Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Are we lucky to be alive........?!

Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we lucky to be alive........?!

lol, just read the last few posts,laughing my socks off here yes matching handbags and huge bangles,polks dot skirts with stripy shirts yukomg what did we look like,if onlt our children could have seen us then

tracey
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

did anyone wear those half black half white clothes and think they were really cool i even dyed my hair black to blend in :scared:

tracey
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:06 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! PMSL that was me too....and I thought I was dead original 'n' all

My 'Pixie' boots were more maroon than red....you sounded a bit more daring than me

Jan (sorry to drag an old thread up, I chanced apon it during a search)

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
and i thought it as just me! I would wear mine with red suede pixie boots! :scared:
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:24 pm
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pots & pans.
When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags, riding in the passenger seat was a treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.
We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.
We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.
We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms.
We had friends we went outside and found them.
We played Kerby and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cuts and broke bones but there were no law suits.
We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents
We played knock-and-run and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.
We walked to friend's homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mum or dad to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.
We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

Now let's check if we're getting old...
1.. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2.. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3.. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4.. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.
5.. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6.. You remember watching Dirty Den in East Enders the first time around.
7.. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, repeating again all the fun you had experienced together Hmmmmm.......
And the skateboard which was a square piece of wood with the weels of a roller skate nailed underneath ... instead of the smart plastic one from woolies at £9.95...and.......'double deckers' during the summer hols... playing knock down ginger......and runouts.... Im sure these games are the same all over but have regional names....anyone else know these?

great post ... touched a nerve with large number of us.

Last edited by foopsy; Aug 12th 2006 at 6:28 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:37 pm
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Craig822
Cheeky

Echo Beach was Martha and the Muffins - classic record though, can't get it out of my flippin head now!! Echo and The Bunnymen were not really mainstream but you may remember 'the Cutter'. (Maybe not!) I used to like Adam and the Ants too but wouldn't admit it because it just would NOT have been cool.

Embarrased now that I can't remember a chart China Crisis track - they were around early Eighties up to the mid-80s but only had a couple of chart tracks. What about OMD (Enola Gay was my fave)

Pity all my records are in storage in the UK otherwise I'd drive the family nuts this weekend.

HATED T'pau and Culture Club
What about wang chung.. ....
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:40 pm
IS VICK THERE

Originally Posted by Craig822
Guys

Got so nostalgic reading this thread yesterday that I flicked to VH1 Classics last night just to wallow in it again! What about the music?:

The Police
The Jam
The Beat (that little guy with wobbly legs always made me laugh)
The great Madness (baggy trousers!)
Blondie (.....I'll be back in a min - just off to the loo!)
Pretenders
Bad Manners (lip up fatty, ah lip up fatty, fatty reggae!!)

then of course onto my era with:

Depeche Mode (saw them twice - once in 1981 and again in 1994)
The Human League
Yazoo (saw them in 82 - Alison Moyet was just out of this world)
Tears for Fears (saw in 82)
Ultravox (oooooooo Vienna! - saw in 86)
China Crisis (going a bit deep here)
Soft Cell (no comment)
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Cure
Spandau Ballet
Wham! (Wham bam....I am...a man....job or nooo job......)
Duran Duran (still good)
ABC (shoot that poison arrow to my heeaaart!, shoot that poison arrow..)

god, I used to have all the clobber too - pleated trousers with 25 pleats in, Cavalry shirts, pointed shoes and a flick haircut

Then what about all the NAFF stuff

Bros
Dollar
Captain bloody sensible
Joe Dolce (kept Vienna off the No 1 slot!)
Kool and the Gang
Hot Chocolate (debateable if Naff or not)

Could go on and on but how about you lot......

Department S ... Is vick there?.....
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:24 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

wedge haircuts..Aston Villa's players had top wedges..(No I dont support Villa .)
Staying up late on a Friday(if Dad was snoring after the pub) to watch the Hammer Horror film hoping to see a bare female breast.Glenda Jackson was a good bet for this
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:36 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Who remembers the adverts for those "briliant" gadgets like the "buttoneer" lol .Was it Ronco who made these marvels?