Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Australia.........

Welcome to Australia.........

Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:34 am
Curse you aqua scum

PaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant future
Unhappy Welcome to Australia.........

We've been here since Oct last year, we've got UK/Irish and Australian friends and are doing our best to fit in. OH is struggling because of plumbing licensing and is developing a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Our daughter has just restarted her swimming, and is trying to adapt to the differences here - she swam at club level in UK and has just got into a state final of a school event here. When this email arrived from Swimmming SA (the South Australian swimming association)

"Dear Susan,

It has become apparent that a large number of members are 'apparently' not Australian citizens. Could you please take the time to log on to swim online and check your personal information. We don't want to see you miss out on opportunities which are only available to Australian citizens

Regards,

Swimming SA team"

Is it just me or is this blatant discrimination?? I guess it's the 'apparently' that made me notice and take offence.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or am I being over sensitive.

Mrs PHH
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to Australia.........

Originally Posted by PaddyHaHa
We've been here since Oct last year, we've got UK/Irish and Australian friends and are doing our best to fit in. OH is struggling because of plumbing licensing and is developing a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Our daughter has just restarted her swimming, and is trying to adapt to the differences here - she swam at club level in UK and has just got into a state final of a school event here. When this email arrived from Swimmming SA (the South Australian swimming association)

"Dear Susan,

It has become apparent that a large number of members are 'apparently' not Australian citizens. Could you please take the time to log on to swim online and check your personal information. We don't want to see you miss out on opportunities which are only available to Australian citizens

Regards,

Swimming SA team"

Is it just me or is this blatant discrimination?? I guess it's the 'apparently' that made me notice and take offence.

Mrs PHH

I'd ask them what they mean by that? My friends daughter has been going swimming here since they arrived and I am sure she would have mentioned it if they had said something like that to her!

Only thing I can think of is if she's really good and they think she may be potentially competition material - there may be restrictions on what competitions she could enter or what sort of funding they could get? Although my friend isn't a citizen and her daughter swims in competitions all over the state.

I'd definitely ask, and if they are being discriminatory then move her clubs to one more friendly.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like they're just making sure that Australian citizens are marked as being such in their records. They're probably just being careful with the way they mention it - people might have just forgotten to tick a box or something on a form and might get upset if it's automatically assumed they're not citizens.

I'd imagine there are quite a few advantages to be being an Australian if you're a really good swimmer - you can swim for the country for a start!

I wouldn't have thought it was anything to get offended about.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:05 am
Curse you aqua scum

PaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NickyC
Sounds like they're just making sure that Australian citizens are marked as being such in their records. They're probably just being careful with the way they mention it - people might have just forgotten to tick a box or something on a form and might get upset if it's automatically assumed they're not citizens.

I'd imagine there are quite a few advantages to be being an Australian if you're a really good swimmer - you can swim for the country for a start!

I wouldn't have thought it was anything to get offended about.
I understand that - she's 11 - if she has any future potential she will be an Australian citizen by the time that it matters. It was the apparently in the inverted comma's that annoyed me. As if it was shocking that a young swimmer may not be an australian citizen.

It must just be the way that I read it. The written word can be taken more than one way!

Mrs PHH
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'd definitely ask, and if they are being discriminatory then move her clubs to one more friendly.
Changing clubs/schools, whatever, wouldn't make much difference, as they Swimming SA, are the controlling body in South Australia. As such, would have need of all information for competitors, like CAMS would for motorsport competitors and officials.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

"Dear Susan,

Regards,

Swimming SA team"

Mrs PHH
Unless the fine-print states that you have to be an Australian citizen to take part then I'd say stuff them - you don't need to give any of that sort of information out.

And if it is a pre-requisite then I'd be curious to know why...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Unless the fine-print states that you have to be an Australian citizen to take part then I'd say stuff them - you don't need to give any of that sort of information out.

And if it is a pre-requisite then I'd be curious to know why...
Maybe swimming opportunities in the Olympics etc, where you have to be a citizen to compete for your country.

Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the state wouldn't want to spend loads of money on training and coaching only for the youngster concerned to represent Ireland if they have the talent to do so.

Fair enough IMO.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Maybe swimming opportunities in the Olympics etc, where you have to be a citizen to compete for your country.
Yes I suppose so - hadn't thought of that...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:00 am
Curse you aqua scum

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon the state wouldn't want to spend loads of money on training and coaching only for the youngster concerned to represent Ireland if they have the talent to do so.

Fair enough IMO.
just to say im her father and i'm VERY PROUD TO BE IRISH what are you implying that the irish are no good!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

just to say im her father and i'm VERY PROUD TO BE IRISH what are you implying that the irish are no good!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I think he is saying that if Australia were to spend a lot of their budget (which isn't a lot in most clubs) to train your daughter to be an Olympic class swimmer, then it's not fair if you then turn around and say well actually I'll swim for Ireland, or whatever country you choose. Nothing to do with being Irish.

It would be just the same if you were in Ireland, would you expect them to spend more cash on an Aussie only for them to turn around and say well actually I'll be in the Olympics for Aus instead - that could take valuable funding away from your kid who may then want to represent the country of their birth and where they have spent most of their life - ie Ireland.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

I have to say I too am Irish and extremely proud to be, just like yourself. For the life of me I cant see how you have taken offensive at what Renth said or how you have constude it to mean the Irish are no good?? If anything he is complimenting your daughter by suggesting she is good enough to swim for her country.
Tracie
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:58 am
Curse you aqua scum

Originally Posted by renth

Fair enough IMO.
Hey - the only people that are spending money at the moment is us! Club membership fees, competition entry fees, club costumes, hats etc.

We're not talking about representing countries or anything like it. She's swimming for a small countyside club and her school!!

God forbid that we might want to become Australian citizens!! We're permanent residents who are trying to make a new life for ourselves over here and want to become part of Australian life. Though we're not feeling very welcomed at the moment.

Some honesty from the government would be useful and then at least objective decisions could be made!!

Rant over - have a good day now.

Mrs PHH

Last edited by PaddyHaHa; Feb 15th 2009 at 11:00 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

But the letter wasn't having a go at you It was mentioning others and requesting that you check your details to make sure they are right. If she's good enough by Aus standards to swim for the state, they obviously consider her future abilities to be high enough to swim for the country.

Had they said 'apparently you are stating you are an Australian Citizen, please confirm or she won't be able to swim for the state' you'd have something to complain about. It was nothing like that so what's the problem?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:36 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a simple case of overreaction.

To compete for Australia in sports at an International level you need to be a Citizen and I would guess that Citizens are afforded grants and state sponsorship to aid in progressing towards these International tournaments.

We're not talking about representing countries or anything like it. She's swimming for a small countyside club and her school!!
You were not in Australia during the last Olympics, swimming is a HUGE industry here and they take it very seriously. Don't see this as discrimination, see this as SSA notifying you of the additional benefits available to good swimmers who are also citizens. Australia appears to fund their sporting infrastructure far better than the UK and given the small population you have a much higher likelihood that you will get somewhere if you are talented enough. See this as a good thing which eventually you will likely be able to take advantage of.

Gees mate, you need to chill out. That's not what he's saying. Being Irish and proud won't stop you from becoming an Australian Citizen. I'm Cornish and couldn't be prouder of my lineage, but I'm also going to become an Australian Citizen. There is a rich Cornish heritage in Australian and I'm happy to be another Jack moving over.

It's my guess that you guys are having a tough time of it right now ("3 Month Blues" maybe ?), my advice is just relax and go with the flow. I'm sure your husbands license will get sorted out soon. Australia is big on red tape, forms, licenses for breathing, etc. They also have a very open way of discussing things which is often seen as brash and offensive but people who are not used to such blunt honesty. I myself was asked this weekend if my meatless Macrobiotic detox meant I couldn't "have a tug" too, all because I wasn't having a beer with my Footy mates at the local Cricket club. They are weird beasts but once you get to know them they are very friendly. Still blunt and often painfully honest but very friendly.

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 15th 2009 at 7:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.