Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

We can't stop the boats

We can't stop the boats

Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:01 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We can't stop the boats

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Your article actually confirms my point:
It states that it is a myth that they are ALL boat people.
Er yes, and that was the point I was originally making in response to Mohogony's post!

My dentist in Brisbane would refer to herself as a Vietnamese boat person...she didn't come to Australia in a boat though.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:30 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Er yes, and that was the point I was originally making in response to Mohogony's post!

My dentist in Brisbane would refer to herself as a Vietnamese boat person...she didn't come to Australia in a boat though.
Thats because when they were in Vietnam they lived on boats - like house boats, on the rivers and things. A lot of them still do. So there are "boat people" and then there are "boat people" - them that live on boats and them that arrive on boats.

What shall we call the people that live on boats and also arrive on boats then?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ponyrama
What shall we call the people that live on boats and also arrive on boats then?
Queue jumpers?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
The thing is, it's not an issue. It's a massive media beat up, mostly created by John Howard. He successfully put into the minds of the Australian people back in 2001 shortly after the Tampa Affair as well as the September 11th bombings that the two were somehow related. He didn't actually say those words, but he sure did make certain people got the connection. Since then Australia has had an irrational fear of anyone arriving by boat. The actual figures of people arriving by boat compared to any other means to apply for asylum are so minimal (1.5% in '09) that it has been used as a political football by both parties and the media to drum up support and fear.
It's really quite pathetic what the politicians are getting away with here. I have come to expect it of the Aussie media, but the Pollies spreading these types of lies and fears is completely irresponsible. What's even more pathetic is the number of people who believe this bullsh!t

http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/23321/
Same claptrap as usual. Open door policy then? Anybody and everybody who turns up by boat should be let in then?

Full of reasons, as usual, as to why Australia should just fling its doors open to anybody who arrives and says the magic word "asylum", but never any answer as to why that's OK for them to push others out of the queue to enter Australia.

Lets be clear on this... most of those coming to Australia at the moment are from Sri Lanka, where there is NO war, where the traditional homeland of the Tamils is next door in India, where they could get to be catching a bloody scheduled ferry. They are economic, queue jumping, migrants.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:05 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Same claptrap as usual. Open door policy then? Anybody and everybody who turns up by boat should be let in then?
Where did I say that??????? I believe we have a duty, like other nations to take these people in. Whether we do though is a different matter. All I have seen to date is the same old claptrap as usual about "Boat People", when it is clear that they are only a small player in this issue.

I believe all of this should be managed through a clear plan for the future, something none of the politicians are offering, they are simply trying to offload the issue...or even in the case of asylum seekers in general just sweep it under the mat.

As for your response...same usual claptrap that I expect from you...shoot from the hip.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

Where did I say that??????? I believe we have a duty, like other nations to take these people in. Whether we do though is a different matter. All I have seen to date is the same old claptrap as usual about "Boat People", when it is clear that they are only a small player in this issue.

I believe all of this should be managed through a clear plan for the future, something none of the politicians are offering, they are simply trying to offload the issue...or even in the case of asylum seekers in general just sweep it under the mat.

As for your response...same usual claptrap that I expect from you...shoot from the hip.
Come on then, lets hear your "clear plan for the future". You're fond of complaining about the politicians actions, what would YOU do.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:52 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Queue jumpers?
Even if they have a visa and have paid for a very expensive ticket on the Queen Mary 2 after living a life on a naval vessel, serving Queen and Country and getting a few medals and that? Surely not!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:19 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Come on then, lets hear your "clear plan for the future". You're fond of complaining about the politicians actions, what would YOU do.
Other than that being a ridiculous question, which I expect nothing else of you in these types of debates...
I'm not a politician and nor do I intend to be, therefore I am not privvy to budgets and diplomatic pressures that come with this field.

However, I would look to make a cap on the number of migrants allowed in each year. Whether it be through asylum or via skilled migratory. Then maybe offer up a percentage cap of the number of asylum seeker visas granted access each year of those migratory caps. ie: no more than 10% of the migratory visas are to be through asylum. This would not stop the boats from coming in as I don't think this is a real issue. I think all seekers claims should be assessed in country rather than offshore...other than those who are making the claims in their country of origin. In all there should be a ticketing policy on all claims, no matter where the claim is made. There could be different categories of priority (political threats, families etc) which would then mean that there could be no case for "queue jumpers" to exist (just like you get when you go to a Medicare office).

I don't pretend that this is a viable answer, as I said I am not privvy to other info...but it should be a debate that is held without the right-wing political point scoring bullsh!t that we are seeing now. Behind these game players in parliament there are actually some clever guys who I am sure could draw up a very good solution that would benefit all involved, but the people using it to win votes right now have no interest in actually resolving the problem.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Other than that being a ridiculous question, which I expect nothing else of you in these types of debates...
I'm not a politician and nor do I intend to be, therefore I am not privvy to budgets and diplomatic pressures that come with this field.

However, I would look to make a cap on the number of migrants allowed in each year. Whether it be through asylum or via skilled migratory. Then maybe offer up a percentage cap of the number of asylum seeker visas granted access each year of those migratory caps. ie: no more than 10% of the migratory visas are to be through asylum. This would not stop the boats from coming in as I don't think this is a real issue. I think all seekers claims should be assessed in country rather than offshore...other than those who are making the claims in their country of origin. In all there should be a ticketing policy on all claims, no matter where the claim is made. There could be different categories of priority (political threats, families etc) which would then mean that there could be no case for "queue jumpers" to exist (just like you get when you go to a Medicare office).

I don't pretend that this is a viable answer, as I said I am not privvy to other info...but it should be a debate that is held without the right-wing political point scoring bullsh!t that we are seeing now. Behind these game players in parliament there are actually some clever guys who I am sure could draw up a very good solution that would benefit all involved, but the people using it to win votes right now have no interest in actually resolving the problem.
Why is it a ridiculous question? You are fond of spouting off about how the politcians have no interest in resolving the problem... but like all, with those sort of view, generally have no answer of your own.

I actually quite like some of your musings... stuff like "no more than 10% of the migratory visas are to be through asylum" sounds great, but no doubt you would be amongst the first to be up in arms if/when that 10% is reached and Australia would start turning back everybody who arrived after that and tried to claim 'asylum'.

Ever thought that the politicians who are undertaking "the right-wing political point scoring bullsh!t" are doing so because they think it reflects the feelings of a large part of the Australian public?