Webcams Skype etc..

Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:36 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Webcams Skype etc..

We've got the folks coming over in two weeks. They were over a year ago, and we set up a webcam to work with my brother and his nephews, and it worked quite well. But the audio was terrible. The obvious reason being we had microphones and speakers, so the microphones picked up the sound from the speakers and then echoed it back.

So for this time around I want to do it better. Me and my brother both have better PCs and faster broadband. So the question is, whats the best setup for the ultimate Oz to UK webcam and audio experince.

a) what messenger to use, Yahoo? Microsoft? Google?

b) What setup to use for audio, PC speakers and microphone? (how does that work without getting echo?) or Skype?(how do you use that?) Or just ordinary phone?

c) Any other tips and tricks people have learnt in the last year from using this stuff to see and talk to UK?

All advice and info much appreciated,

ADL
Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:37 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Webcams Skype etc..

Originally Posted by A dogs life
We've got the folks coming over in two weeks. They were over a year ago, and we set up a webcam to work with my brother and his nephews, and it worked quite well. But the audio was terrible. The obvious reason being we had microphones and speakers, so the microphones picked up the sound from the speakers and then echoed it back.

So for this time around I want to do it better. Me and my brother both have better PCs and faster broadband. So the question is, whats the best setup for the ultimate Oz to UK webcam and audio experince.

b) What setup to use for audio, PC speakers and microphone? (how does that work without getting echo?) or Skype?(how do you use that?) Or just ordinary phone?

c) Any other tips and tricks people have learnt in the last year from using this stuff to see and talk to UK?

ADL
And can I ask, if it's at all possible with dial up? My folks refuse to get broadband.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:03 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
And can I ask, if it's at all possible with dial up? My folks refuse to get broadband.
Definitely not! You need some bandwidth, 56k is not enough!(at least for skype)
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:08 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skywalker
Definitely not! You need some bandwidth, 56k is not enough!(at least for skype)
as I suspected. Thanks for confirming it for me.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Download the latest Skype which now includes video too and get yourself a headset. I got a Plantronics for <$20 that does the job nicely
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:53 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Download the latest Skype which now includes video too and get yourself a headset. I got a Plantronics for <$20 that does the job nicely

Yes a headset is the most important thing. If one of you are having trouble hearing the other maybe pause the video, or change its settings to a lower level.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 10:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

ADL
Skype version 2.0 Beta allows you to use video as well as audio and my guess is that it's more than likely better than using MSN Messenger.

Having stated that though, we used MSN Messenger from Sydney to UK a few months ago and it was perfect for our requirements. My webcam is 1.3 megapixels so we looked better than our parents looked as my Dad has an old camera. The sound (microphone built into webcam) was very good too.

My wife spoke to her Mum (same distances involved) using Skype(Out) and the quality was 110%, no lag and to be quite honest very impressive!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 2:41 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I use skype with both my laptop built in microphone / speakers and also with a headset from Logitech.

Both work brilliantly.

If you have fairly up to date equipment, you should have no problem at all.

I have tested my skype to mobiles and land lines and the quality has been excellent all the time.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by furkew
I use skype with both my laptop built in microphone / speakers and also with a headset from Logitech.

Both work brilliantly.

If you have fairly up to date equipment, you should have no problem at all.

I have tested my skype to mobiles and land lines and the quality has been excellent all the time.

I do the same on my Mac with the same equipment and it works brilliantly. Talk to folks in different countries with no problems at all. The line may occasionally have static but in most cases it is clearer than the phone.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
The sound (microphone built into webcam) was very good too.

So how come there is no echo? Seriously this is whats bugging me! If your PC speakers are giving out the other side of the conversation, obviously the microphone will pick it up and transmit it back, thus causing the echo we experience.

How can you have a microphone built into a webcam that doesn't pick up the output from the speakers?

I'd love to just sit and chat without a headset, but logic says thats not possible, unless someone can explain otherwise
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

ADL
Get a Mac. Use iChat.

'nuff said.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Get a Mac. Use iChat.

'nuff said.
And what if you want to talk to the other 95% of computer users
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Get a Mac. Use iChat.

'nuff said.

And Macs have this surreal ability to stop the microphone picking up the output from the speakers

Duh! The question is, has the technology been developed whereby you can have one family on one side sitting around a PC using a microphone and speakers, and another family on the other side using a microphone and speakers without the terrible echo.

Its not a stupid Mac/Wintel debate.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Duh! The question is, has the technology been developed whereby you can have one family on one side sitting around a PC using a microphone and speakers, and another family on the other side using a microphone and speakers without the terrible echo.
Yes. Used to use a desk-standing microphone and speakers with Skype (now use a USB phone), and never had any problems with feedback at all. Not sure why, but it never happened.

Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

And Macs have this surreal ability to stop the microphone picking up the output from the speakers

Its not a stupid Mac/Wintel debate.
Ever thought of trying decaffeinated coffee!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.