Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

We can't stop the boats

We can't stop the boats

Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We can't stop the boats

Whilst I think boat people are queue jumpers and paid a lot of money to leapfrog those in United Nations refugee camps I do think that their initiative and gumption in doing it makes it less likely that they will spend their lives on the dole when they get here.

They are much more likely to end up running thriving businesses, much like my colleague whose family came here from Vietnam, clinging to a floating door. Well, on board a leaky boat anyway. I'm always inspired when I hear stories like these.

Maybe we should be welcoming the boat people and telling the UN Humanitarian Program to send their reffos elsewhere.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Whilst I think boat people are queue jumpers and paid a lot of money to leapfrog those in United Nations refugee camps I do think that their initiative and gumption in doing it makes it less likely that they will spend their lives on the dole when they get here.

They are much more likely to end up running thriving businesses, much like my colleague whose family came here from Vietnam, clinging to a floating door. Well, on board a leaky boat anyway. I'm always inspired when I hear stories like these.

Maybe we should be welcoming the boat people and telling the UN Humanitarian Program to send their reffos elsewhere.
The Vietnamese boat people were amazing and were honest asylum seekers and the stories of what some of them did once they found a country to take them in are truly inspirational, the children who became geniuses at whatever subject etc. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the current fleets of boat people in the same light. Don't believe they are escaping the same issues and as I remember it, the Vietnamese weren't paying large amounts of money to a third party, they just got together to escape.

You may be right though, some of them may be what the country needs for the future.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Perhaps we could swap some of our low life scum dole bludgers for refugees on a one for one basis.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Perhaps we could swap some of our low life scum dole bludgers for refugees on a one for one basis.
Then there will be no Australians left.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes he's right; we can't stop the boats.
I think this could probably stop the boats.

Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:37 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm not a boat person. I found the place from the air. I think there should be a law whereby no previous PM can ever be asked their opinion on current politics. At least he's funny most of the time.
100% correct...they managed to shut Thatcher up eventually (though I liked her till she went bonkers)
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:41 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
100% correct...they managed to shut Thatcher up eventually (though I liked her till she went bonkers)
...about the time she first got elected then?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:36 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The Vietnamese boat people were amazing and were honest asylum seekers and the stories of what some of them did once they found a country to take them in are truly inspirational, the children who became geniuses at whatever subject etc. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the current fleets of boat people in the same light. Don't believe they are escaping the same issues and as I remember it, the Vietnamese weren't paying large amounts of money to a third party, they just got together to escape.

You may be right though, some of them may be what the country needs for the future.
Yes the vietnamese sailed from vietnam to OZ, the current boat people fly to Indonesia then pay people smugglers to take them to OZ.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 13th 2010 at 12:39 am.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes the vietnamese sailed from vietnam to OZ
Rubbish, where did you make that up from?

The vast majority of them were resettled from refugee camps in SE Asia, including Indonesia. A tiny number sailed direct from Vietnam to Aus.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:46 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The former Labor prime minister [Mr Hawke] repeated his attack on Mr Abbott describing him as "mad as a cut snake" and said Australia needed people like those arriving by boat to claim asylum because they had initiative and courage.

This wording of 'illegal' is often picked over.
The question is .. Is it legal for us to arrive in Australia without a Visa ?
If it is legal, then why won't they let us in without one ?
If it isn't legal, then it is illegal.

The odd thing is this bit.. Howard stopped them, so I don't see why Hawke says it can't be done, when it actually can be done.
Kinell, that's a trifecta of fail.

1) Read critically what he actually said instead of what you imagine he said. Hawke said Australia needed people with those characteristics, not that refugees who arrive by boat should be allowed to stay in Australia as a matter of course or right or without processing.

2) It is not illegal to present yourself at a frontier and request refugee status. In fact, it's a right guaranteed by international law.

3) Howard didn't "stop the boats". He just intercepted them, shifted the problem offshore, at great expense, before the the asylum seekers' applications were processed and the vast majority were found to be refugees to be moved to Australia.
Originally Posted by bcworld
Rubbish, where did you make that up from?
Same place he gets all his information in his many, many threads and posts which demonstrate his remarkable preoccupation with foreigners, immigrants, asylum seekers, Aboriginals, Chinese, millionaire Chinese, Asians...
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

It is incredibly easy to stop them - simply blow them up. Whats the point in having a military if it doesnt stop an invasion force? The time for brutal military action has come.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:45 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
It is incredibly easy to stop them - simply blow them up. Whats the point in having a military if it doesnt stop an invasion force? The time for brutal military action has come.
You wouldn't be posting this crap to create a flame war would you mate
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:56 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who can get here on the equivalent of a floating door has my sympathy. I get so seasick on a boat its unreal.

Also, theres plenty of room in WA and Perth needs livening up a bit so whats the problem? (*ducks for cover*)
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:57 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Whats the point in having a military if it doesnt stop an invasion force? The time for brutal military action has come.
I agree entirely. Bloody Poms, coming over here, filling up the country with their misinformed, poorly thought-through simplistic bollocks...
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:08 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Kinell, that's a trifecta of fail.

1) Read critically what he actually said instead of what you imagine he said. Hawke said Australia needed people with those characteristics, not that refugees who arrive by boat should be allowed to stay in Australia as a matter of course or right or without processing.

2) It is not illegal to present yourself at a frontier and request refugee status. In fact, it's a right guaranteed by international law.

3) Howard didn't "stop the boats". He just intercepted them, shifted the problem offshore, at great expense, before the the asylum seekers' applications were processed and the vast majority were found to be refugees to be moved to Australia.
I've noticed a common trend with ABCDiamond over recent weeks. He seems to have dropped his reliance on Australian Bureau of Statistics Facts and replaced them with Coalition "Facts"

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Aug 13th 2010 at 10:27 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.