Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Welding & engineering in general

Welding & engineering in general

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:04 am
Just Joined

the jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the rough
Default Welding & engineering in general

Hi guys and gals , I was wondering what the engineering industry is like in oz at the moment as i hope to be out there on my 176 in January to (WA).There seems to be plenty of jobs for welders (advertised anyway) . Are there any members who work in the industry who could let me know what the situation is really like! Also do you think i will pick up work soon after arriving? I have approx 20 years experience working on petro-chem, oil & gas, rigyards and fabshops using many processes on different materials. I know getting our visa was exciting but i just have a fear of struggling to get a job as i have not worked for an Australian company before. Anyway if someone knows the outlook for the industry for the next wee while please let me know . All the best the jackel.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welding & engineering in general

Originally Posted by the jackel
Hi guys and gals , I was wondering what the engineering industry is like in oz at the moment as i hope to be out there on my 176 in January to (WA).There seems to be plenty of jobs for welders (advertised anyway) . Are there any members who work in the industry who could let me know what the situation is really like! Also do you think i will pick up work soon after arriving? I have approx 20 years experience working on petro-chem, oil & gas, rigyards and fabshops using many processes on different materials. I know getting our visa was exciting but i just have a fear of struggling to get a job as i have not worked for an Australian company before. Anyway if someone knows the outlook for the industry for the next wee while please let me know . All the best the jackel.
Hi, not sure what its like over in WA but here in queensland its definately slowed down over the course of the last year. I'm a toolmaker by trade and there's no toolmaking work about at all really. But i have been working as a fitter for a few years now and have had a couple of jobs since i've been here, my latest one made me redundant last week. Currently unemployed.
There always seems to be plenty of job opportunities for boiler makers though, good welders are hard to come by.
The company i was working for was always getting guys in and giving them a welding test. 9 times out of ten they'd send them on their way as the welds needed to be spot on.
Not sure if its standard practice or not but they always had the welds x-rayed and NDT'd.
The company i worked for is actually based in WA so it may be worth keeping them in mind if you end up anywhere near them. ( RCR Stelform )

I spoke with an employment agency worker a few weeks back now and i asked her what the general feeling in the industry was regarding work and she told me there was a lot of design work going on, meaning whatever they were designing would eventually have to be manufactured.

That my friend is where i hope the likes of me n you come in.

Best of luck

Jazzys
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the jackel
Go for it mate because theres a boom on its way and Perth looks like the place to be. I;m in North Queensland and we're expecting it from Jan onwards. A fellow welder but boilermaking pays better so thats what I am. Good luck mate. You'll be fine.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

the jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the roughthe jackel is a jewel in the rough

Cheers Jazzy hope you get fixed up soon with a start mate , it could be worse I had frost on the back of my storm jacket while i was welding on the nightshift 2 nights ago (-6) inside fabshop,the joys of Scotland. The job itself was actually heading out to Oz believe it or not . Jazzy i will send RCR a cv before heading out .Framac67 sounds as if i should be ok in Perth well hope so anyway , just canny wait , p.s i bet you wish your avator was playing tonight against hapoel lol , anyway good luck tonight , the jackel