down going to Darwin, in part, because of the climate? I don't understand this. Yes, there is a wet season, yes that means it rains, and yes it CAN rain ALOT. People still live there though, you adjust for the season ie. buy an umbrella, a raincoat etc.

And guaranteed when its the dry season you won't see a spec of rain.

Its the tropics!!!

As for nature, I'm not sure I'm understanding this part either.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paularn
You turned down going to Darwin, in part, because of the climate? I don't understand this.
Really? What's so difficult to understand?

The climate guide here lists discomfort from heat & humidity as high for 8 months of the year and extreme for 1. Clearly it's not going to suit everyone even though the dry season is suberb.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Really? What's so difficult to understand?

The climate guide here lists discomfort from heat & humidity as high for 8 months of the year and extreme for 1. Clearly it's not going to suit everyone even though the dry season is suberb.
To each's own. I lived there for 2.5yrs and I didn't find the humidity that bad or lasting for 8 months of the year. Bad during build up, sure. Rain during wet, sure. Dry season = perfect!

This poster - from the 2 posts she made were about the rain and having to walk in it...nothing about heat and humidity.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

I was simply explaining to the lady who posted the question why we had decided not to take the job in Darwin.And main factors being heat and humidity.

The other nice guy was replying to you saying you did not understand my reason of heat and humidity. Have you ever been to the UK???? do you know how cold and dreary it can be??? If we are lucky we get 4 weeks of "DARWIN LIKE" weather. Just because you have air con and swimming pools it doesnt make the heat and humidity any easier to live with when you are not used to it.

So indeeed if you read back...that is why heat and humidity is mentioned.

And by "Nature" I meant....spiders,snakes and crocodiles. I suppose you think I am silly to worry about these too. But in the UK we have NO dangerous spiders. A couple of mildy venomous snakes and nothing that even resemples a crocodile!!! So having a 3 and 5 year old i was a little worried. Thats all.

Thanks to you all for the advise. We are now looking at other areas of Australia, maybe not quite so hot!!! or atleast not hot all year.

Good luck EverydaySunshine hope it works out and you have a great new life out there.xx